Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Last year after Ovie scored his third hattrick of the season in Toronto, Oshie said this:

“When Big 8 is going he pulls the team with him. It wasn’t only the goals. but he was working, he was fore checking, he was skating, he was hitting. When he does all that, there aren’t too many guys in the world who can keep up.”

So amazing that this continues to be true after so many years, so many goals, so many hits. GOAT.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
A real pleasure to have as a fan. Probably never be so lucky again if you’re a Caps fan. Drink in every minute you can.

I cried so many times during Gretzky's farewell season and I refused to turn the t.v. off after his last game. I know I will do the same with Ovechkin.

The good news is we have a few more seasons of this awesome person(of the year)!!!!

Segue complete. ;)

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Ive been saying this. Its not nuts. Particularly as the league is trying to increase scoring. They have been successful in keeping sticks off of Ov's hands. We have thought his down seasons were at least partially because of wrist injuries from slashing. Nobody slashes hard at his hands anymore.
I had thought shoulder injuries (and he's stopped throwing his shoulder around so much especially this year)

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Math isn't crazy

If he is going to catch Gretzky the next few seasons are going to be key. While he has been extremely durable it's always a crapshoot regarding injuries for a player in his late 30s. But if he gets to, say, 750 goals by the end of the 2020-21 season he will be in reach. Under this assumption he'd need to average 29 goals from ages 36-40 to pass Gretzky, or 21 goals from ages 36-42.

It's insane how good he is at scoring goals.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If he is going to catch Gretzky the next few seasons are going to be key. While he has been extremely durable it's always a crapshoot regarding injuries for a player in his late 30s. But if he gets to, say, 750 goals by the end of the 2020-21 season he will be in reach. Under this assumption he'd need to average 29 goals from ages 36-40 to pass Gretzky, or 21 goals from ages 36-42.

It's insane how good he is at scoring goals.

750 isn't likely. That's almost 50 a year for this and the next 2 seasons. But it's also not likely that he drops from 50 to 29 suddenly either. 50 this year, the 40s til he is 35. Those declining seasons in the 30s are what makes it work

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
He's hitting 60 this year. Typical Ovie doesn't even hit his goal-scoring stride until January. This is the most he's ever had in the first 30 games of the season.

When he does that, he'll only have to average a shade under 38 goals for 6 seasons to pass Gretzky.

Personally, I don't think 8 retires (barring injury) until he gets 900.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->