Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't think anyone accused the city of being Russian phobic just that it's quite obvious that Therrien is a bigoted POS.

As far as the discussion on upsides go. Consider the fact we are gonna run out Ben f***ing Chiarot in our top four and if Romanov and Brook are capable of developing into top four guys, that will be a huge win since we have been stuck signing garbage for too long and too much.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Romanov is a complicated player to evaluate due to typical Russian buffoonery with the way they handle some young players.

I think you have to throw stats right out of the window with him in the KHL. In my opinion he looks much better than Sergachev did against players his own age.

Sergachev was not deserving of winning OHL dman of the year which was reinforced when he didn't win it the following year. There was no way he should have beaten Dermott in 2015-16. Unfortunately the CHL has alot of meat heads who have a say in these votes and they allowed their awe of some of his exploits shape their opinion.

So far we do know that Romanov has looked better than Sergachev in international tournaments albeit small sample sizes. I guess my point is that both players have great physical tools but Romanov clearly has the superior tool box. It is just tough to put any kind of limit on Romanov's offensive upside when he is dominant against his peers but completely hidden and misused by his KHL team.

I still firmly believe that Sergachev would have been an enormous failure in Montreal because he is so dumb and would have been eaten alive by the media for his all too often mindless gaffes. No denying his skill but he is likely going to be a very polarizing player like Malakhov was.

I agree that with Romanov you have to throw the stats out the window, or at least take them with a huge grain of salt. And I didn't see Sergachev in the OHL at 17 so I can't really say, I did see him at 18 and early on I thought he was struggling and looked lazy, disinterested as he was perhaps sulking about being sent down.

That said I find some around here have been dismissing his offensive skills since the trade when he clearly has produced very well in the NHL at a young age. Sergachev at 19 had double the points that Mete has in 120 games, not fair to compare them as we all know if you flip them that stat would look different but I'd be willing to bet that while fans would be on Sergachev, he would have a good bit more then 20 career points in 120 games played. The problem of course would be his D as you would likely have to put him with Weber and shelter him as much as possible.

Romanov hopefully has anything close to Sergachev's offensive skills we are in business, as he clearly is better defensively, higher IQ, harder worker, better physical game. What Romanov can turn into is a huge wild card for the Habs future imo, as having him turn into a very solid 2nd pairing D would be great but if he can be better then that then that would be massive since it's a major hole that needs to be filled and one that's very difficult to fill

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Gonna be fun to see how he does this year. Wonder if Mb et all are still anti .......Romonov looks like a player most teams would love to have.

Man if he can show more offense I'll be through the roof happy with this kid. Still think he's gonna be a dandy. Like how he pinches from the little I've seen here and there.

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
Has to be the all time favorite confused pick for us

Went from "WHAT? WHY HIM ? SO EARLY?"
to
"God I love this kid, he's everything we need on the left side"

Rooting hard for him
Im definitely guilty of calling him too early of a pick happy to eat my crow on it though

Reactions: jaffy27

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
As already been mentioned, Romanov and CSKA Moscow kick off their 2019-20 regular season today against Avangard Omsk.

So for the first game, it will be the original Emelin vs. the upgraded version of Emelin in Romanov.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
As already been mentioned, Romanov and CSKA Moscow kick off their 2019-20 regular season today against Avangard Omsk.

So for the first game, it will be the original Emelin vs. the upgraded version of Emelin in Romanov.

Anyone know what role CSKA wille reserve for Romanov this year? Because it would suck to still see him get low ice time and no PP deployment at all this season despite being pretty damn good already.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Anyone know what role CSKA wille reserve for Romanov this year? Because it would suck to still see him get low ice time and no PP deployment at all this season despite being pretty damn good already.

Today, he was listed as 7th D. This is where he started last season before establishing himself as a regular. One reason he may be 7th D is because he played a lot of hockey between Russia and CSKA in preseason. So they may have put him there because he's been taxed lately.

I think his coach also said that this year, he is still considered a "rookie" but the expectations are higher than last year.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
In their opening game, CSKA lost 3-1 to Avangard Omsk.

Romanov was the least used defenseman with 12:32 TOI spread out over 19 shifts. 3:22 of the 12:32 was on the attack (KHL tracks TOA (Time on Attack). He had 1 SOG and 1 Hit.

Note: Scherbak played 13:24 with 1:22 TOA and had 1 Hit.

Note 2: Andrighetto had the most TOI among forwards with 18:45 TOI (2:17 TOA). He had 1 assist on the first goal and was 25% FOW.

Note 3: Emelin was the second most used player on Avangard after Cody Franson. Emelin played 22:52 (2:27 TOA) and he had 1 Block and 1 Hit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrb1p

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
In their opening game, CSKA lost 3-1 to Avangard Omsk.

Romanov was the least used defenseman with 12:32 TOI spread out over 19 shifts. 3:22 of the 12:32 was on the attack (KHL tracks TOA (Time on Attack). He had 1 SOG and 1 Hit.

Therrien probably coaching there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->