Prospect Info: Alexander Romanov (2018, 38th OA) - KHL, CSKA Moscow: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I just really want to know if he's part of the infamous Russian Romanov family. Any Russians on here know if it's a common name?

I don't know who will be better between Brook or Romanov, or Mete or Juulsen for that matter, they are all at least 5 years from their prime.

What I do know is that from what I've seen he seems our most well balanced D prospect in the present.

I think Mete and Brook can play a complementary style to Juulsen/Romanov. The only thing I'd say we are missing there is some big Weber like size.

Worry not, that’s where Arvid Henrikson comes in.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I personally think he is overrated here because of his WJC. Yes he can be good but I don’t see 1st pair materiel in him.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I personally think he is overrated here because of his WJC. Yes he can be good but I don’t see 1st pair materiel in him.

I think the ones who were thinking he had PK or Markov upside were overrating him (though who knows really) but an outstanding WJCS as an 18 year old and making the 2nd best league in the world as an 18 year old where by most reports he looked very solid you can't help but think kid has some very solid upside.

Sergachev apparently looked pretty bad at the WJCs as an 18 year old. Romanov won best D. WJCs aren't the be all end all but you can't just ignore them all together.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I’m having difficulty following your reasoning. If Brook is more proven, why did your franchise selected him lower than Romanov?
Brook’s only success is an all-star award at junior level. His play has been woefully insignificant at any level higher than CHL albeit Hlinka, U-18, WJC, AHL; unlike Romanov, he’s proven nothing. Mind you, you’re the one judging prospects on past successes.
You’re entitled to your opinion, I’m just looking for some consistency here.
Brooks is a better shooter passer and skater then Romanov. He has a higher ceiling.

Reactions: Goal Caufield

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think the ones who were thinking he had PK or Markov upside were overrating him (though who knows really) but an outstanding WJCS as an 18 year old and making the 2nd best league in the world as an 18 year old where by most reports he looked very solid you can't help but think kid has some very solid upside.

Sergachev apparently looked pretty bad at the WJCs as an 18 year old. Romanov won best D. WJCs aren't the be all end all but you can't just ignore them all together.

I honestly prefer Romanov over Sergachev. Sergachev has the physical tools but he is as dumb as a door nail.

If Romanov was playing in the CHL or NCAA he would be a much bigger deal around here as his stats would leave no room for doubt.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
While you guys are arguing between Brook and Romanov, I'm envisioning them as a fantastic pairing one day. Brook brings the dynamic playmaking, while Romanov brings everything else. Think they will complement each other perfectly.

Romanov Brook
Mete Juulsen

two pairs where each player complements the other.

and then there's Harris Struble, if one can play the off side.

Reactions: dralaf

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Brooks is a better shooter passer and skater then Romanov. He has a higher ceiling.

While I don’t think Brook will be an elite defenceman I think he’ll be a top 3 top 4 on the Habs. Romanov is more mysterious. If he can put it all together I see a Duncan Keith type.

Reactions: Vachon23

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I honestly prefer Romanov over Sergachev. Sergachev has the physical tools but he is as dumb as a door nail.

If Romanov was playing in the CHL or NCAA he would be a much bigger deal around here as his stats would leave no room for doubt.

I haven't tracked Sergachev's NHL progress at all. I hear mixed things. I haven't QUITE written off Drouin yet but I have a feeling we'll lose this trade. But again, I've no idea how he's doing with the Bolts.

But yeah you gotta think Romanov has the higher floor at the very least. I'd be shocked if he was anything less than a 2nd pairing guy.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
While I don’t think Brook will be an elite defenceman I think he’ll be a top 3 top 4 on the Habs. Romanov is more mysterious. If he can put it all together I see a Duncan Keith type.

I always assumed Brook would have the higher upside (if you put a gun to my head who'd be better i'd probably still say Brook) but Romanov could very well be better. I just think Brook has the better offensive tools but it'll be interesting to see if Romanov can show some growth in that department. You can make cases for either one being better. Nice to have both.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Romanov reminds me a bit of Konstantinov. Human wrecking machine. His transition game from his own end is sick. He is startinig to develop some offense but I think he will always be a little stiff there, just lacking instincts. Personally I dont see Duncan Keith and I'm okay with that. I see a guy in short supply in the NHL and a good tandem to play with a guy like Brooks.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

the problem with the wjc's is that you are talking about 5, 6 maybe 7 games and while some are against the best of the best, usually a few of those games are against very weak countries/talent pools.

Look at Puljujarvi, he killed the WJC's at 17, MVP and had more assists then everyone but his linemates had in points. Collberg was over a ppg at 17, I believe he's around top 10 all time in Sweden for points at the WJC's. So guys just get hot at the right time, some just get in a good spot in terms of linemates vs what they are facing. It shouldn't be taken as too good or too bad, just what it is a very small sample size against the top U-20 players outside of the ones that NHL teams refused to loan out.

I don't see it, if you put Romanov in the OHL at 17 I would be very surprised if he ended up OHL defensemen of the Year with 57 pts in 67 games. Sergachev may be dumb but he's got some very impressive offensive skills, now maybe he was able to get away with things in the OHL due to his impressive physical tools but I really don't think Romanov has his level of offensive skills. I don't think if you put Romanov on TB he would put up 40 pts at 19 or even 32 at 20. Granted we'll never know but that is some very solid production for a young blueliner. Of course he benefited from being on such a skilled team and I'd take Romanov over Sergachev in the defensive end by a lot.

Reactions: Eegs

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I always assumed Brook would have the higher upside (if you put a gun to my head who'd be better i'd probably still say Brook) but Romanov could very well be better. I just think Brook has the better offensive tools but it'll be interesting to see if Romanov can show some growth in that department. You can make cases for either one being better. Nice to have both.

Keep in mind Brooks plays against younger or same age players. Romanov plays against men 22-28 years old.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Romanov Brook
Mete Juulsen

two pairs where each player complements the other.

and then there's Harris Struble, if one can play the off side.
Definitely like the look of

Romanov-Brook
Mete-Juulsen

Hopefully Harris or one of those LDs we drafted this year pan out, and they could play with Fleury who I really like as a 3rd pairing type with size and power to complement our smurfs.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Romanov-Brook
Mete-Juulsen

Hopefully Harris or one of those LDs we drafted this year pan out, and they could play with Fleury who I really like as a 3rd pairing type with size and power to complement our smurfs.

Only smurfs are Mete and Harris. Have you seen Brook's summer photos? Romanov plays like a tank, and Struble's a monster.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Harris isn't big but he isn't a smurph.

I would say he is for now. Ryan Ellis is 5'10 180. Harris is 5'11 185. Even Ellis looks stockier and stronger out there. Having said that, of course Harris' physique is likely to change. But it's not guaranteed. Look at Louis Leblanc.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Romanov-Brook
Mete-Juulsen

Mete is literally the only small Dman we have. I guess Norlinder and Harris if you really, really want to stretch things out.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Only smurfs are Mete and Harris. Have you seen Brook's summer photos? Romanov plays like a tank, and Struble's a monster.
Smurfs was referring to our whole roster... our top 6 wingers in a couple of years project to be Gallagher, Domi, Caufield and Suzuki- all sub 5’10” guys.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Smurfs was referring to our whole roster... our top 6 wingers in a couple of years project to be Gallagher, Domi, Caufield and Suzuki- all sub 5’10” guys.

Yes, our future top 9 is looking like:

Domi KK Caufield
Drouin Poehling Suzuki
Tatar Danault Gallagher

The hope is if they all perform well, a small winger can be moved for either a bigger winger of for good assets, and a bigger winger obtain some other way.

We're looking big down the middle though.

Reactions: dralaf and Vachon23

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
the problem with the wjc's is that you are talking about 5, 6 maybe 7 games and while some are against the best of the best, usually a few of those games are against very weak countries/talent pools.

Look at Puljujarvi, he killed the WJC's at 17, MVP and had more assists then everyone but his linemates had in points. Collberg was over a ppg at 17, I believe he's around top 10 all time in Sweden for points at the WJC's. So guys just get hot at the right time, some just get in a good spot in terms of linemates vs what they are facing. It shouldn't be taken as too good or too bad, just what it is a very small sample size against the top U-20 players outside of the ones that NHL teams refused to loan out.

I don't see it, if you put Romanov in the OHL at 17 I would be very surprised if he ended up OHL defensemen of the Year with 57 pts in 67 games. Sergachev may be dumb but he's got some very impressive offensive skills, now maybe he was able to get away with things in the OHL due to his impressive physical tools but I really don't think Romanov has his level of offensive skills. I don't think if you put Romanov on TB he would put up 40 pts at 19 or even 32 at 20. Granted we'll never know but that is some very solid production for a young blueliner. Of course he benefited from being on such a skilled team and I'd take Romanov over Sergachev in the defensive end by a lot.

Romanov is a complicated player to evaluate due to typical Russian buffoonery with the way they handle some young players.

I think you have to throw stats right out of the window with him in the KHL. In my opinion he looks much better than Sergachev did against players his own age.

Sergachev was not deserving of winning OHL dman of the year which was reinforced when he didn't win it the following year. There was no way he should have beaten Dermott in 2015-16. Unfortunately the CHL has alot of meat heads who have a say in these votes and they allowed their awe of some of his exploits shape their opinion.

So far we do know that Romanov has looked better than Sergachev in international tournaments albeit small sample sizes. I guess my point is that both players have great physical tools but Romanov clearly has the superior tool box. It is just tough to put any kind of limit on Romanov's offensive upside when he is dominant against his peers but completely hidden and misused by his KHL team.

I still firmly believe that Sergachev would have been an enormous failure in Montreal because he is so dumb and would have been eaten alive by the media for his all too often mindless gaffes. No denying his skill but he is likely going to be a very polarizing player like Malakhov was.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I would say he is for now. Ryan Ellis is 5'10 180. Harris is 5'11 185. Even Ellis looks stockier and stronger out there. Having said that, of course Harris' physique is likely to change. But it's not guaranteed. Look at Louis Leblanc.

Smurf is about size. 5'11 is not a smurf size whatever the weight. You could call him a tree branch though. Long and thin.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Yes, our future top 9 is looking like:

Domi KK Caufield
Drouin Poehling Suzuki
Tatar Danault Gallagher

The hope is if they all perform well, a small winger can be moved for either a bigger winger of for good assets, and a bigger winger obtain some other way.

We're looking big down the middle though.
I could see us potentially keeping Domi at C and moving Poehling to the wing as he can be a power forward type with his size, speed, skill, and willingness to go to the net. Still, we are looking small up front no matter how you line them up. So having some size on the backend could help protect them a bit.

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Romanov had this to say on Montreal being anti-Russian.

“In general, there is no Russophobia, nothing of the sort. They treated me very warmly, but to the Russians as a whole. The fact that I think so is completly stupid. They recognized me on the streets, took pictures with me. There is neither racism, nor Russophobia.”

Montreal Canadiens Alexander Romanov sheds light on Russians in MTL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad