Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Backstrom would have to go in to hiding. All he would hear during the playoffs is contract crap.

if he makes it crystal clear he’s not going anywhere, it’s a non-issue. He pretty much has already.

Anyway was more a symbolic gesture. I’m sure they’ll sign him at the most appropriate time.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Dunno, if Ovie finishes with a Cup and no Olympic Gold Medal I see him becoming (even more) obsessed with his country and the Olympics, and doing whatever's necessary to make the medal happen for Russia. That could mean working with/for their Olympic program full time.

I doubt he shifts to the KHL in anything more than a symbolic role.

My view is that Ovechkin would have access to more resources and personel to best run the Russian O team from the NHL. He is near all of the best Russian players as they are in the NHL and not the KHL. All the draft age players are being scouted by Mahoney's troops. David Poile ran an outstanding Team USA from his office with the Preds.

His family is completely sports oriented. He is the most famous athlete in Russian not from his exploits in Russian. After his playing days he can have a greater impact on his sport in the NHL. His parents like winters in the US for obvious reasons. Its just a read. Just my opinion

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Caps asst GM vs say KHL's President.

DC is boring vs Moscow.

I dont think txpd knows enough on this matter. No knock on him obviously.

Tex, man, if you ever get tickets to Msk, tell me, I will fly in to have some beers with you.

PS: you can still own a share of Caps and work in Russia

I really dont know anything on this subject. Except that Ive seen Ovechkin as a player and a man for a long time now. My feeling in this situation is based in the same argument Ive had that he wouldnt retire early and return to the KHL. A lot of people thought he would do that. As recently as training camp people were speculating that he would retire soon. Ive said consistantly that i thought he would play to 40 health permitting. I thought if that were true that he would have a shot at the record.

I have also seen the change in the man since they won the cup. He partied to make young Ov proud but his dedication to excellence and winning since then has impressed me. I dont think he is going to want to stop his pursuit of cups when he doesnt play anymore.

I also think that his relationship with Leonsis and MacLellan is allowing him to learn more about the inside of running a team that the typical player would have access to. So, I think he is learning the job already. But thats just my opinion or analysis. i am speculating a lot.

Edit: Msk? What is that?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
My view is that Ovechkin would have access to more resources and personel to best run the Russian O team from the NHL. He is near all of the best Russian players as they are in the NHL and not the KHL. All the draft age players are being scouted by Mahoney's troops. David Poile ran an outstanding Team USA from his office with the Preds.

His family is completely sports oriented. He is the most famous athlete in Russian not from his exploits in Russian. After his playing days he can have a greater impact on his sport in the NHL. His parents like winters in the US for obvious reasons. Its just a read. Just my opinion

I get it, and it could happen, but I think there's a fire there beneath the surface that may not be 100% rational after his NHL playing career is over, at least not in the terms as you lay them out. No team is going to want to pay him to just fly around and schmooze other Russians, whereas the Russian Olympic team will do just that. Wherever he lives.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
if he makes it crystal clear he’s not going anywhere, it’s a non-issue. He pretty much has already.

Anyway was more a symbolic gesture. I’m sure they’ll sign him at the most appropriate time.

Oh I expect there will be a group presser and a celly and a party with both of them when they announce Ov's new deal. I guess Larry Brooks wont be writing that Ov is going to sign with the Rangers this time around.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I get it, and it could happen, but I think there's a fire there beneath the surface that may not be 100% rational after his NHL playing career is over, at least not in the terms as you lay them out. No team is going to want to pay him to just fly around and schmooze other Russians, whereas the Russian Olympic team will do just that. Wherever he lives.

Could be. I don't know. I do know that Poile ran his NHL team and his national team at the same time. I know that Peter Bondra ran his national team while living in Annapolis. It could be that both things are true. That he is a Caps asst GM and Team Russia GM and Leonsis gives him a certain number of years to do that from Russia. MacLellan isn't going anywhere. There's no rush

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
They did not have their son in the U.S. casually. Their child is an American citizen by design. Ovie will always have his connections in Russia but they clearly plan to spend a lot of their time in this country long term.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
What if their son wasnt US citizen? Nothing changes I guess. Shouldn't be a factor.

Caps asst GM. Why do you think it would be interesting to him? After chasing Gretzky... He should be spending his days estimating next Malenstyn's cap hit?

Jun 15, 2007
What if their son wasnt US citizen? Nothing changes I guess. Shouldn't be a factor.

Caps asst GM. Why do you think it would be interesting to him? After chasing Gretzky... He should be spending his days estimating next Malenstyn's cap hit?

I think he replaces Tretiak.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Ovechkin is an authority who doesnt have any business interests (conflicts) if he serves as hockey federation or KHL head. Thats an appeal.

Russian hockey has a lot of problems, so thats naturally a good area to try to fix things at. Big task, ambitious enough.

It easily dwarfs Caps asst GM position.

And its a gig in your hometown, yeah (Msk is Moscow).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

What if is a what if. Its not reality. Fishman does all the cap hit projections. Why do I think it interests him? Its driven into him by his parents. He is a sports professional at the top end of the sport. He would be interested for the same reason that Yzerman is interested and he has a relationship with a team owner that clearly encourages him.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovechkin is an authority who doesnt have any business interests (conflicts) if he serves as hockey federation or KHL head. Thats an appeal.

Russian hockey has a lot of problems, so thats naturally a good area to try to fix things at. Big task, ambitious enough.

It easily dwarfs Caps asst GM position.

And its a gig in your hometown, yeah (Msk is Moscow).

Well...assistant gm is a stepping stone to gm. He isn't going to jump from player to gm. I would argue that head of the KHL is not close to superior to an NHL gm anymore than a star KHL player is superior to an NHL star.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
We assume he wont win olympic gold, right?

I think helping Russia win a best on best tournament would be his preference. Thats a process for years most probably.

Olympic team GM can do less than KHL or FHR (federation) leader. GM deals with grown up players and federation head can force the total cleaning we supposedly need to take next step forward.

I expect us to have a down period (see, there is no one behind Kuzy, Kuch, Tank and Panarin generation, so there will be some grim years right around Ovi retiring).

Thats clearly a possible scenario. Also Putin can directly ask him to do it. Because it'd be hard to find better person for that.

Thats my take.

Also I take into consideration the dynamics for your society. Its already wild enough from Russian POV and becomes more extreme from our traditionalistic standards each year.

10 years from now Moscow will be the capital of the world with 90+% probability (my own estimation, lets say it that way).

So I bet Ovi will be somehow connected with Russian hockey and living in Moscow suburbs.

Last edited:

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Back on the topic of injury: He has to have some sort of wrist injury. The backhand dekeshot against Vasi(TBL) yesterday was pretty horrible and he's clearly not been able to stickhandle properly lately.

Wasn't there a game recently that saw him get slashed on the wrist and then grinning badly on the bench?

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Back on the topic of injury: He has to have some sort of wrist injury. The backhand dekeshot against Vasi(TBL) yesterday was pretty horrible and he's clearly not been able to stickhandle properly lately.

Wasn't there a game recently that saw him get slashed on the wrist and then grinning badly on the bench?
My biggest concern is that it seems to be getting worse. He was at least firing still ok but noticeably worse wristers before, now he can barely seem to get anything off. I almost wish he'd just take a maintenance game at this point. Can't fault that attitude though.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We assume he wont win olympic gold, right?

I think helping Russia win a best on best tournament would be his preference. Thats a process for years most probably.

Olympic team GM can do less than KHL or FHR (federation) leader. GM deals with grown up players and federation head can force the total cleaning we supposedly need to take next step forward.

I expect us to have a down period (see, there is no one behind Kuzy, Kuch, Tank and Panarin generation, so there will be some grim years right around Ovi retiring).

Thats clearly a possible scenario. Also Putin can directly ask him to do it. Because it'd be hard to find better person for that.

Thats my take.

Also I take into consideration the dynamics for your society. Its already wild enough from Russian POV and becomes more extreme from our traditionalistic standards each year.

10 years from now Moscow will be the capital of the world with 90+% probability (my own estimation, lets say it that way).

So I bet Ovi will be somehow connected with Russian hockey and living in Moscow suburbs.

The vodka or Pelmeni capital of the world?

Your posts are over the top entertaining lately.....bravo!

lol....

You seem to have your heart set on him coming home. I won’t be surprised or mad either way. I myself have a hard time seeing Ovy as a GM, but stranger things have happened.

I hope he strives for more than some figurehead role no matter where he ends up.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The vodka or Pelmeni capital of the world?

Your posts are over the top entertaining lately.....bravo!

lol....

You seem to have your heart set on him coming home. I won’t be surprised or mad either way. I myself have a hard time seeing Ovy as a GM, but stranger things have happened.

I hope he strives for more than some figurehead role no matter where he ends up.

I don't care at all what Ovechkin does after his playing days are over. If he wants to return to Russia, that's ok with me. That said, if you look closely you can see business man Ov. Business man Ov is GM Ov. I think that if we were able to see deeper we would see the relationship that Ov has with Leonsis who in my opinion pushes Ov to be all he can be.

Ov is working with Papa John's now. That very likely means a relationship with Shaq who is a freaking mogul now days. That would be another driving influence. Only time will tell.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
But I don’t really see businessman Ovy. I see pitchman Ovy. (So far)

I wonder if he has designs on building an empire like Shaq, or just wants to coast in retirement....or somewhere in between....

Last edited:
Reactions: Another AZ

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
My take on Leonsis' comments is that he loves 19 and 8 like they're his kids. He's nurtured them since day 1 and built a family around them. He knows what they each want for their post-playing futures in regards to the Caps and anything else, and he already has a plan in place with them to make that happen.

Ted prioritizes the happiness that comes from following dreams and then giving back, and he's instilled that value in this organization. Whatever that means for Ovie and Backs is what will come next.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
A lot can change in 5-6 years. My read is Ted will support them in anything he can post playing career. If they want a role, they will find them roles. Beyond that, hard to project....

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
My biggest concern is that it seems to be getting worse. He was at least firing still ok but noticeably worse wristers before, now he can barely seem to get anything off. I almost wish he'd just take a maintenance game at this point. Can't fault that attitude though.

Yeah i kind of agree. Consistency is usually his forte. Let's just hope it's nothing that'll last long i guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad