Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
I have a feeling I'll be using this one numerous times.

200.gif

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
6th player in NHL history to score 800 goals (regular season + playoffs)

1. Gretzky 1016
2. Howe 869
T-3. Brett Hull 844
T-3. Jagr 844
5. Messier 803
6. Ovechkin 800
It is pretty ridiculous that some people insist on acting as though the position of “best goal scorer of all time” is not clear-cut by now. Ovi will indubitably finish second on that list, and comparing goaltenders today to what was faced by other names on that list is just night and day.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
How’re you so sure about this? Not trying to make this a doom and gloom post but with another playoff exit it could put some doubt in his mind even if he’s stated he wants to finish in Washington. His family might want to move to sunny FL or CA for all we know, I obviously want him to stay but don’t see why it’s out of context to think it’s a possibility of him going elsewhere. No one thought Brady would leave, until he did

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
How’re you so sure about this? Not trying to make this a doom and gloom post but with another playoff exit it could put some doubt in his mind even if he’s stated he wants to finish in Washington. His family might want to move to sunny FL or CA for all we know, I obviously want him to stay but don’t see why it’s out of context to think it’s a possibility of him going elsewhere. No one thought Brady would leave, until he did
Brady left when the Patriots made it clear they wanted to move on from him.

That's not happening in DC.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Brady left when the Patriots made it clear they wanted to move on from him.

That's not happening in DC.
Fair, all I’m saying is it takes just one bad meeting where Ovi says f*** this I’m out. I obviously want him to stay, I’d rather the caps suck than see him in another jersey. I just think it’s possibly

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
Fair, all I’m saying is it takes just one bad meeting where Ovi says f*** this I’m out. I obviously want him to stay, I’d rather the caps suck than see him in another jersey. I just think it’s possibly
There's always a possibility Ovi could bail and go to another NHL team, since he's a free agent. Not like they can franchise tag him like in football. Seems unlikely to me but how knows. The team most certainly will want to keep him in a Capitals uniform until he retires, hopefully with the goal scoring record. I'm fine with that, even if it delays the inevitable rebuild. Ovi is one of the best ever and will be the greatest Capital ever so I'm happy with putting off rebuilding to watch him finish his career here.

Reactions: max21

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
If Ovi decides to leave the Caps, it will be to go back to Russia, I'm 95% sure of that. I'm also 95% sure that he's staying. That puts the probability of him wearing another NHL jersey next season down to 0.25%.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I think the team has to be semi-worried about delaying signing him to the point where other teams could contact him. Sure, Ovi is the Caps and he could have no inkling to want to move on but what if some other teams come in and blow him away with offers? If a good young team comes in and tells him "Will give you 12 million for 3 years, go win a cup with us." do you think he'd not at least think about it?

A small part of me wonders if that'd be better for us. I love Ovi, and I love what he's done for this team and this city with putting hockey on the map, but I'm much more worried about an Ovi contract a few years down the line than I am say an Oshie one. 5 years at 10 million-plus is gonna look real bad, and I thought the indicators were that 10 million was a low floor on a potential deal.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Whats the market rate for 0,5gpg player nowadays? I mean, he managed to score 2 goals this playoffs while playing injured on a team full of dead bodies. 10 mil for Ovechkin isnt looking wrong at all.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Whats the market rate for 0,5gpg player nowadays? I mean, he managed to score 2 goals this playoffs while playing injured on a team full of dead bodies. 10 mil for Ovechkin isnt looking wrong at all.

I'm hoping you're being sarcastic. He scored a PP goal in game 3 on a pass from Mantha, and the 2nd goal was a deflection off a Boston player on a shot that broke his stick and was missing the net by 6 feet.

Anyway he isn't going to be paid based on his production compared to other players around the league. At this point in his career he's being paid because he is a "brand" and his ability to sell tickets and merchandise.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I'm hoping you're being sarcastic. He scored a PP goal in game 3 on a pass from Mantha, and the 2nd goal was a deflection off a Boston player on a shot that broke his stick and was missing the net by 6 feet.

Anyway he isn't going to be paid based on his production compared to other players around the league. At this point in his career he's being paid because he is a "brand" and his ability to sell tickets and merchandise.
Ive asked whats the market rate in your opinion?
I thought only Matthews had better gpg this season even if in Canadian division.

Jun 15, 2007
I thought only Matthews had better gpg this season even if in Canadian division.

Not even close. Ovechkins goals/game at 0.54 puts him at 34th .

You might be thinking of Daniel Sprong, who had the 2nd most ES goals/60 after Matthews.

Jun 15, 2007
Btw if you assume Ovechkin does everything else at about the same capacity as those 33 other players and therefore think he should the 34th highest paid forward in the league...

That gives him market rate of 7.5m. That's assuming he doesn't decline at all over those 5 years which obviously isn't a safe assumption at all.

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
If Ovi decides to leave the Caps, it will be to go back to Russia, I'm 95% sure of that. I'm also 95% sure that he's staying. That puts the probability of him wearing another NHL jersey next season down to 0.25%.
In terms of next season, I would say it's far more likely he'd pick another NHL team over Russia. I know the Russians often go back to the KHL to play out their last few years but he wants to keep chasing the all-time goals record. Re-signing w/ the Caps still seems like by far the likeliest outcome though.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast

I have no idea what the market rate is, but I think there are teams who wouldn't be interested in signing him, and there are teams who would overpay to sign him (because he would sell tickets and jerseys).

He isn't really the kind of player you can treat as 1:1 on a pay scale. I don't think you look at the table above and say "well he's 8th in GPG so we pay him more than 9 and less than 7".

I also think the entire conversation about market rate is a waste of time because he simply is NOT going to another team. So he gets paid what he asks for. If he truly wants to win another Cup then he will need to accept a deal that allows the team to remain competitive.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I think the team has to be semi-worried about delaying signing him to the point where other teams could contact him. Sure, Ovi is the Caps and he could have no inkling to want to move on but what if some other teams come in and blow him away with offers? If a good young team comes in and tells him "Will give you 12 million for 3 years, go win a cup with us." do you think he'd not at least think about it?

A small part of me wonders if that'd be better for us. I love Ovi, and I love what he's done for this team and this city with putting hockey on the map, but I'm much more worried about an Ovi contract a few years down the line than I am say an Oshie one. 5 years at 10 million-plus is gonna look real bad, and I thought the indicators were that 10 million was a low floor on a potential deal.

He can always decline and tell them I want to be a Cap forever or retire.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I have no idea what the market rate is, but I think there are teams who wouldn't be interested in signing him, and there are teams who would overpay to sign him (because he would sell tickets and jerseys).

He isn't really the kind of player you can treat as 1:1 on a pay scale. I don't think you look at the table above and say "well he's 8th in GPG so we pay him more than 9 and less than 7".

I also think the entire conversation about market rate is a waste of time because he simply is NOT going to another team. So he gets paid what he asks for. If he truly wants to win another Cup then he will need to accept a deal that allows the team to remain competitive.

Every team in the NHL would try to sign him. He's instant ticket sales and still on the path to breaking more records. Those HF posters who say otherwise on the mains are lying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad