Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Looking at how great Romanov was against the best U20 in the world, winning the best defenseman award in his d+1 year only, let you think Romanov would have been a force in the CHL too, on another side, if Brook was Russian, we dont know if he would have cracked the best team in the KHL as early as Romanov did... Romanov could pretty much end up as a better all around defenseman than Brook, time will tell...
Time will tell for sure, but for now, what we know is that Brook dominated his league offensively like very little before and Romanov was asked to play safe hockey in a superior league.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Thats 14 games total in a year span, thats why I don't mind it.

Maybe that was only 14 games, but the WJC is a much higher level than the CHL, especially when the best teams of this tournament face each others and Brook was decent only, while Romanov was a force... Brook also played 7 AHL games registering only 1 point and being -2, so your conclusion that Brook is more proven is wrong, he only dominated a bunch of kids in his D+2 season, what is quite fine and I like Brook alot too, but your premise that Brook is a better prospect than Romanov because he is more proved is wrong, in fact thats possibly the opposite, while Brook spend his D+2 season dominating juniors, Ramanov was playing against men for the best KHL team in his D+1 season...

Reactions: dralaf

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
A few years ago I wouldnt have said so but now IMO its better.

No chance. The AHL lags well behind the KHL because it puts too many restrictions on itself.
The league's Veteran Rule limits the number of experienced players that can dress in a game. And even if a veteran player gets into the lineup, it's not uncommon in the slightest for a lesser player (with more potential) to be given ice time over a better player (with lesser potential).
The AHL is a professional development league that values player development over competitiveness and winning.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Thats 14 games total in a year span, thats why I don't mind it.

More like 4 months actually, not a year. A lot of players don't get even that many games to prove themselves on the NHL level. And if a player thinks, he'll get like 100 games to prove himself, because he's a top prospect, then he shouldn't play hockey...

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I am a huge fan of Josh Brook who I believe will get some NHL games this year.
The only comparison that truly can be made is that Romanov and Brook both were in the spotlight at the WJC last December and one of them was voted top D

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Yeah, of course, but it looks like you mind it, when it comes to Romanov.

This discussion is going in circles. Perhaps you need to let it go. His position isn't that hard to understand. And while you don't have to agree with it, it has some value.

Brook showed,in a lower league, a style of play that can translate to #1 defenseman. Therefore, even though there is risk that he doesn't reach that potential, he has a very high ceiling. Romanov showed a more defensive style of play which could translate into a solid defensive defenseman in the NHL. Having done it in a stronger league, it is easy to believe it can be repeated in the NHL sooner than later. However, before he shows more offense (on a more consistent basis than 7 games at WJC), Mr.B1p doesn't feel confident evaluating his potential as high as Brook.

In the end, who cares? Two fans of the same fan base have slightly different opinions on two prospects their team owns that they both like a lot. Time will tell if Romanov has a bit more offense and if Brook can translate his junior play in the NHL.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
This discussion is going in circles. Perhaps you need to let it go. His position isn't that hard to understand. And while you don't have to agree with it, it has some value.

Brook showed,in a lower league, a style of play that can translate to #1 defenseman. Therefore, even though there is risk that he doesn't reach that potential, he has a very high ceiling. Romanov showed a more defensive style of play which could translate into a solid defensive defenseman in the NHL. Having done it in a stronger league, it is easy to believe it can be repeated in the NHL sooner than later. However, before he shows more offense (on a more consistent basis than 7 games at WJC), Mr.B1p doesn't feel confident evaluating his potential as high as Brook.

In the end, who cares? Two fans of the same fan base have slightly different opinions on two prospects their team owns that they both like a lot. Time will tell if Romanov has a bit more offense and if Brook can translate his junior play in the NHL.

Time will tell if Romanov has a bit more offense and if Brook can translate his junior play in the NHL.

Exactly

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Am I the only one who sees a Torey Krug / Niklas Kronwal vibe when they look at Romanov ?
Physical in spite of size / skating agility and speed / comfidence in puck control /
I know it's wishful thinking, but I have high hopes for this kid.

dralaf

Aug 9, 2006
Victo
He's even got some Chelios in him... clearing the front of the net, knocking people off their skates left and right like little rag dolls... :)

Reactions: rickthegoon

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He's even got some Chelios in him... clearing the front of the net, knocking people off their skates left and right like little rag dolls... :)

hahaha that sequence. blocked a shot. brushed aside 6'4 200 lb Leason (or whatever he was at the time) like he was a child, then knocks over 2 others with one hit. i love that his floor is practically a faster Emelin. god if he can show some offence he'll be an absolute stud.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

this pass is showing more what i want to see from him. cross ice partial no look feed through traffic. beauty. he may have better vision than i thought. this year's gonna be too fun following prospects

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

this pass is showing more what i want to see from him. cross ice partial no look feed through traffic. beauty. he may have better vision than i thought. this year's gonna be too fun following prospects

I want him to get to North America as soon as possible, even if it's Laval. He needs to adapt to the smaller ice surface as soon as possible.

Reactions: angusyoung

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I want him to get to North America as soon as possible, even if it's Laval. He needs to adapt to the smaller ice surface as soon as possible.

He can’t until his contract expire, which is at the end of the year. It’s already widely known that he’s coming over as soon as his contract his up.

From his play, I also don’t think this guy will see any time in Laval. He’s going straight into Montreal’s top 4 in my opinion

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
He can’t until his contract expire, which is at the end of the year. It’s already widely known that he’s coming over as soon as his contract his up.

From his play, I also don’t think this guy will see any time in Laval. He’s going straight into Montreal’s top 4 in my opinion

When he comes next year, it’ll be to play with the Habs. Why’d he come to NA only to play for less money and in an inferior league? It’ll be NHL or back to KHL for Romanov.

Reactions: Gravity

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

When he comes next year, it’ll be to play with the Habs. Why’d he come to NA only to play for less money and in an inferior league? It’ll be NHL or back to KHL for Romanov.

Reports are his club in the KHL is giving him the royal treatment now, and trying everything to extend him.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Considering the lack of transfer agreement between the 2 leagues, I doubt the Habs leave that as an option. I hope Romanov plays in the AHL if he needs to, which he probably do (just like Mete should have) like Brook does.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Considering the lack of transfer agreement between the 2 leagues, I doubt the Habs leave that as an option. I hope Romanov plays in the AHL if he needs to, which he probably do (just like Mete should have) like Brook does.

What do you mean by Habs won’t have that an an option? Not sure what you’re saying.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
What do you mean by Habs won’t have that an an option? Not sure what you’re saying.
I said I doubt they leave it as an option. That they won't include it in the contract like teams do sometimes. Meaning that if Romanov runs to the KHL instead of the AHL he would be considered a defected player like Radulov was with the Preds the first time.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

That’s what I said?

Reports are his club in the KHL is giving him the royal treatment now, and trying everything to extend him.

He himself said he wants to come over as soon as possible. He even came during dev camp to hang around Montreal and practice at the Bell Complex. His head is already in Montreal.

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Romanov came to Montreal even though he couldn’t practice just to get familiarized with the coaching staff and facilities. There is no reason to worry here.

Edit: Just saw how many people responded, sorry to be redundant.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I said I doubt they leave it as an option. That they won't include it in the contract like teams do sometimes. Meaning that if Romanov runs to the KHL instead of the AHL he would be considered a defected player like Radulov was with the Preds the first time.

I’d imagine Romanov would want the same deal that KK got. If he doesn’t make the big team he’d go back home but I see what you mean by there being a lack of a transfer deal. So most likely a one way contract where even if he is sent down, he’ll still get NHL $$. I doubt he’d want a two way especially with the way he’s being cooed to stay in Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad