Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I think 13 years later that Alex has learned enough to call his own shots with his mom's approval.

I wouldn't be surprised if his mom still has final say :laugh:

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
$12 million is 15% of the salary cap. If it doesn’t make your butthole pucker to put 15% of your cap on what will be a 36 year old, well, you’re just not paying attention.

Am I in the camp of keep Ovi forever? Yes. Does that mean I’m going to smile as we just open up the check book? No.

I stand by the woof

Good thing you don’t have to stroke the check.

Hard pass for me on the complaining about a future Ovy deal. Backstrom’s is likely to look much worse IMO if anyone wants to fret.

I hope Ovy sees the big picture, but there’s now a recent history of Ted paying up to market (Kuzy, Backy, Carlson). If Ovy wants it, going to be hard to say no.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
At the end of the day your choices are sign him or let him walk. Who here chooses let him walk? While there is a salary cap for players there is not earnings cap for Ted. Alex Ovechkin is among the few players that even if paying him the max, he makes more money for you than he costs. Ted takes sign him.

that’s not the point. Does he want a good team around him or not? 2m a year may “seem” inconsequential, but that’s Kemp’s at 2.5m or a better D man at 4.5m.

That’s the issue.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
that’s not the point. Does he want a good team around him or not? 2m a year may “seem” inconsequential, but that’s Kemp’s at 2.5m or a better D man at 4.5m.

That’s the issue.

Rids, I know what the point is. Every penny he gives back goes to better teammates. I get that. I am asking if your attitude is that he wont sign for less than too much, what is your solution? You cant demand that he play for less until you buy into letting him walk. Thats all I am saying

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
I guess I was in the minority that figured Ovi would sign for a cheaper deal after his initial contract had expired. He's just always seemed like the type of guy that would be willing to put the team first in that kind of situation. We should definitely pay him whatever he's asking, but Ovi taking a reduced salary would greatly help the team through their transitional period. 8 million a season for #8 has a good ring to it.

Reactions: searle

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
I hope Ovi takes less but him taking less won’t get guarantee the team necessarily getting better.

BMac might just sign more 4th liners.

Reactions: um

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Ok let me ask you this then, what other jersey are you ok with Ovi wearing? Someone will pay him what he wants.
Did I say we let him walk? I literally even wrote that I want to keep him forever.

You can realize and admit you're getting worked over on a contract while still taking it.

Is this Ovechkin contract going to be bad? Yup.

Does he deserve it? Every penny of it.

Is it going to be bad for this team? Ohhhhhh god yes.

Would I be livid if we let him walk? You betcha.

It's lose-lose after a win-win. Ovechkin out played his last contract and gave us a Cup, it's impossible he outplays his next one, and it's even less likely as that goes on that the team will be competitive. It is what it is.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Good thing you don’t have to stroke the check.

Hard pass for me on the complaining about a future Ovy deal. Backstrom’s is likely to look much worse IMO if anyone wants to fret.

I hope Ovy sees the big picture, but there’s now a recent history of Ted paying up to market (Kuzy, Backy, Carlson). If Ovy wants it, going to be hard to say no.
I don't understand why some of you guys can't admit/acknowledge it'll be a bad deal, you can do that and still be very okay with them signing it.

We're going to be hot trash in a few seasons, only makes sense after being the most dominant team of the decade, this contract will probably contribute to that dumpster fire, I'm okay with that though, but I'm not going to say it's not going to be a bad deal.

Reactions: McVechkin

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Did I say we let him walk? I literally even wrote that I want to keep him forever.

You can realize and admit you're getting worked over on a contract while still taking it.

Is this Ovechkin contract going to be bad? Yup.

Does he deserve it? Every penny of it.

Is it going to be bad for this team? Ohhhhhh god yes.

Would I be livid if we let him walk? You betcha.

It's lose-lose after a win-win. Ovechkin out played his last contract and gave us a Cup, it's impossible he outplays his next one, and it's even less likely as that goes on that the team will be competitive. It is what it is.

I am going to hold off on the doom dinner til i see a contract. Last time he was going to the Rangers

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don't understand why some of you guys can't admit/acknowledge it'll be a bad deal, you can do that and still be very okay with them signing it.

We're going to be hot trash in a few seasons, only makes sense after being the most dominant team of the decade, this contract will probably contribute to that dumpster fire, I'm okay with that though, but I'm not going to say it's not going to be a bad deal.

what reality are you in where I typed “It won’t be a bad deal”?

the rebuild after Ovy is going to be horrific. I accepted that long ago when I accepted Kuzy wouldn’t be a franchise cornerstone to carry us through post-Ovy.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Hot trash. Sounds bad.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
No way he makes less than 19.

10M would be big discount.

If his big salary forces GMBM to be more creative and find weak links to trade to accommodate Ovi - that's even better.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

I honestly don't think this is written in stone but I think Kuznetsov is the big deciding factor. If he's a legit 1C then it helps tremendously. If he's not and they lean too heavily on Backstrom the team is in trouble. McMichael will probably initially slot in as 3LW before taking over for Eller and I think Kuznetsov, Backstrom, and McMichael is a really attractive 1-2-3C lineup, assuming McMichael continues on his current trajectory. Perhaps McMichael can bump Backstrom down to 3C and Backstrom can be more of the shutdown, matchup center instead of being relied on to provide a ton of offense.

Oshie will be gone after this season which opens up more cap space to find a younger and faster RW. Vrana and Wilson are still improving and are very good wingers that can skate and score and should be mainstays in the top six for a long time. McMichael looks like he's going to be the young injection of speed and offensive talent they really need in the middle six. Carlson, Orlov, Fehervary, and Alexeyev are a nice foundation for the defense (I see Alexeyev as an elite 3LD or a serviceable but not as good Orlov replacement) and Samsonov looks like the answer in net for the next decade (hopefully). Hopefully Protas and Leason are NHL guys too because they're both big and can score.

Certainly things have to go right in terms of player development and their big three of Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Carlson can't fall off a cliff but I don't think it's a guarantee that they're going to suck in a few years.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I honestly don't think this is written in stone but I think Kuznetsov is the big deciding factor. If he's a legit 1C then it helps tremendously. If he's not and they lean too heavily on Backstrom the team is in trouble. McMichael will probably initially slot in as 3LW before taking over for Eller and I think Kuznetsov, Backstrom, and McMichael is a really attractive 1-2-3C lineup, assuming McMichael continues on his current trajectory. Perhaps McMichael can bump Backstrom down to 3C and Backstrom can be more of the shutdown, matchup center instead of being relied on to provide a ton of offense.

Oshie will be gone after this season which opens up more cap space to find a younger and faster RW. Vrana and Wilson are still improving and are very good wingers that can skate and score and should be mainstays in the top six for a long time. McMichael looks like he's going to be the young injection of speed and offensive talent they really need in the middle six. Carlson, Orlov, Fehervary, and Alexeyev are a nice foundation for the defense (I see Alexeyev as an elite 3LD or a serviceable but not as good Orlov replacement) and Samsonov looks like the answer in net for the next decade (hopefully). Hopefully Protas and Leason are NHL guys too because they're both big and can score.

Certainly things have to go right in terms of player development and their big three of Ovechkin, Backstrom, and Carlson can't fall off a cliff but I don't think it's a guarantee that they're going to suck in a few years.

Oh will he now?

“Elite’ 3LD but not as good as Orlov? Never heard of an elite 3D. ;)

Seems pretty closed to guaranteed we’re going to suck bad after Ovy, but let’s see if Kuzy cares with Lavi first.

Reactions: Calicaps

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Not to derail the thread but I actually agree that Oshie probably is a goner one way or another. If Seattle doesn’t select him in the expansion draft, I could see a trade worked out afterwards to send Oshie there. He has been a lot better than people thought after he signed the long term deal, but with all the miles and all the injuries you always have to wonder how much longer he keeps up his level of play

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Not to derail the thread but I actually agree that Oshie probably is a goner one way or another. If Seattle doesn’t select him in the expansion draft, I could see a trade worked out afterwards to send Oshie there. He has been a lot better than people thought after he signed the long term deal, but with all the miles and all the injuries you always have to wonder how much longer he keeps up his level of play
The Vrana Sammy and Ovie raises will make it hard to keep the band together

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
Oshies contract isn't an immediate problem, but it absolutely will be when his cap hit is 5.75M at 35+ years old. Would prefer to see him moved while he still has some value and not as a cap dump.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’d prefer to continue to surround Ovy with guys who produce and give a damn.

Until Oshie drops off badly, he’s a Cap IMO.

if there’s a smart hockey trade to be made that includes Oshie, so be it. There’s only one untouchable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aliceanna and txpd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’d prefer to continue to surround Ovy with guys who produce and give a damn.

Until Oshie drops off badly, he’s a Cap IMO.

if there’s a smart hockey trade to be made that includes Oshie, so be it. There’s only one untouchable.

I would say that knowing Oshie's background and his style of play and personality, its possible to likely that his career is ended with an injury. The next concussion with that guy could be the end. Right now with as big as his contribution is to the team, I worry more about him being taken out at a critical time than his contract being an issue. I am pretty convinced that he isnt going to just gradually wind down with age. He is going to hit a wall of some kind

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’m not convinced Oshie doesn’t play out his entire deal. I’m not betting on a career ending injury myself.

Some of you sure love to predict the brutal end though....sad.

anyway, back to Ovy gutting the roster with his next deal. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad