Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I have no idea what the market rate is, but I think there are teams who wouldn't be interested in signing him, and there are teams who would overpay to sign him (because he would sell tickets and jerseys).

He isn't really the kind of player you can treat as 1:1 on a pay scale. I don't think you look at the table above and say "well he's 8th in GPG so we pay him more than 9 and less than 7".

I also think the entire conversation about market rate is a waste of time because he simply is NOT going to another team. So he gets paid what he asks for. If he truly wants to win another Cup then he will need to accept a deal that allows the team to remain competitive.

I forgot to say it, but he may take a pay cut to help the salary cap issues if he really values another Caps again over money. He just seems like the player to do it, imho.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
With a player of Ovechkin's stature in his sport, endorsement deals dwarfs a player contract in a league where there is a hard salary cap in place. At that point, the player contract is mostly about pride really.

But I guess that's true with most people that's beyond wealthy. After a certain point of wealth, far more than what you and your family require, it's always about pride more so than anything else.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
He may have more than he or his family requires but Ovie does give a lot of money to various charitable organizations quietly. I've heard about him kitting out orphanages with sports equipment, for example.

The more money you have, the bigger difference you can make in people's lives. I think Ovie's parents came from humble origins and have their heads screwed on right. I also believe they instilled that in Ovie. I don't see him living an especially extravagant lifestyle other than his flashy cars, perhaps.

So, I don't think Ovie is all about the money. I think he will take a reasonable deal in his next contract to help the team out. He'll make that money back and more, down the road from Ted, IMHO.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
He may have more than he or his family requires but Ovie does give a lot of money to various charitable organizations quietly. I've heard about him kitting out orphanages with sports equipment, for example.

The more money you have, the bigger difference you can make in people's lives. I think Ovie's parents came from humble origins and have their heads screwed on right. I also believe they instilled that in Ovie. I don't see him living an especially extravagant lifestyle other than his flashy cars, perhaps.

So, I don't think Ovie is all about the money. I think he will take a reasonable deal in his next contract to help the team out. He'll make that money back and more, down the road from Ted, IMHO.

His wife is also very rich, her mom was a movie director in Russia and her dad is a Russian oligarch. Money is not a problem whatsoever, the two combined likely have a fortune into the 8 figures.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
I forgot to say it, but he may take a pay cut to help the salary cap issues if he really values another Caps again over money. He just seems like the player to do it, imho.

The Capitals are on the verge of losing a third straight 1st round series with him making $9.5 million. Him making a few million more or less won't be the difference between this organization making another deep run or not unfortunately. The team as currently constructed is the oldest in the league. If he really does want to win another cup to the point that he is willing to take a pay cut then I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to go elsewhere.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
The Capitals are on the verge of losing a third straight 1st round series with him making $9.5 million. Him making a few million more or less won't be the difference between this organization making another deep run or not unfortunately. The team as currently constructed is the oldest in the league. If he really does want to win another cup to the point that he is willing to take a pay cut then I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to go elsewhere.

Yeah, there is fat on the roster.

Funny, we (at least myself) thought Hagelin is an overpaid player you can trim in required... Turned out overpaid 4th line is the one really working for Caps.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
His wife is also very rich, her mom was a movie director in Russia and her dad is a Russian oligarch. Money is not a problem whatsoever, the two combined likely have a fortune into the 8 figures.
He isnt oligarch, just some business man.

Also, Ovechkin current contract alone is 9 figures :D

They arent in danger of being hungry any time soon.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If he’s healthy, seems like a no brainer to play there to end it all. I hope it happens.

On the other hand, I’d be surprised if he gives up any NHL service for it if 99 is within reach around age 40.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calicaps

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If he’s healthy, seems like a no brainer to play there to end it all. I hope it happens.

On the other hand, I’d be surprised if he gives up any NHL service for it if 99 is within reach around age 40.

I think if he passed 99 and the team sucks, he retires. I think if he passed 99 and the team is good with a chance to win, Ov is staying and playing.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Not even close. Ovechkins goals/game at 0.54 puts him at 34th .

You might be thinking of Daniel Sprong, who had the 2nd most ES goals/60 after Matthews.

No it puts him at 13. In that group 5 players played less than 9 games so he was actually the 8th best goalscorer. You are talking about points per game. Ovi doesn´t do points. Only goals.

NHL Stats

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
With a player of Ovechkin's stature in his sport, endorsement deals dwarfs a player contract in a league where there is a hard salary cap in place. At that point, the player contract is mostly about pride really.

But I guess that's true with most people that's beyond wealthy. After a certain point of wealth, far more than what you and your family require, it's always about pride more so than anything else.
I don’t think this applies in hockey.

I thought even the biggest endorsement deals just netted a couple of million for a few players.

I really don’t know for sure, I could be wrong.

Reactions: tenken00

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Most goals in age 36 season:

1. Selanne - 48 (2006-07)
2. Esposito - 42 (1978-79)
3. Shanahan - 40 (2005-06)

Hopefully Ovie plays the majority of this season and we see where he ends up.

Reactions: User9992
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->