Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Remember @ the draft when everyone was surprised/mad by this pick.

Work'd out pretty well if you ask me. For all the shit our scouts are taking, they are making some decent pick these last couples of years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Starting to lean this way too. I thought Romanov may have some untapped offensive potential but he hasn't shown any of it, so Im kinda dropping him there. I don't think Sandin has that high of an offensive potential either, but he's producing in the AHL, so its hard to debate.

I think it's hard to compare offensive ability with Sandin playing as a key piece in the AHL to Romanov in the KHL in a sheltered role.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
How many pucks Brett Hull used to shoot daily? 100? 200? 500? Read it was a lot.

Ted Williams used to drive hundreds of balls daily.

Practice makes perfect

I used to hit up the Range daily and smash like 150 balls. Found after a while though it's super easy to develop bad habits if you do it too much too. Find you need a healthy balance

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Starting to lean this way too. I thought Romanov may have some untapped offensive potential but he hasn't shown any of it, so Im kinda dropping him there. I don't think Sandin has that high of an offensive potential either, but he's producing in the AHL, so its hard to debate.

it's hard to say though as i watch a lot of his games but he's getting the Kotka treatment. He's been the 7th D at least half the season and even when he's not the 7th he's never higher then 5th outside of yesterdays game as I didn't check other then to see he had almost double the TOI in the 3rd then he had in the 1st or 2nd but no time in OT.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I guess we will only know Romanov's offensive ability when he is played in that role. Sandin gets that chance in the AHL but Romanov does not with his KHL team
Ya for sure, that's a good point. We'll only really know once he comes over to North America. Right now it's a projection but there are so many variables (usage, ice size, development etc.) Time will tell.

Regardless of his offensive output, I think he will be a very good player for us. If all goes well, I think a good comparable is Hjalmarsson; not the most offensive guy but a super reliable top 4 guy who can play in a shutdown role.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Always love when I hear about prospects ''working out great'' before they reach the pros....

Not saying it's working great in the pros yet. Saying that we have way more reasons to be hyped about Romanov than other picks before that couldn't even be noticeable in their own junior league.

I do agree that he has to prove that he can play in the NHL before being considered a good pick tho.

Should have said '' work'd out pretty well SO FAR ''

Reactions: dralaf

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not saying it's working great in the pros yet. Saying that we have way more reasons to be hyped about Romanov than other picks before that couldn't even be noticeable in their own junior league.

Well at this point, some will say that Bode Wilde looks awesome too. Romanov style of play looks great. Stats aren't there, obviously 'cause he's not used that much. But not sure how we could look at the entre thing and just come to the conclusion that it's already surely the best pick we could have made....we are not there yet. Surely, it looks better than not even knowing who that guy was all about....to what we know about him now. Yep, it's a big improvement. But let's wait on the pro evaluation and the he's better than everybody else in that round....I will tell you that on D, Martin Fehervary looks great too.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Let's not forget it in the Romanov's case that production plus the ice time are interconnected and dependant to each other.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
with a young player, what you see isn't necessarily what you get.

Mete still may have a lot of room for growth. No need to assume he's plateaued offensively.
I never said he plateaued. That would be ridiculous for a 21 year old kid. He has a certain style of attack and I'm not sure that will change. He's not very creative and that's just your DNA. But of course the kid will get better in many other ways.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Always love when I hear about prospects ''working out great'' before they reach the pros....

What would you rather see? Disappointing results in their draft plus 1 and plus 2 years.. like in past years? We all know the bust/hit factor and some won't make it but our prospect pool is deep with quality and quantity and many trending in the right direction. It is working out great but things will change year to year.

Prime example? Look at how Kotkaniemi has fallen in stock value and how Suzuki has increased his? Look at Juulsen before his injury and then after and how Fleury has taken that spot.

Probability is working in our favor like never before or in decades! Anybody trying to compare our current group to anything in the past decade or two don't understand trends and development after that draft.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I never said he plateaued. That would be ridiculous for a 21 year old kid. He has a certain style of attack and I'm not sure that will change. He's not very creative and that's just your DNA. But of course the kid will get better in many other ways.

Mete is not really creative? I'm assuming you are talking about his offensive rushes? Would you rather have a stay at home type or someone with a lower hockey IQ? Mete's our best puck mover and he's very effective in his own end causing turnovers. He may not be creative on the offensive attack but he's very creative with his slick passes in our break outs.

Mete is growing and I like how he is dealing with the physicality. It was my biggest issue with him but the more and more I watch him, the more he impresses me. He's a good one!

Reactions: dralaf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let's not forget it in the Romanov's case that production plus the ice time are interconnected and dependant to each other.

I just wonder what kind of offensive production he puts up as a 19 year in the AHL this year if he was in a more important role like Sandin for example. Was Romanov's offensive flare in the WJC a fluke?

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Mete is not really creative? I'm assuming you are talking about his offensive rushes? Would you rather have a stay at home type or someone with a lower hockey IQ? Mete's our best puck mover and he's very effective in his own end causing turnovers. He may not be creative on the offensive attack but he's very creative with his slick passes in our break outs.

Mete is growing and I like how he is dealing with the physicality. It was my biggest issue with him but the more and more I watch him, the more he impresses me. He's a good one!
I said two years ago he would be a very good D in this league. He's great with his exit passes. But in the offensive zone , at this moment, he seems to only have a speed rush to the net. Doesn't really look for the pass or anything. could that change? Perhaps. But I'm happy with him so far.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I said two years ago he would be a very good D in this league. He's great with his exit passes. But in the offensive zone , at this moment, he seems to only have a speed rush to the net. Doesn't really look for the pass or anything. could that change? Perhaps. But I'm happy with him so far.

Who cares if he is limited offensively. He's a huge piece for us in terms of puck movement and he might not be creative on offense but he is very creative with his puck movement in our own end. You take him out of our D, we have major issues.

I think he is growing right in front of our eyes and who knows how much growth he has to go. He has high hockey IQ for being able to make the NHL as a undersized 19 year playing D.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
What would you rather see? Disappointing results in their draft plus 1 and plus 2 years.. like in past years? We all know the bust/hit factor and some won't make it but our prospect pool is deep with quality and quantity and many trending in the right direction. It is working out great but things will change year to year.

Prime example? Look at how Kotkaniemi has fallen in stock value and how Suzuki has increased his? Look at Juulsen before his injury and then after and how Fleury has taken that spot.

Probability is working in our favor like never before or in decades! Anybody trying to compare our current group to anything in the past decade or two don't understand trends and development after that draft.

You don't think there's a difference between loving to see a kid developing well....and thinking that we WON a deal or that HATERS should shut up or that Habs scouts KNOW better for a kid that hasn't reach the pros yet?

As far as the comparison well it makes no sense. What you are doing is comparing a group we KNOW weren't good enough with a group we STILL don't know how they'll fare in the pros no matter how good they are looking now.

Strangely, you go on by saying how things can change fast...how about you apply it to your own evaluation of our current groupu of prospects? Any chance that the group you say looks incredibly good might not look that good later on?

At one point, back in the days, Danny Kristo was developing nicely too. Louis Leblanc as small as he was reached the NHL fairly young and had a great 1st season. Collberg in his first camp looked already like a NHL'er. Juraj Mikus looked like a future Palat. Valentenko was seen as a better Emelin. Avtsin a future Ovechkin. Nygren a steal in the round he was picked. Forgetting what was said at the time is just ludicrous and bad faith. Tinordi and Beaulieu were CERTAINLY part of our future top 4. Not top 6. Top 4. You can't analyse using hindsight for 1 group and predictions with another....

Yes, I ALSO think it looks better. For sure. But everybody can be wrong. And to me there's a difference between liking a progression and ALREADY stating that we are great!!!

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You don't think there's a difference between loving to see a kid developing well....and thinking that we WON a deal or that HATERS should shut up or that Habs scouts KNOW better for a kid that hasn't reach the pros yet?

As far as the comparison well it makes no sense. What you are doing is comparing a group we KNOW weren't good enough with a group we STILL don't know how they'll fare in the pros no matter how good they are looking now.

Strangely, you go on by saying how things can change fast...how about you apply it to your own evaluation of our current groupu of prospects? Any chance that the group you say looks incredibly good might not look that good later on?

At one point, back in the days, Danny Kristo was developing nicely too. Louis Leblanc as small as he was reached the NHL fairly young and had a great 1st season. Collberg in his first camp looked already like a NHL'er. Juraj Mikus looked like a future Palat. Valentenko was seen as a better Emelin. Avtsin a future Ovechkin. Nygren a steal in the round he was picked. Forgetting what was said at the time is just ludicrous and bad faith. Tinordi and Beaulieu were CERTAINLY part of our future top 4. Not top 6. Top 4. You can't analyse using hindsight for 1 group and predictions with another....

Yes, I ALSO think it looks better. For sure. But everybody can be wrong. And to me there's a difference between liking a progression and ALREADY stating that we are great!!!

Nope. I need you to cherry pick a point in time from the past. Not several points in time where you add them together and try to compare it to this exact point in time today. Go ahead and waste your time but if you do, I'd like to see that point in time you are talking about. Don't cherry pick the best development from several prospects over a span. Cherry pick a date and tell me that date. I'll review it for you and I will tell you right now, I'll change my mind if you can find something that compares in draft plus development and the important ingredients of quality/quantity we have today. Lets do this!

Nov 20th, 2019 vs ?????? Lets say the last 20 years.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
They're saving Bergy's toosh
Well he didn’t hire them to fail time after time......if anything I’d say they’re finally doing their job and quite frankly, they, the scouts are saving their own asses

Nope. I need you to cherry pick a point in time from the past. Not several points in time where you add them together and try to compare it to this exact point in time today. Go ahead and waste your time but if you do, I'd like to see that point in time you are talking about. Don't cherry pick the best development from several prospects over a span. Cherry pick a date and tell me that date. I'll review it for you and I will tell you right now, I'll change my mind if you can find something that compares in draft plus development and the important ingredients of quality/quantity we have today. Lets do this!

I’ll play!!!!....

October 21st 2011

Ya, the ones that falter in junior normally become great NHLers, I’d rather hear about those ones

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Ya, the ones that falter in junior normally become great NHLers, I’d rather hear about those ones

No they don't. I still have on idea what it has to do with that. It's not because the ones that fail in juniors means that everybody that succeeds in it will.....Strange comparison.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Makes no sense man. You want me to take a point in time, so you'll be able to make the comparison based on what we know NOW that it didn't work out compared to what we know NOW that we actually don't know 'cause most kids we are excited about that haven't reached the pros and don't know how they'll fare.

And again, in no way shape or from am I stating that it doesn't look good. Nor that it looks like some of those guys will pan out. But I still have no idea how we can ALREADY state that they made it. That's my whole point. If you choose not to understand that, not my fault.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Things change fast....one way or the other. Nobody talked about Fleury. It was all about Brook. How is Fleury doing? In the NHL? How is Brook doing? In the AHL? Not that long ago, before we drafted Primeau, we were incredible excited with Lindgren and McNiven. Then Primeau came along, and NOBODY talked about those 2 guys. Actually we now want Lindgren gone. So McNiven has some room with Primeau. But now it's Primeau and him alone for the NHL.

I know one thing, right now, to this day, the callups we have available that are playing well for the big club are Hudon and Belzile. And on D...geez, it's probaby Alzner. Yes, I know quite a few guys are in Europe....but do you think there are candidates out there that would deserve and would fair well in a NHL callup? Even Romanov?

Reactions: Habs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad