Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So...there's actually a chance that the kid doesn'T come next year? Did they asked what was his intentions before drafting him?

as of now he has no contract after this season. There's a chance of anything though, he could give up hockey to take up suggestive dancing puppets for all we know. Just have to wait and see what happens, if he re-signs with CSKA then clearly we have to wait, if not then he's likely coming over.

Last edited:

Frank JT

Feb 8, 2014
Chiarot : we need Romanov as soon as possible at Montréal! Next year would be great.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
So...there's actually a chance that the kid doesn'T come next year? Did they asked what was his intentions before drafting him?

That’s why you have to be EXTREME cautious about drafting russian.

You never know if they’ll ever come over here. Ask Minnesota.

Would not be the first time Bergevin messes up his communication with a Russian player...

Romanov will be in Montreal just as long as Bergevin doesn't overplay his hand.

By that I mean he stops insulting Romanov by saying CSKA is purposely jerking the kid around and/or he starts laying it on thick to get Romanov to sign (as GMs have done numerous times to entice Russians out of the KHL). Romanov has plenty of ex-NHL teammates who will advise him if their BS detectors go off.

As long as Bergevin is honest and direct, Romanov should be a Hab next year. And don’t think for a second that Papa Bilyatetdinov isnt looking out for the kids best interest. He’ll likely have the final blessing on what Romanov does.

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
LeBrun said on Insider Trading last night that MB went last year to Russia to visit Romanov and meet his family.

In July, Romanov and his family came to Montreal, visited the city and the facilities (we know Romanov skated on his own as he wasn't permitted to participate in the Development Camp).

And LeBrun confirmed what Lavoie said yesterday. That MB will return to Russia in early December to meet with Romanov, as well.

So we know MB is taking the necessary steps to make Romanov feel like Montreal is the right place for him next year. He's making this a priority of his.

Norman Flynn mentioned on Antichambre a week or so ago that at the WJC last year, he ran into Romanov and asked him when he will be in Montreal. Romanov smiled and said in two years. Basically, he was under contract last year and this year with CSKA. So after that, he gave Flynn the impression he wants to come to the NHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Do you guys think he will be over next year, and will he be ready?

yes and maybe. I think he could have played in the NHL this year but the question should be is that's what's best for his future? Right now my main concern with him is his offensive upside so the only way I see him playing in Laval next year is if he doesn't take a step or two forward in his offensive game this year, which so far it's looking like he has since he has 1 less point then last year but in 15 games vs 43 last year.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
TSN's Gord Miller said Marc Bergevin has flown to Russia the past two seasons to try to convince Alex Romanov to come play for the Habs, but Alex would not agree. He likes playing in the KHL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Do you guys think he will be over next year, and will he be ready?

If you were him, you would sign the ELC as soon as you can...that's next year. Is he ready? He should be very close cause he is holding his own in the KHL which is the 2nd best hockey league in the world. If Sandin can make the NHL at 19, Romanov can at 20.

Who is he going to be fighting a spot against? Mete, Chariot, Kulak, Reilly. That should be interesting to see who the odd man out if Romanov makes the team out of camp.

Chances he plays AHL? Yes, there is a chance but I think he can beat out Kulak and Reilly for the bottom pairing spot and he might give Mete some competition

Reactions: BLONG7

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
TSN's Gord Miller said Marc Bergevin has flown to Russia the past two seasons to try to convince Alex Romanov to come play for the Habs, but Alex would not agree. He likes playing in the KHL.

Miller has his facts wrong it appears.... How can Bergevin convince Romanov to come when he is under KHL contract? He likely flew to Russia to talk to him face to face and what his plans are but we can't sign him until his KHL contract expires.

Reactions: Steeler23

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If you were him, you would sign the ELC as soon as you can...that's next year. Is he ready? He should be very close cause he is holding his own in the KHL which is the 2nd best hockey league in the world. If Sandin can make the NHL at 19, Romanov can at 20.

Who is he going to be fighting a spot against? Mete, Chariot, Kulak, Reilly. That should be interesting to see who the odd man out if Romanov makes the team out of camp.

Chances he plays AHL? Yes, there is a chance but I think he can beat out Kulak and Reilly for the bottom pairing spot and he might give Mete some competition
He's not leaving the KHL to go play in the AHL.

If Habs manage to sign him, which i'm sure they will, it's with assurances that he'll be playing in in the NHL.

There's really no point in signing him to an ELC and out of the KHL, if you're not sure he can hack it in the NHL next year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

If Habs manage to sign him, which i'm sure they will, it's with assurances that he'll be playing in in the NHL.

There's really no point in signing him to an ELC and out of the KHL, if you're not sure he can hack it in the NHL next year.

Pretty sure they told that to Poehling as well. Once you are under contract, what do you do? Become difficult or suck it up, play and earn your spot?

Of course we have every intention to play Romanov on our roster but maybe we offer him a chance to make the roster and if he does not, we let him sign a one year KHL deal? Is that permitted in the NHL CBA if you already have ELC? How was Lehkonen able to have this situation back when... NHL or back overseas?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Pretty sure they told that to Poehling as well. Once you are under contract, what do you do? Become difficult or suck it up?
Not the same situation - but let's be honest, if not for an untimely concussion during training camp, Ryan Poehling would be on the team right now.

He's not long for the AHL.

It's weird, if you read this board the AHL has become the "new NHL".

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not the same situation - but let's be honest, if not for an untimely concussion during training camp, Ryan Poehling would be on the team right now.

He's not long for the AHL.

It's weird, if you read this board the AHL has become the "new NHL".

I agree but what we say during contract negotiations and what becomes reality can and often become different things. Habs can't give him an automatic spot and Romanov knows this. All we can tell him is we will not sign anyone else on the LD side and one of those 3 spots is yours if you can win the job over Mete, Chariot, Kulak, Reilly... If Romanov knows anything about the Habs, he will tell you to hold his beer and watch him lol

Reactions: jaffy27 and 417

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
as of now he has no contract after this season. There's a chance of anything though, he could give up hockey to take up suggestive dancing puppets for all we know. Just have to wait and see what happens, if he re-signs with CSKA then clearly we have to wait, if not then he's likely coming over.

He seems like he's ready to play at the NHL level and that he visited Montreal during the off season says a lot.

Not sure who would be the odd man out though coming next season, a lot riding on Mete and Kulack this season.

Reactions: jaffy27

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

since Romanov was drafted in '18, Bergevin could have only gone over to play for the Habs last year since the year before he wasn't in our organization. Now maybe he went over then to scout him. But it has nothing to do with him liking the KHL or not, he was under contract and there's no PTA in place with Russia and the NHL so Romanov had zero choice, he had to play in the KHL this year. He would have had to bought out his contract 2 years ago in order to have been free to sign with the Habs at the end of last season. Since he wasn't even drafted, of course it wouldn't make sense to do that.

He seems like he's ready to play at the NHL level and that he visited Montreal during the off season says a lot.

Not sure who would be the odd man out though coming next season, a lot riding on Mete and Kulack this season.

They can worry about who plays where, Kulak can play RD if need be, they can trade a body or two.

Reactions: Steeler23

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

How can anybody be certain that a guy will crack a NHL lineup coming from bigger surfaces, not a lot of icetime, with the playing style of the KHL? Unless the guy destroys the competition....how do you know?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Blessing in disguise if he ends up being forced to stay in KHL another 2-3 years. Stops Montreal from rushing him and lets him potentially develop in KHL into a star D first.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
How can anybody be certain that a guy will crack a NHL lineup coming from bigger surfaces, not a lot of icetime, with the playing style of the KHL? Unless the guy destroys the competition....how do you know?
I guess you don't know but signing him to an ELC yo bring him out of the KHL = you're committed to doing it IMO.

He's not signing with some type of guarantee IMO.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
They can worry about who plays where, Kulak can play RD if need be, they can trade a body or two.[/QUOTE]

Not sure there's a future on RD in the coming years.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Don't precipate aggressively the things. Must be diplomatic with CSKA. Talks, negociations, dialogues, discussions musn't be exclusively with the Romanov's agent. The business of hockey isn't simple as it seems. Each of those clubs are fighting for their asset (player). As for Romanov, poor him he got already the LD's savior tag behind his back.

Gyfu

May 16, 2011

Not leaving the khl to play in the ahl or nhl of course, impossible cause of transfer agreement, unless you meant he won't sign with us to play in the ahl which would lead to an nhl or back to europe clause, that i could see but honestly i think he's a hab next year, he's been crushing fully grown men for 2 years already, he's a brick wall, no nonsense competitive all-around dman... Can't wait for this kid to cross the pond

Reactions: 417

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Bugs me to see Romanov getting so little ice time even if it’s the Russian norm for pros. Is it 100% confirmed he’s coming over next year? I forget the details.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Bugs me to see Romanov getting so little ice time even if it’s the Russian norm for pros. Is it 100% confirmed he’s coming over next year? I forget the details.

It will never be confirmed until he signs his ELC. But all indications point to him wanting to come here next year. His contract with CSKA expires on April 30th, 2020. They will surely try to keep him there so they will make contract offers. But Romanov has said his goal is to play in the NHL. And the only way he can do that is if he signs with Montreal.

CSKA can offer him more money now because in the NHL, there is a max amount teams can offer on an ELC. But if he thinks long term goals, he will sign with Habs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->