Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovie skipping AS game. I have a hard time believing he needs rest as the AS game format is not very taxing. I think this is a slap against the Olympics. And I’m for that. I also hate the sit out rule, the nhl shouldn’t force that on players.

It's not hard for me to believe he is tired of dinged. His stats show it clearly

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
So he knows he will be injured 3+ weeks from now... I don't buy it.

I am not sure why he would tell the world that, especially since NHL injuries are top secret.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Most consecutive 30 goal seasons
Mike Gartner 15 WSH/MIN/NYR/TOR
Jaromir Jagr 15 PIT/WSH/NYR
Ovechkin 14 WSH
Wayne Gretzky 13 EDM/LAK

Most 30 goal seasons
Mike Gartner 17 WSH/MIN/NYR/TOR/PHX
Ovechkin 14 WSH
Wayne Gretzky 14 EDM/LAK
Marcel Dionne 14 DET/LAK/NYR
Gordie Howe 14 DET

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

I am not sure why he would tell the world that, especially since NHL injuries are top secret.
Except for if you're Erik Karlsson. Anyhow, a very smart decision by Ovie. Who wants to waste a weekend at a PR circus, in a format that is a joke? I would've done the same if I was him.

Khomutov

Sep 22, 2015
Despite a 6 game drought he is still on pace for 62 goals. I don't believe he hit 60, but over 55 at his age would be very impressive.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He finally got his cup. He can stop worrying about what the league expects from him.

Mike Gartner doesn't get enough love. It is some high company he keeps in the record books.

Reactions: calicapsfan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I did some research after seeing this and found that only 46 other active players in the NHL have 217 or more career goals. Ovie's post-30-goals-in-a-season goal totals are good enough for 47th in the league in terms of career goals by active players. That is nuts.

The Legend grows.....

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Most consecutive 30 goal seasons
Mike Gartner 15 WSH/MIN/NYR/TOR
Ovechkin 14 WSH
Wayne Gretzky 13 EDM/LAK

Most 30 goal seasons
Mike Gartner 17 WSH/MIN/NYR/TOR/PHX
Ovechkin 14 WSH
Wayne Gretzky 14 EDM/LAK
Marcel Dionne 14 DET/LAK/NYR
Gordie Howe 14 DET

Thats some pretty special company right there. Boil it down to most consecutive 30 goal seasons to start a career and its only Ovi and Gartner.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Gartner’s longevity was amazing. Those wheels and that shot....phew.

Still baffles me how he was traded 4 times. Mostly baffles me that he was traded away from the Caps. He would have won a Stanley Cup with the Rags if they hadn't traded him at the deadline, after scoring 40+ for them three years in a row.

Reactions: RandyHolt

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Still baffles me how he was traded 4 times. Mostly baffles me that he was traded away from the Caps. He would have won a Stanley Cup with the Rags if they hadn't traded him at the deadline, after scoring 40+ for them three years in a row.
The Rangers needed scoring so they shipped out Dahlen for Gartner, who did quite well in New York...until Keenan replaced Roger Nielson as coach. Iron Mike favored players of a certain style, and felt Gartner didn't have what it takes to win. Neil Smith didn't want to trade him but shipped him to Toronto for Anderson. For a team in a win now mode, it was the right move for them, at the time of the trade, Anderson had more success and experience in the playoffs, and the 'intangibles' that Keenan wanted. Would've liked to have seen Gartner get a Cup, but I'm not sure the Rangers win it with him.
At the time of the trade, Anderson had played 208 playoff games, 207 points, winning 4 cups. Gartner had 81 playoff games with 69 points and hadn't played past the 2nd round (What's strange, is that in the '94 playoffs, Gartner outscored Anderson and made it to the Western Conference finals, but Anderson got another Cup).
In '92, Gartner and the Rangers might've made it to the Finals if not for a Ron Francis shot from outside the blueline that got past Richter in game 4 of the Patrick Division Finals. Pens came back to win that gamein OT and took the series in 6, NY would've been up 3-1 and going back to MSG for game 5. Gartner was pretty good that postseason, 16 points in 13 games...career high in points and goals (8).

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Thats some pretty special company right there. Boil it down to most consecutive 30 goal seasons to start a career and its only Ovi and Gartner.
Gartner's streak ended in a shortened season. After the shorten season he had 2 more 30 goals seasons. It is possible that Gartner could have had 18 consecutive.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Loved Garts, I just always felt he had too much of a perimeter game.
Yeah, he was weak in the board battles, but made up for it with his wheels and shot. Gartner's problem was that he was too nice of a guy...not enough battle in him. Maybe coincidence, maybe not, but Caps, Minnesota, and NY all traded him for more grittier players even though he played really well wherever he was. Great Cap and a good guy, at least it's Ovechkin that tied him for consecutive 30s, and will break it next season.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
So Wayne doesn't hold quite every record..
Gartner scored 30 his first 15 years, but Gretzky scored 30 his first 13 years and led the league in assists each of those years that is crazy, it’s like you think his first column is impressive it’s gravy compared to the next column.
Loved Garts, I just always felt he had too much of a perimeter game.
Floater

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Gartner scored 30 his first 15 years, but Gretzky scored 30 his first 13 years and led the league in assists each of those years that is crazy, it’s like you think his first column is impressive it’s gravy compared to the next column.

Floater

More like circler.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Garts was O first. Two dimensional but it was a dual. Great speed and great shot when at full speed. I think that is what set him apart from most all players. He was not a stationary one timer guy. He could move and think he won the speed comp at the ASG almost every year, until they took out the net because some orge crashed into it one time. Garts spoke about it making it easier for everyone.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Cause he is a stand up guy. He never said he was injured he said his body needed the break, the "injury" was implied by the media.

Ovechkin has a newborn, had a crazy summer but still was shown training like a beast. I hope he goes to Miami, sits on the beach, comes back and is laser focused to lead his team down the stretch.

“First of all, thanks for all the fans who voted for me,” Ovechkin said Wednesday. “I know it’s a tough decision, obviously. I like to be part of all the events, but right now I think that time of the year and my age we decide to take a one-week break. It’s hard, but it’s better for me.”

“It’s all the little things right now,” Ovechkin said. “You can take the short offseason, a long [playoff] run, but right now my body needs a rest. I’m not saying it’s sore or something, but for us I think it’s the right decision.”

Reactions: Maldini

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Cause he is a stand up guy. He never said he was injured he said his body needed the break, the "injury" was implied by the media.

Ovechkin has a newborn, had a crazy summer but still was shown training like a beast. I hope he goes to Miami, sits on the beach, comes back and is laser focused to lead his team down the stretch.

His body won't need a break, if he is not injured. Its probably more like his brain needs a break, from hockey. It's lame that the league suspends players that don't want to be part of the All star game. I call bunk that the ASG is what brings in new fans. Its actually probably the opposite. New interested fans needs to see some 5 on 5 hardcore action to get addicted. Only hardcore NHL fans can stomach watching the ASG.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad