Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
So teams learned how to defend him and then he altered his style? Man, the guy just keeps scoring. I was just looking and found it odd that he had a downturn only to then ramp it up again. Think how many goals he would have if he didn't have to deal with shortened and lost seasons.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
So teams learned how to defend him and then he altered his style? Man, the guy just keeps scoring. I was just looking and found it odd that he had a downturn only to then ramp it up again. Think how many goals he would have if he didn't have to deal with shortened and lost seasons.
The lockouts and COVID are likely going to be what cost him Gretzky's record :(

marcel snapshot

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Loved his screen on Oshie's 2nd goal, and then again positioning himself down low in front of the net (rather than sitting in his office) for his goal yesterday. Teams are so geared to defend Ovie based on what they expect him to do, so there's a lot of potential mileage to be gained from any departures from those expectations.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Loved his screen on Oshie's 2nd goal, and then again positioning himself down low in front of the net (rather than sitting in his office) for his goal yesterday. Teams are so geared to defend Ovie based on what they expect him to do, so there's a lot of potential mileage to be gained from any departures from those expectations.

we’ve seen this cycle in his game before when he’s struggled to score in other years. I think he’s pretty ineffective (by Ovechkin standards) in close (scoring goals) but he can certainly make an impact with his physicality in front of the goalie.

as someone else said, I also would like to see more foot movement to get himself into better position to shoot and receive passes. Goal turret needs to unroot himself...

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Catching up on this thread reading about Ovie 2010 season. Just remember all the trade him threads on this board remind me of what Kuzy has going on right now. A lot of stupid goes on here when the players in a slump

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
there were some folks who said he didn't have the will to win, but mostly nationalist Canadian types (Cherry, etc.) early on. never here that I recall.

I didn’t think he would get it done as a Captain, at one low point, but they reinforced his leadership very well with guys like Oshie and Orpik and he also found another level.

Reactions: Calicaps

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
there were some folks who said he didn't have the will to win, but mostly nationalist Canadian types (Cherry, etc.) early on. never here that I recall.

It's denial and jealousy that fueled their criticism of Ovechkin. Amazingly, Ovy is a prototypical Cherry type. His hitting, scoring, and passion for the game fits Cherry's mold. Cherry just won't admit it because he has notoriously hated Euro and Russian players. With exception to fighting, Ovechkin is like a superman version of Wendel Clark on steroids who Cherry coveted.

Reactions: Roshi and Calicaps

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
It's denial and jealousy that fueled their criticism of Ovechkin. Amazingly, Ovy is a prototypical Cherry type. His hitting, scoring, and passion for the game fits Cherry's mold. Cherry just won't admit it because he has notoriously hated Euro and Russian players. With exception to fighting, Ovechkin is like a superman version of Wendel Clark on steroids who Cherry coveted.
yup. xenophobia kept Cherry from enjoying/appreciating Ovie. his loss.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Ovi should have PP goals record. That's the most obvious one. Still has OT goals record.

If you look at it: Active NHL Players - Overtime Goals Leaders

There is no guarantee someone will catch him.

Ovi has 24.

Young guys behind him:

30 years old Tavares with 15
26 years old Monahan - 11 goals
25 years old Draisaitl - 9 goals
23 years old CMD - 8 goals

But that was not long ago when young Gaudreau was killing it in overtimes... still has 8 (at 27/28 years).

Guys from Edmonton are a threat, Ovi needs to yield 2-3 more. Anyhow.

PS: One day new Ovechkin level sniper will come and beat that record maybe, but he needs to come to the right team first.

PPS: Crosby with 18 is the closest one actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->