Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Yeah sucks. She's in a better place tho I'm sure.

It does strike me funny that when Ovechkin broke into the league the first 4 years everyone (generally media wise). During his down years they then turned against him something fierce.

Now they seem to have swung back around to liking him.

Looking back to about the 20 game mark of Oates' first year I am glad he has recaptured his touch, confidence and his enthusiasm. At times it really didn't look like he was going to. Guess he ROARED back.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
As a now older beer league player I dont believe Ovi's stick handling has regressed. I assume mose of you guys play or have played for a long time. What I find having played forever is you simply become much smarter. Ovi is choosing not to try and dangle every player he encounters. What we are remembering is the 25 times Ovi absolutely danced thru people 5-6 years ago but we are forgetting the 1500 times he was simply stopped, checked or lost the puck. Its funny playing against much younger players now that will try to dangle you every single time. I believe that part of one's game fades with experience. Keeping possession for your team becomes the goal.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
As a now older beer league player I dont believe Ovi's stick handling has regressed. I assume mose of you guys play or have played for a long time. What I find having played forever is you simply become much smarter. Ovi is choosing not to try and dangle every player he encounters. What we are remembering is the 25 times Ovi absolutely danced thru people 5-6 years ago but we are forgetting the 1500 times he was simply stopped, checked or lost the puck. Its funny playing against much younger players now that will try to dangle you every single time. I believe that part of one's game fades with experience. Keeping possession for your team becomes the goal.

I don't think he has the skate speed and quickness he used to have. He may still have the hands but the same moves don't work as much if you're not also blowing by guys.

He's also getting double and triple teamed more. Watched game 2 of the 2009 series vs the Penguins yesterday and he had so much more room on the ice. They all did.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I don't think he has the skate speed and quickness he used to have. He may still have the hands but the same moves don't work as much if you're not also blowing by guys.

He's also getting double and triple teamed more. Watched game 2 of the 2009 series vs the Penguins yesterday and he had so much more room on the ice. They all did.

The league flat out giving up on obstruction penalties doesn't help either.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

I think his shot has improved. He replaced the long sweeping wrist shot with the quick snap shot as his #1 shooting weapon. His release is more compact and he didn't really lose any power or accuracy.
His one-timer improved too.

He has less room on the ice, but he needs less room to get it in the back of the net. It compensates for the speed he lost.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I think his shot has improved. He replaced the long sweeping wrist shot with the quick snap shot as his #1 shooting weapon. His release is more compact and he didn't really lose any power or accuracy.
His one-timer improved too.

He has less room on the ice, but he needs less room to get it in the back of the net. It compensates for the speed he lost.

His shot has always been seemingly unstoppable, except for a period where he couldn't hit the net and his gear was suspected as a culprit. In the game I watched yesterday all his shots were insanely sharp. He buried a one-timer off a PP(?) faceoff from his current turret spot and the agility he had in just getting there was nuts. Then he fit it in a sliver of space shortside vs MAF. All in maybe a bit over one second from puck drop.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
As great as he was last year he's still not the same player stylistically :(

Compared to this season:

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I don't know about stylistic change. Sure, he now relies on his shot and positioning more than on dangles and footraces, but he's still capable of both, he scores highlight reel goals again, and he didn't have Young Guns, an all-offense coach and the refs who call everything last year. I'd say Ovechkin has evolved really well.

Mackinnonen

Sep 6, 2015
how many points do you think Alex will score next season?

I'm thinking roughly 50/35. With the addition of Oshie and Williams i'm sure he'll be tearing it up, plus age shouldn't be a factor at this point yet. What i'm really hoping for though is that he shines in the big stage and scores some beauties in the playoffs to prove the haters wrong.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
how many points do you think Alex will score next season?

I'm thinking roughly 50/35. With the addition of Oshie and Williams i'm sure he'll be tearing it up, plus age shouldn't be a factor at this point yet. What i'm really hoping for though is that he shines in the big stage and scores some beauties in the playoffs to prove the haters wrong.

I see 50/40/90 for Ovi this year. Little jump in production with the addition of Oshie/Williams and the youngsters Kuz/Bura taking a step forward.

What really matters is what happens in April/May/June. It's time to win.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
Just need to avoid the Rangers in the yoffs.

Ovi versus the Rangers scores at a 38 goal pace.

Ovi versus everyone else scores at a 48 goal pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad