Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Wings fan sharing. Ovi @16 turns pro.

upload_2020-11-14_18-24-6.png

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
would love to see Ovi mentor The next russian great Michkov in a couple years before he goes

That would mean the Caps having to fall dramatically in the season standings to get a chance of drafting him. On current projection he will be a top five pick and probably higher than three.

Reactions: Calicaps

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
Rangers fan here...

Was looking through the most recent game thread (originally to see your collective reaction to the Kakko embellishment call -- good on ya for recognizing BS when you see it) and was shocked to see some Caps fans shitting on Ovi for slowing down. It made me wonder if there was actually some dropoff that I hadn't been aware of. Then I checked his H-R page and realized that he's been even better than I thought in recent years. 7 of the last 8 Richards? Dude is still an absolute freak. I would have Ovi pajamas if I was a Caps fan.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Rangers fan here...

Was looking through the most recent game thread (originally to see your collective reaction to the Kakko embellishment call -- good on ya for recognizing BS when you see it) and was shocked to see some Caps fans shitting on Ovi for slowing down. It made me wonder if there was actually some dropoff that I hadn't been aware of. Then I checked his H-R page and realized that he's been even better than I thought in recent years. 7 of the last 8 Richards? Dude is still an absolute freak. I would have Ovi pajamas if I was a Caps fan.
Caps fans are spoiled (and sometimes insane)

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
I thought Ovi was fat, unmotivated and needed to be moved down the lineup. Who would have known that the greatest goalscorer of all time would once again be on pace for 50 goals in a season. SO WEIRD!!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I thought Ovi was fat, unmotivated and needed to be moved down the lineup. Who would have known that the greatest goalscorer of all time would once again be on pace for 50 goals in a season. SO WEIRD!!

Ov has never to my knowledge had ripped abs. People see bare torso pics of him and think he is fat. Moved down the lineup? 12 pts in 8 games. More assists than goals.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Ov has never to my knowledge had ripped abs. People see bare torso pics of him and think he is fat. Moved down the lineup? 12 pts in 8 games. More assists than goals.

Yeah i was referring to what some posters wrote in the Bruins gameday thread. Personally im convinced he´s the Messiah who got tired of salvation and focused on hockey instead. Absolute machine.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I was looking at Ovie's career stats and noticed that back around 2011 or so he had two full seasons where he only had 30 something goals per season before ramping it back up to his typical 50 per year pace. Does anyone remember why his goal totals were down those years?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I was looking at Ovie's career stats and noticed that back around 2011 or so he had two full seasons where he only had 30 something goals per season before ramping it back up to his typical 50 per year pace. Does anyone remember why his goal totals were down those years?
Combination of things but mainly he got bigger and lost some of his speed so teams were more effective at defending him. Everyone knew he was going to barrel down the left side and cut towards the center and without some of his speed he just wasn't as dominant. He was never a guy that could keep the puck on a string when he was stickhandling so he struggled when he lost the ability to blow by everyone. The teams he was on were also worse. And the Olympics broke him for a little while.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Combination of things but mainly he got bigger and lost some of his speed so teams were more effective at defending him. Everyone knew he was going to barrel down the left side and cut towards the center and without some of his speed he just wasn't as dominant. He was never a guy that could keep the puck on a string when he was stickhandling so he struggled when he lost the ability to blow by everyone. The teams he was on were also worse. And the Olympics broke him for a little while.

And the suspensions. And Hunter Hockey. And Oates. And possibly a lingering injury or two. IIRC.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Many reasons, but the one I most like to point out is that teams started stopping his old signature goal. Well before the left circle became "his office," Ovie's signature goal was rushing down the wing, aligning the D to screen the goalie, and shooting between the D's legs. Team Canada 2010 laid out a blueprint of how to stop that, and the NHL followed their example. Combined with just his general aging, he had to reinvent his game to be more dependent on linemates carrying the puck and getting open without the puck. It took time to do.

Also keep in mind one of those 30G seasons was a shortened year due to the lockout.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
2010/2011 he had a 8.7% shooting%. If he shot at his normal 12% or something, he would have had 44 that year.

Someone else can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe he also played through a wrist injury that year, which would make sense as a reason for a unusual drop in s%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->