Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
This is the earliest I recall seeing Ovie on-ice in the off-season. Or on this side of the Atlantic.

Of course, he often does the pre preseason publicity tour in New York. That must break up his workouts to an extent.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I think he’s finally grown up to simplify it. Maybe he can see the end of his career in his head and wants to give it his all the home stretch? I agree though....a marked change since before last season. I definitely was curious if he’d come into camp in top shape. Seems like he could be working harder and harder in the offseason.

I think he realizes he needs to work more to be on top of his game at the age of 33, simple as that.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I think he realizes he needs to work more to be on top of his game at the age of 33, simple as that.

I agree about the age thing but not sure about it not being about more as well.

Getting ready to have a child, has a taste of team success, second oldest guy on the team and Orpik is famous for his workouts and diet regimen, etc.

I don't think it happens but man one more 50 goal season would be beyond insane. Hull, Jagr, Bucyk are the only other at 33+.

Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I agree about the age thing but not sure about it not being about more as well.

Getting ready to have a child, has a taste of team success, second oldest guy on the team and Orpik is famous for his workouts and diet regimen, etc.

I don't think it happens but man one more 50 goal season would be beyond insane. Hull, Jagr, Bucyk are the only other at 33+.

Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

You do need to workout more as you get older. Things like muscle memory peak and decline past that age.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Bobby Hull was Canadian and Brett Hull is American, could be a similar scenario where the kid feels more American because he grew up in the states.

Sure, if the kid grows up here. Ovie could go back to Russia when his contract is up, or keep playing in the NHL for another 10 years, or retire and do something else here. Who knows what the future holds for the Ovechkins.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Sure, if the kid grows up here. Ovie could go back to Russia when his contract is up, or keep playing in the NHL for another 10 years, or retire and do something else here. Who knows what the future holds for the Ovechkins.

Could be the same scenario as Galchenyuk where he was born in America, grew up for a good portion of his childhood in Russia and then returned to NA to begin his career.

Who knows if Ovi Jr. will even be a hockey player though.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Bobby Hull was Canadian and Brett Hull is American, could be a similar scenario where the kid feels more American because he grew up in the states.
I guess you dont know your Brett Hull history. Brett Hull was actually born in Canada and has duel citizenship. The only reason he ever played international hockey for US was because he was passed over by Canada in 1986 to play in the IIHL world hockey championships. When Canada didnt invite him USA hockey gave him a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad