Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
People won't agree with this, which is fine, but he's the only generational player in this era. McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, etc. all elite, but all similar. No one has a skill set like Ovechkin's, he's a unique, once in a generation player.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think the existence of those guys cancel each other out. They're all very similar players, thus not once in a generation.

That's not the definition of a generational player in my book. It's one who dominated the era in which he/she played, who greatly impacted if not turned around a franchise and possibly the league. If that's not Crosby I don't know what to tell you. Too early to say on McHaysoos, but he's got the talent part it would seem.

I get that some believe it means a talent that typically only comes around once a generation, but that's not reality. You can have, and there have been across history, multiple generational talents playing at the same time, and it's happened in most sports I'd wager.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I love that it's come full circle. Ovie was clearly the better player when he and 87 were rooks and for the first few years of their careers. Then Ovie waned and Crosby emerged. Now we're back to Ovie is the one everyone's talking about. Obviously Crosby is first-ballot HOFer as well, but a lot of it is team accomplishments. Ovie's individual stuff is gonna be far better when it's all said and done. Already is, really.

McDavid is not even remotely in the conversation. His individual achievements don't come close to either 8 or 87 and his teams have done exactly nothing. He may well get there. But he ain't there yet.

Last edited:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
If Ovechkin somehow manages to beat Gretzky's records i think he will down the road be remembered as one of the greatest of players to ever touch the ice and will propably viewed with much more appreciation than he is getting as of now. Not to say he hasn't gotten his share but goal-scoring is the single hardest thing to do in this sport and taking away one of Gretzky's holy grail records that was on the history books as one of the ones that nobody would ever touch would be just mind-blowing, especially in the era he plays in. I mean HOF is full of guys dubbed as great goal-scorers who doesn't even reach half-way of that plateau.

He still has a realistic chance but once again... what a shame it is that the NHL took away those years from him.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
If Ovechkin somehow manages to beat Gretzky's records i think he will down the road be remembered as one of the greatest of players to ever touch the ice and will propably viewed with much more appreciation than he is getting as of now. Not to say he hasn't gotten his share but goal-scoring is the single hardest thing to do in this sport and taking away one of Gretzky's holy grail records that was on the history books as one of the ones that nobody would ever touch would be just mind-blowing, especially in the era he plays in. I mean HOF is full of guys dubbed as great goal-scorers who doesn't even reach half-way of that plateau.

He still has a realistic chance but once again... what a shame it is that the NHL took away those years from him.
The lost years are suck.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
He's hitting 60 this year. Typical Ovie doesn't even hit his goal-scoring stride until January. This is the most he's ever had in the first 30 games of the season.
I'm pulling for it, but the concerning thing is that his shots are down. I hope that Wilson coming back for good can help that line generate more, because converting at the rate he is over the full season would be unprecedented for Ovechkin.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I'm pulling for it, but the concerning thing is that his shots are down. I hope that Wilson coming back for good can help that line generate more, because converting at the rate he is over the full season would be unprecedented for Ovechkin.
The counter to that is the PP isn't humming yet. He'll find a way.

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
That's not the definition of a generational player in my book. It's one who dominated the era in which he/she played, who greatly impacted if not turned around a franchise and possibly the league. If that's not Crosby I don't know what to tell you. Too early to say on McHaysoos, but he's got the talent part it would seem.

I get that some believe it means a talent that typically only comes around once a generation, but that's not reality. You can have, and there have been across history, multiple generational talents playing at the same time, and it's happened in most sports I'd wager.
Like I said, you're free to disagree, but I think you're being overly lenient when using a definition that allows for multiple generational players. The definition is in the term itself. Generational, once in a generation. You can be an hall of fame player without being one imo.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Would be amazing. But nope. Not even close. The Cup is a lifelong dream fulfilled.

Totally fair points but I think the likelihood of watching your team win a championship is higher than the likelihood of watching a player on your team beat a record widely considered to be unbreakable. Also, by that point, Ovie will have been playing in DC for close to 20 years. The attachment we would feel to him and the excitement we'd all enjoy watching him chase down this record would be intense.

I totally hear you though - watching them raise the Cup was the zenith of Capitals fandom.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The man's a menace!

Whenever I say that, it's a compliment. I am so misunderstood.

caddyshack-pictures-4-fashionable-idea-a-1000-you-miss-that-putt-hd-youtube.jpg

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Totally fair points but I think the likelihood of watching your team win a championship is higher than the likelihood of watching a player on your team beat a record widely considered to be unbreakable. Also, by that point, Ovie will have been playing in DC for close to 20 years. The attachment we would feel to him and the excitement we'd all enjoy watching him chase down this record would be intense.

I totally hear you though - watching them raise the Cup was the zenith of Capitals fandom.

I think Ovi breaking that record would be almost as satisfying as the first Cup because he would probably retire shortly after and it would signal the end of his era.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

Odds may be higher, but my dad died without seeing it happen after 40 years as a STH. I can't take that lightly.

But don't get me wrong. If Ovie breaks 99's record, I will weep like a baby and rejoice. But watching him raise the org's first Cup... those images will bring me to tears forever.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Like I said, you're free to disagree, but I think you're being overly lenient when using a definition that allows for multiple generational players. The definition is in the term itself. Generational, once in a generation. You can be an hall of fame player without being one imo.

I think you need to research what writers and other sports consider generational. All I’ve read, and I did a little research, sides closer to my definition. But sure, agree to disagree.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Odds may be higher, but my dad died without seeing it happen after 40 years as a STH. I can't take that lightly.

But don't get me wrong. If Ovie breaks 99's record, I will weep like a baby and rejoice. But watching him raise the org's first Cup... those images will bring me to tears forever.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one.

Reactions: calicapsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad