Player Discussion Alexander Ovechkin (Vol. 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I figured he had to be there. Saw a video his wife posted of their “compound”......must say, what I could see, I expected nicer....

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Not sure when Mrs. Ovechkin is due but wouldn't it be cool if the baby was born on August 8th? :laugh:

If it is born on 8/7 I might not like it as much. ;)

Jun 15, 2007
Not sure when Mrs. Ovechkin is due but wouldn't it be cool if the baby was born on August 8th? :laugh:

If it is born on 8/7 I might not like it as much. ;)
You think Nate Schmidt is the real father?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
You think Nate Schmidt is the real father?

No, Eric Lindros. ;)

ezgif-com-optimize-20.gif

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Seeing Claude Giroux with the second highest slapshot% surprised me, but given his role on the PP I guess it shouldn't be shocking.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Al Macinnis previously had the best slapshot I'd ever seen and I wonder if he ever scored more than the 17 goals in a season Ovy had last year from his slapper and he played when they scored more.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Al Macinnis previously had the best slapshot I'd ever seen and I wonder if he ever scored more than the 17 goals in a season Ovy had last year from his slapper and he played when they scored more.

“Best”? Really? Among the hardest for sure. Powerful thudding shots. I watched him a ton as a kid. Loved big Al.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
“Best”? Really? Among the hardest for sure. Powerful thudding shots. I watched him a ton as a kid. Loved big Al.
How does one define a great slapshot? Maybe MacInnis for power, Kovalchuk for release, Ovy with a better release than Kovy and 97% of Macinnis's power.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Exactly....that’s why I took issue with your use of “best”.

I’d take Hull or Ovy’s over Al.
Ovy's slapshot is the most devastating weapon I've seen unless you count Gretzky behind the net, but for Macinnis vs the rest of the field, Flames won the Cup building their offense around his slapper. I found a quote in this NYT article from Roy where he said their whole plan was to have Macinnis put it on net and have Mullen and Nieuwendyk try to get rebounds. Led postseason in assists and won the Conn Smythe.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Ovi's slapshot is the best. No one can get as much power, accuracy and elevation as him on a consistent basis. Only Brett Hull, Stamkos and Kovalchuk come close IMO.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Ovy's slapshot is the most devastating weapon I've seen unless you count Gretzky behind the net, but for Macinnis vs the rest of the field, Flames won the Cup building their offense around his slapper. I found a quote in this NYT article from Roy where he said their whole plan was to have Macinnis put it on net and have Mullen and Nieuwendyk try to get rebounds. Led postseason in assists and won the Conn Smythe.

And that’s exactly why I have Hull and Ovy ahead of him. That play style doesn’t translate successfully in today’s game...Hull and Ovy would dominate any era Imo. Deadly accuracy and power will always trump sheer power for me when judging effectiveness.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I have followed Ovechkin's career since the 2003 at the WJC's and he seems like such a different person starting with last season. I know he works out, I know he is in better shape than he has ever gotten credit for but video of him working out on the ice with other players this early, damn!

Last edited:
Reactions: kmart

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think he’s finally grown up to simplify it. Maybe he can see the end of his career in his head and wants to give it his all the home stretch? I agree though....a marked change since before last season. I definitely was curious if he’d come into camp in top shape. Seems like he could be working harder and harder in the offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad