Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I assume Romanov will be here next year but I don't think he'll be in Laval unless they send him there to work on his offensive game. What does that mean for the current blueliners, well I think a few will be gone. Romanov can play both sides, Kulak can play both sides, we don't know what's going on with Juulsen, Brook and Fleury can play in the AHL next year without needing to go through waivers. Plus they could trade someone.

At this point they just need Romanov not to re-sign with his KHL club, as long as that happens, we know he's coming over most likely. Once he's here then see how he looks at camp and go from there. I wouldn't be against time in Laval to work on his offense but I would think that if he's coming over he's going to spend a lot of time in the NHL depending on how much he progresses this year as it's still very early in the season.

Reactions: S Bah and dralaf

HabsMD97

Jun 30, 2014
king's landing
His defensive game is already better than some NHL d. If he plays in laval next year it's cuz theres no room for him the main club not because he needs to iron out his game in the the AHL

Reactions: dralaf

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I assume Romanov will be here next year but I don't think he'll be in Laval unless they send him there to work on his offensive game. What does that mean for the current blueliners, well I think a few will be gone. Romanov can play both sides, Kulak can play both sides, we don't know what's going on with Juulsen, Brook and Fleury can play in the AHL next year without needing to go through waivers. Plus they could trade someone.

At this point they just need Romanov not to re-sign with his KHL club, as long as that happens, we know he's coming over most likely. Once he's here then see how he looks at camp and go from there. I wouldn't be against time in Laval to work on his offense but I would think that if he's coming over he's going to spend a lot of time in the NHL depending on how much he progresses this year as it's still very early in the season.

I truly hope that Romanov will be here when the Habs are making their run for their 25th SCC & Canada's first in 27 years, been drinking so I might be out a year let's just call it a generation.(For Canadians & Canadiens rubs my rhubarb too!!!) So Leafs/Oilers/Flames pay heed it's our turn despite the Olympic's and our humble nature?!! We love people not a bad nature just misunderstood, about time talent & hard earned work decides the outcome, not diplomacy/money. Let's have at it this year may the best team win, best players(Sportsmen) are always the winners. Go Habs Go!!!... Oh Yeah Congratulations to the St.Louis Blues & Organization. Nice to see the Habs have great talent in their pipeline, also nice to see that the St,Louis Blues won the SCC, hard earned after 52yrs. in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toene

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Unlikely he goes to laval.
He's already playing in a better league than the ahl, and he should be good enough to play in our bottom pairing in the nhl next season.

It can be about TOI, playing 20+ min in the AHL or 12 min in the KHL is a big difference. He isn't from a poor family after all to value money above everything (and money isn't that big right now).

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
MB wants to sell him on a top 4 slot on our d-core, i think he'd be a good fit w/ Weber. Obviously he's gonna need to perform to stay in the NHL but i doubt he's gonna start in Laval. He's gonna get every opportunity to showcase himself.

We're in desperate need of a physical/puck moving LHD who can handle hard d-zone minutes.

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015

Honestly I'd have to see more of Romanov in person, but from what I have seen he seems to be the real deal.

I wonder if the plan is one year in Laval under Bouchard and then integration to the big club. We saw it this year with Fleury, I can see Brook making the jump next year and someone like Romanov the year after (although the way Bergevin / Timmins seem to talk about him, he may skip the A altogether).

If this pans out, it's actually nice to almost completely rebuild the defense from within. It's been a long time.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

The KHL is quite aggressive in retaining their good young talent. Magnitogorsk essentially had Dorothy over the barrel to sign a new contract. Given that he was a 3rd round pick, it was probably the smart decision for him to extend. He played 36 seconds of ice time in his last game.

tintinetmilou

Mar 22, 2010
It was the same thing with Emelin as he came 1 or 2 years later. I think MB will promess him top 4 minutes...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

They can offer more money in that 3 year ELC but then it's not even close in terms of the career money he can make. Pretty sure his agent is telling him to sign that NHL ELC and lets burn this as fast as we can. The fact that he has not signed an extension with his KHL team yet likely means he is coming to the NHL next year. KHL team is clearly frustrated and I don't blame them but hey... The NHL is the best league in the world so Romanov got to do what's best for him.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Honestly I'd have to see more of Romanov in person, but from what I have seen he seems to be the real deal.

I wonder if the plan is one year in Laval under Bouchard and then integration to the big club. We saw it this year with Fleury, I can see Brook making the jump next year and someone like Romanov the year after (although the way Bergevin / Timmins seem to talk about him, he may skip the A altogether).

If this pans out, it's actually nice to almost completely rebuild the defense from within. It's been a long time.

The plan is to get him signed to the ELC as soon as possible and he gets a chance to crack our roster on the LD side which is a team need. He will be fighting Mete, Chariot, and Kulak. Who's the odd man out? We will find out and competition is a good thing.

If I was Romanov, do what Lehkonen did. NHL roster of back over seas. Is he allowed to sign a KHL contract after he already has a ELC but with exceptions? How was Lehkonen able to possibly go back to SHL if he didn't make our team back when? Different rules between SHL and KHL? Not sure

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
This again? And from a GM?

Put it this way. Every player ahead of Romanov on CSKA’s depth chart would currently exterminate the competition in the CHL, which is where Romanov would be playing if he was born in Toronto or wherever. Seasoned vets vs boys.
For that same reason, every one of those vets would be, without question, Russia’s #1 dman at the U-20, well ahead of Romanov.
Yet, the reason all these veterans are receiving more minutes on CSKA is because the organization is punishing Romanov? Well, okay then Bergevin. Just behave and don't break anything while you're looking around.

Reminds me of when Minnesota's media couldn't explain why Kaprizov chose to sign with CSKA instead of the Wild. They said Putin strong-armed Kaprizov into signing.:laugh: At least your GM isn't that ridiculous.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Is that why Romanov was not rated high?

There were some shenanigans during his international tournaments. He was a beast at the WJAC (that's where Timmins said Alex caught his eye, and all I remember was Romanov scoring goals), but at the WJC 18 he was being played way down the lineup for absolutely no reason. Hell of a pick though.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So...there's actually a chance that the kid doesn'T come next year? Did they asked what was his intentions before drafting him?

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
That’s why you have to be EXTREME cautious about drafting russian.

You never know if they’ll ever come over here. Ask Minnesota.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad