Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico Suave

Jan 30, 2019
yea not worried one bit about Romanov extending hes contract in russia,hes coming to NA next summer

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I’d imagine Romanov would want the same deal that KK got. If he doesn’t make the big team he’d go back home but I see what you mean by there being a lack of a transfer deal. So most likely a one way contract where even if he is sent down, he’ll still get NHL $$. I doubt he’d want a two way especially with the way he’s being cooed to stay in Russia.
ELC are always two-way.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
This discussion is going in circles. Perhaps you need to let it go. His position isn't that hard to understand. And while you don't have to agree with it, it has some value.

Brook showed,in a lower league, a style of play that can translate to #1 defenseman. Therefore, even though there is risk that he doesn't reach that potential, he has a very high ceiling. Romanov showed a more defensive style of play which could translate into a solid defensive defenseman in the NHL. Having done it in a stronger league, it is easy to believe it can be repeated in the NHL sooner than later. However, before he shows more offense (on a more consistent basis than 7 games at WJC), Mr.B1p doesn't feel confident evaluating his potential as high as Brook.

In the end, who cares? Two fans of the same fan base have slightly different opinions on two prospects their team owns that they both like a lot. Time will tell if Romanov has a bit more offense and if Brook can translate his junior play in the NHL.

It’s little disingenuous to say Romanov only showed offensive ability at the WJC, or that he needs to show more offensive consistency.
He’s been exceptionally good offensively whenever playing against his peers. Last year = 18 points in 22 games for U20 Russia against competition overall slightly higher than the average CHL game. This includes the annual Russia/Canada series where he was glued to the bench because of an injury. He also was a point/game player vs men at the Kaufland Cup.
The only time his offense is limited is in KHL; but that’s to be expected.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It’s little disingenuous to say Romanov only showed offensive ability at the WJC, or that he needs to show it more on a consistent basis.
He’s been exceptionally good offensively whenever playing against his peers. Last year = 18 points in 22 games for U20 Russia against competition overall slightly higher than the average CHL game. This includes the annual Russia/Canada series where he was glued to the bench because of an injury. He also was a point/game player vs men at the Kaufland Cup.
The only time his offense is limited is in KHL; but that’s to be expected.
How was he in the MHL ?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He didn't play in the MHL last year. Only KHL.
He did, however play in the MHL, and his production wasn't good. He was 75th in the MHL in scoring, he was 9th in points for u18s, and 7th in PPG.

Now, thats solely stats watching, as I haven't watched Romanov at all for the 2018 draft aside from WJAC and WJC-18.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
He did, however play in the MHL, and his production wasn't good. He was 75th in the MHL in scoring, he was 9th in points for u18s, and 7th in PPG.

Now, thats solely stats watching, as I haven't watched Romanov at all for the 2018 draft aside from WJAC and WJC-18.

You’re citing MHL stats from 2 years ago. What do those gotta do with anything? Players often develop tremendously from year to year. Montreal obviously saw Romanov’s untapped potential and he’s now fulfilling that as he’s taken his offensive game to ridiculous new heights.

If you’re argument is reduced to stat watching from 2 years ago, I’m not sure you have much of an argument.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You’re citing MHL stats from 2 years ago. What do those gotta do with anything? Players often develop tremendously from year to year. Montreal obviously saw Romanov’s untapped potential and he’s now fulfilling that as he’s taken his offensive game to ridiculous new heights.

If you’re argument is reduced to stat watching from 2 years ago, I’m not sure you have much of an argument.
But this is my whole point, this is what Romanov has shown so far. He has one high value year, and before that, he wasn't a special player, in fact, he was statistically very average.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
But this is my whole point, this is what Romanov has shown so far. He has one high value year, and before that, he wasn't a special player, in fact, he was statistically very average.

You're entitled to your opinion, but current projection isn't based upon what a player did 2 years ago. This is why scouts actually watch players and not stat count. Last year if you actually watched Romanov against his peers, on any consistent basis, in no way would you say he's 'unproven' offensively. He was regularly the best offensive dman on the ice for both teams. And his tools going forward are obvious.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You're entitled to your opinion, but current projection isn't based upon what a player did 2 years ago. This is why scouts actually watch players and not stat count. Last year if you actually watched Romanov against his peers, on any consistent basis, in no way would you say he's 'unproven' offensively. He was regularly the best offensive dman on the ice for both teams. And his tools going forward are obvious.
I watched every WJC game, thanks for asking. It was 7 games, on the biggest prospect stage in the world, don't act like it's some secret tournament. I'm positive Ive seen more of Romanov than most did, and I'm also positive I have a better grasp of his skillset than most do, but I still cannot say if he could be a top pairing defenseman, because he hasn't proved anything OUTSIDE OF THE SEVEN GAMES HE PLAYED IN THE WJC.

Its not hard to grasp, really.

Summer is unbearable on these boards, it seems.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
I watched every WJC game, thanks for asking. It was 7 games, on the biggest prospect stage in the world, don't act like it's some secret tournament. I'm positive Ive seen more of Romanov than most did, and I'm also positive I have a better grasp of his skillset than most do, but I still cannot say if he could be a top pairing defenseman, because he hasn't proved anything OUTSIDE OF THE SEVEN GAMES HE PLAYED IN THE WJC.

Its not hard to grasp, really.

Summer is unbearable on these boards, it seems.

I’m having difficulty following your reasoning. If Brook is more proven, why did your franchise selected him lower than Romanov?
Brook’s only success is an all-star award at junior level. His play has been woefully insignificant at any level higher than CHL albeit Hlinka, U-18, WJC, AHL; unlike Romanov, he’s proven nothing. Mind you, you’re the one judging prospects on past successes.
You’re entitled to your opinion, I’m just looking for some consistency here.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I’m having difficulty following your reasoning. If Brook is more proven, why did your franchise selected him lower than Romanov?
Brook’s only success is an all-star award at junior level. His play has been woefully insignificant at any level higher than CHL albeit Hlinka, U-18, WJC, AHL; unlike Romanov, he’s proven nothing. Mind you, you’re the one judging prospects on past successes.
You’re entitled to your opinion, I’m just looking for some consistency here.

What does his draft rank one year later have to do with anything?

My opinion is that WJC doesnt mean much. Good players have had bad tourneys before and bad players have had bad tourneys. Josh Brook was used on his off-side last year and he still looked like the best Dman on the canadian squad, no matter what his stats line may suggest. Id rather see a player thrive in league play than be oppurtunistic in tournaments. Now, the actual best is that he does both.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

So true and way too common around here.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Brook didn't show that consistancy at WJC, Brook didn't show that consistency in the AHL, and he's 7 months older, than Romanov. Why do you expect any offensive consistancy from 18 yo defenseman in the KHL?

It was a stupid decision by his coach to play him on his off-side, Brook clearly didn't look the same at LD. In the AHL I'm sure he was a bit wore down at the tail end of a long season as he played 75 games before going to the AHL as last year he didn't even play 60 games due to injury. Also he did play solid but he was on the lowest scoring team in the AHL.

That said if Brook struggles in the AHL this year then there's very legit concern about him.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

Reminds me of Brook and his D+1 season two years ago. He was also statistically very, very average

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Reminds me of Brook and his D+1 season two years ago. He was also statistically very, very average

he wasn't as he had an injured wrist that he didn't trust and still put up a .71 ppg, which if he played the full season at that pace would have been 51 pts, which would have tied him for 13th in the WHL for points among defensemen and 4th for U-19 defensmen.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I remember watching a couple of MHL games from Romanov. He was the only player capable of completing a tape to tape pass. He was positionally dominant, he thought the game at a higher level than the other kids. Also didn't play a lick of PP, his usage was pretty bizarre considering he was head and shoulders above his competition, even Timmins alluded to it during his draft recap in 2018.

I don't think he will be an offensive dynamo type of D, but I wouldn't put too much stock on his production in the MHL.

Reactions: dralaf

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I watched a few of Romanov's games from the MHL last summer as all of his games were on youtube. The funny thing is I wasn't impressed with his defense but then he goes to the KHL this year and I was very impressed with how mistake free he was most of the time. In the MHL games he kept jumping into the play in the offensive zone, yet in the KHL he didn't which I'm told was because his coach didn't want him to.

It's going to be very interesting to see what kind of season he has, and if the Habs are able to get him over here next summer.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Romanov strength is clearly his skating and mobility and how he plays a physical game! Liked to join the rush sometimes.

Points and production will come and go depending on the talent around him and the opportunity he gets.

I also think Romanov and Brook would be a good pairing

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I just really want to know if he's part of the infamous Russian Romanov family. Any Russians on here know if it's a common name?

I don't know who will be better between Brook or Romanov, or Mete or Juulsen for that matter, they are all at least 5 years from their prime.

What I do know is that from what I've seen he seems our most well balanced D prospect in the present.

I think Mete and Brook can play a complementary style to Juulsen/Romanov. The only thing I'd say we are missing there is some big Weber like size.

Reactions: dralaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad