Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t know. It’s nice to try and sell around here, but I’m not sure many believe the guy leading the league in goals while 105th in assists is suddenly being generous. I think he makes the right play when it’s needed, sometimes that means him deferring.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Ha, you know what I am saying. He has more than once this season passed a sure empty net goal to a teammate. Wasn't the Boyd goal a quality scoring chance that he gave away? Its happened much more often from what ive seen this season. Maybe I am wrong
The Boyd goal, Ovi made the right play. I'm not sure Ovi was in the best spot to score. Although Ovi can score from anywhere. There have definitely been times when Ovi passed when he probably should have taken the shot.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Ovie is absolutely amazing. Just when you think he can't top himself.

Back to back to back tricks and I'm buying a customized Ovechkin jersey in his honour. :D

Oh and Ovie now holds the single franchise record for PPGs with 237 passing some guy named Lemux.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Jun 15, 2007
Remember when it was inevitable that Crosby would surpass Ovechkin in points?

Not looking so inevitable now.

Reactions: Portable Mink

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Sorry if I missed where this was already posted, but the latest 31 Thoughts podcast is out and starts with a discussion of Ovie breaking Gretz’s all-time record. The segment ends with the guys talking about whether Ovie is, right now, the GOAT goal-scorer, when adjusted for era, and Friedman emphatically says, yes he is. Pretty cool.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Sorry if I missed where this was already posted, but the latest 31 Thoughts podcast is out and starts with a discussion of Ovie breaking Gretz’s all-time record. The segment ends with the guys talking about whether Ovie is, right now, the GOAT goal-scorer, when adjusted for era, and Friedman emphatically says, yes he is. Pretty cool.
Not sure what their methodology is, but the only two players with more adjusted goals than him played at least... oh, twice as many years as he's played...

NHL & WHA Career Leaders and Records for Adjusted Goals | Hockey-Reference.com

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
I like that turn in minds about Ovi when people begins to think about his numbers, begins to realize that guy is living legend and we lucky to see that kind of player in real life. we unlikely will see see someone like him with a similar style who on the ice responds with hits and goals for rudeness and has such a unique personality by scoring such numbers.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I think it is still pretty inevitable, just hoping he can hold him off longer than anyone thought.

It's absolutely amazing that Ovie could hold off Crosby that long as Center has always been the higher scoring position.

14 Centers have more points than the highest scoring LW of all time.

Fedorov is the 30th highest scoring Center at 1179 points.

Geoff Courtnall is the 30th highest scoring LW at 799 points.

I do think that staying ahead of Crosby motivates Ovechkin and probably irritates Crosby. Lol.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
To be expected (although I would not have put it past the league to put Scheifele as first star).

NEW YORK — Washington Capitals captain , Winnipeg Jets centre and Buffalo Sabres star
are the NHL three stars of the week.
Ovechkin led the league with seven goals in three games, highlighted by back-to-back hat tricks, as the Metropolitan Division-leading Capitals extended their winning streak to five games.
Scheifele led the NHL with 11 points (five goals, six assists) in four games, including back-to-back overtime goals, to lift the Jets to their fifth consecutive win overall and into first place in the Central Division.
Eichel ranked second in the NHL with nine points (five goals, four assists) in four games to power the Sabres to a 3-0-1 week and into second place in the Atlantic Division.

https://www.tsn.ca/ovechkin-scheifele-eichel-named-nhl-three-stars-of-the-week-1.1227721

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
hey if you live in WSH city do somffin to build Ovies Statue. It will be amazing and maybe he signs another deal because such a love to him in city instead turning back to Russia. I dont want to see him here untill his early 40 s

I do not live in the Washington area but I love the idea of a statue.

I am a fan of the Seattle Mariners baseball team and they have a statue of Ken Griffey Junior outside of the ball park.

I am not sure if it is regular practice to have a statue of a player still playing or playing for the team, though.

Definitely needs to be done at some point, however. :)

Reactions: geoo9

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I do not live in the Washington area but I love the idea of a statue.

I am a fan of the Seattle Mariners baseball team and they have a statue of Ken Griffey Junior outside of the ball park.

I am not sure if it is regular practice to have a statue of a player still playing or playing for the team, though.

Definitely needs to be done at some point, however. :)
I think when he eventually calls it a career, a statue out front of Cap1 Center is inevitable and appropriate.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I think when he eventually calls it a career, a statue out front of Cap1 Center is inevitable and appropriate.
I don't know where there's room to put it outside with people traffic, I think inside by the windows where they used to have a car would be a good spot

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I don't know where there's room to put it outside with people traffic, I think inside by the windows where they used to have a car would be a good spot
Ho-hum! Gotta be outside. Put it right on the corner at the top of the metro escalators if they have to. Or Ted can pay the city to widen the sidewalk in one spot by the main doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad