Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Fact of the mater is, I have yet to see any sport where they have era adjustment for records.
I think they keep same points system because of simplicity and to protect history of NHL. Imagine league scoring increasing to 10g/game. Im pretty sure they won't put new guys with records in front of these all time greats. Most likely they will change rules to decrease scoring, or legalize adjusted era points system.

Last edited:

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Hitting is not a Hall of Fame category. Neither is defense for a forward. In Ov's case, though, his hitting is descriptive of the freak of nature that he is. It is part of his reputation. Correct that his durability, Russian Machine Never Breaks, is also part of that whole legend. I am interested to see how 35 to 40 Ov adds to that because I am pretty sure he will.

o_O

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
So, I'm a Leafs fan first and foremost. I've liked the Caps since I was a kid because I loved goalies and Kolzig was awesome. But when Ovechkin showed up, I became an actual fan of the team. Most entertaining player I've had the pleasure of watching, and I have been fortunate enough to watch some of Ovechkin's most legendary moments live on TV. The goal against Phoenix. The goal against Montreal. The Dueling hat tricks with Crosby.

One of my great regrets was deciding not to watch the Finals a couple years ago (I was in a foul mood after the Leafs were eliminated) and my heart sank when I realised I didn't get to watch Ovechkin lift the cup live. When I watched it the next day, seeing his emotion, I'm not ashamed to admit my eyes got a little watery.

The man is a legend. Seeing the silver in his hair made me realise he's not going to be in the league forever, so I'm going to make every effort to watch the Caps whenever possible to avoid missing more great moments. My hope is that he will sign a new long term deal with Washington to finish out his career where he belongs, though I wouldn't complain if he became a Leaf haha

There wasn't much of a point to this post, guess I just felt like expressing my appreciation of one of the all time greats.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
Caps' Ovechkin leaner if not lighter going into 14th season
Alex Ovechkin doesn’t think he’s any lighter going into his 14th NHL training camp.
“The same 260,” he said.
That might be a slight exaggeration for a player listed at 235 pounds, though the Washington Capitals captain worked to be leaner and quicker. When the season starts, he’ll be 34.

“The game is getting faster, so you have to get ready for more speed in the game and don’t try to lift too much weight and just be quicker,” Ovechkin said.

On whether or not he'll continue playing after his contract is up:
“After two years, let’s talk,” Ovechkin said Friday at the annual NHL/NHLPA preseason player media tour. “We’ll see what’s gonna happen in two years. Of course, I want to play till I can’t play.”

“I don’t want to be the guy who go out there and just like play (like) a joke,” Ovechkin said. “If I’m gonna be in the same level, yeah.”

If Ovechkin maintains this level, 894 isn’t out of the question. If he keeps up his trademark durability, he’ll surpass 700 goals this season and isn’t ruling out taking a shot at Gretzky.
“It’s always a chance,” he said. “I have to play the same way, I have to do the same thing, I have to use my chances and we will see.”

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
So, I'm a Leafs fan first and foremost. I've liked the Caps since I was a kid because I loved goalies and Kolzig was awesome. But when Ovechkin showed up, I became an actual fan of the team. Most entertaining player I've had the pleasure of watching, and I have been fortunate enough to watch some of Ovechkin's most legendary moments live on TV. The goal against Phoenix. The goal against Montreal. The Dueling hat tricks with Crosby.

One of my great regrets was deciding not to watch the Finals a couple years ago (I was in a foul mood after the Leafs were eliminated) and my heart sank when I realised I didn't get to watch Ovechkin lift the cup live. When I watched it the next day, seeing his emotion, I'm not ashamed to admit my eyes got a little watery.

The man is a legend. Seeing the silver in his hair made me realise he's not going to be in the league forever, so I'm going to make every effort to watch the Caps whenever possible to avoid missing more great moments. My hope is that he will sign a new long term deal with Washington to finish out his career where he belongs, though I wouldn't complain if he became a Leaf haha

There wasn't much of a point to this post, guess I just felt like expressing my appreciation of one of the all time greats.

Thanks. Hopefully the Leafs get there someday.

Glad you are an Ovie. Us Caps fans have been incredibly blessed over the years to have watched him play. Definitely an all time great and arguably the best winger of all time by the time he retires. :)

Reactions: Calicaps

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
NHL.com barely rates Ov in the top 20. Lets be honest. Goals get no respect. Last season 2 players had 50 goals. 29 players had 50 assists or something like that.

In the last ten seasons score is Ovie six, rest of the entire NHL five. ;)

For reference, and because I was bored, there have been 146 players in the last ten seasons with at least 50 assists.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad