Confirmed with Link: Alexander Ljungkrantz RW 2020 3rd rd pick

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
I think the problem is, Lou kept all of the Snow led scouts, so typically, they do horrible in rounds 3 & 4, sometimes even in round 1, but especially rounds 3 & 4. Oddly enough, instead of quickly snatching up someone rated higher than their slot, for instance someone rated 85, ok let's snatch him up at 90, they grab someone who MOST LIKELY be there in round 7, they grab him at 90. And in the history of the Milbury/Snow/Lamoriello era, it's NEVER worked out.
Sorokin and Pelech say hi. Cizikas says whazzup.

Reactions: LeapOnOver and buud

scott99

May 13, 2005
I know we get the yearly scottisms with the draft here, but with all due respect why does anyone care about where players were ranked? That is what got us Reinhart, MDC, and Strome.
I'm ok taking someone rated 80-120 at pick 90, at least they are in the ballpark. Picking someone not rated in the top 250, at 90, is just pure stupidity and arrogance, trying to show you're the smartest guy in the room. Snow and team did that for 12 years, how did that work out ? Unfortunately Lou kept those same scouts, so this is going to happen over and over again.

Reinhart, MDC and Strome were selected by Snow and the same scouts we still have.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
The gritty Swede likes getting to the danger areas. He also battles well along the boards and has a knack for finding seams and getting into space in and around the crease. Additionally, he is a good skater who moves up ice well. His skating is not “elite” but he uses his edges effectively when protecting the puck, when fighting for position, and to get space for himself.
While the man from Gästrikland is not an exceptionally skilled player he has some plus offensive skills. His release is good, and he shoots well in stride or stationary. But he does not have the deftest of touch or the high-end vision to create high-danger chances consistently.

Scouting Report: Alexander Ljungkrantz - Smaht Scouting

Smaht Scouting, is that Cappy's website?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Is Guildenstern still on the board?
I don't know, 6 hours in, I think my mind is on snooze control right now. Sounds like you like him. The rest of the draft is just going to be shoot for the moon and hope you hit. I can see a Goalie being picked. They usually go late.

Reactions: buud

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
If the Islanders only had a brilliant scout like Scott99 running their drafts. Wasted this entire time on an internet message board. 31 teams completely doing it wrong. They should just read stats off hockeydb and ISS rankings.

Hey if I keep moving these goal posts, you're still wrong.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

scott99

May 13, 2005
If the Islanders only had a brilliant scout like Scott99 running their drafts. Wasted this entire time on an internet message board. 31 teams completely doing it wrong. They should just read stats off hockeydb and ISS rankings.
Seriously, I know you’re saying this in jest, but the last 2 years, I think I can do better. Holmstrom and the 2 picks this year, when better talent was available, will be an epic fail just like Cammarata and Leduc and so many others. I seriously don’t know what they are doing. If someone can explain to me why they are taking 7th round players in rounds 3 and 4, I’d be completely receptive to any logic that could make sense. But I doubt there is anything there.

2018, Dobson, Wahlstrom and Wilde were GREAT picks. Highly rated prospects that slid to their draft slots, and they didn’t f*** up by drafting 3rd rounders at 11, 12 & 41. Holmstrom, if he ever winds up being equivalent to a 1st round talent, or better than the guys they passed up, I will print these words and eat them (with ketchup).

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I'm not arguing with anyone. I'm just saying you should put your hat in the ring. When you go to speak with an NHL team though, please record it and post how it goes. Specifically when they ask what makes you qualified. I'm not sure they value hindsight as highly as some do around here, though. Just a warning.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I'm not arguing with anyone. I'm just saying you should put your hat in the ring. When you go to speak with an NHL team though, please record it and post how it goes. Specifically when they ask what makes you qualified. I'm not sure they value hindsight as highly as some do around here, though. Just a warning.
None of my comments are in hindsight, they are being made as the garbage is happening. That being said, I can’t put my hat in the ring because I have ZERO experience in the scouting game, at age 58. BUT, unfortunately I’ve been right about some of the horrible picks made, because they are obvious gaffes the moment they happen.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

Arsenalogist24

Dec 10, 2013
ANYWAY. Jesper Fast comparison, and with the SHL going on we’ve got one more prospect to keep an eye on and get updated with

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I'm ok taking someone rated 80-120 at pick 90, at least they are in the ballpark. Picking someone not rated in the top 250, at 90, is just pure stupidity and arrogance, trying to show you're the smartest guy in the room. Snow and team did that for 12 years, how did that work out ? Unfortunately Lou kept those same scouts, so this is going to happen over and over again.

Reinhart, MDC and Strome were selected by Snow and the same scouts we still have.
I bet you HATED the Chara pick then, right? Also, Reinhart, MDC and Strome were taken right around where the publications predicted them to go, so you were ok with those, right?

3 picks in 20 years.
Nielsen and Nilsson too then. I'm curious, how many legit NHLers do you think most teams got from the 3-4th in those 20 years?

Last edited:

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
Seriously, I know you’re saying this in jest, but the last 2 years, I think I can do better. Holmstrom and the 2 picks this year, when better talent was available, will be an epic fail just like Cammarata and Leduc and so many others. I seriously don’t know what they are doing. If someone can explain to me why they are taking 7th round players in rounds 3 and 4, I’d be completely receptive to any logic that could make sense. But I doubt there is anything there.

2018, Dobson, Wahlstrom and Wilde were GREAT picks. Highly rated prospects that slid to their draft slots, and they didn’t f*** up by drafting 3rd rounders at 11, 12 & 41. Holmstrom, if he ever winds up being equivalent to a 1st round talent, or better than the guys they passed up, I will print these words and eat them (with ketchup).

Hmmm......an internet message board dude vs. a hall of fame Gm who’s maybe getting some insight from a hall of fame head coach.....

who do I trust?.......who......jeez, I just can’t decide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad