Confirmed with Link: Alexander Ljungkrantz RW 2020 3rd rd pick

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
when i read about him, i immediately imagined another Cizikas. if so, i am happy with that.

for those clamoring that we NEED scoring, i ask, how did we manage to do so well, with our 'pathetic' scoring?

you like the sizzle, i get it. flashy dudes are the visual superstars. but, defence is just as important. there is a reason why the top goalies are the top paid players in the league. for the Isles, Pelech is considered as important as Barzal, IMO.

Reactions: Costigan77 and Seph

scott99

May 13, 2005
I bet you HATED the Chara pick then, right? Also, Reinhart, MDC and Strome were taken right around where the publications predicted them to go, so you were ok with those, right?

Nielsen and Nilsson too then. I'm curious, how many legit NHLers do you think most teams got from the 3-4th in those 20 years?
HATED the Reinhart pick, wanted Filip Forsberg. Liked the MDC and Strome picks, I was ok with them, because they didn't reach for a 2nd round rated prospect, they picked where they were rated. Strome has turned out to be a decent player, took some time, kinda like Bailey.

Liked the Chara pick, because he was picked right around where he was rated, wasn't rated as a 7th round pick. Nielsen I liked, once again, wasn't a 7th round rated prospect. Nilsson pick I liked, but preferred Parise at that time.

I'd say at least 65-70% of the time, the slot you are drafting at, say at #10, if there is someone still there rated higher than your slot, if you take him, it USUALLY works out well. If you are at #10, and you take #47, it usually doesn't work out, and that higher rated player, who was still there, who was rated 7-10, usually works out. And even the players rated 10-20 usually work out better than picks rated #47.

One example is Holmstrom, there were so many better prospects available at that time. Unfortunately he has proven me prophetic so far, when he did play, he was below average, wasn't even wanted by his WJC team (didn't even get invited to Sweden's WJC camp last year or this year), now, once again he is injured, or not deemed good enough to play, hasn't played one game for his Swedish team (they've played 3 games so far). The prospects that were available that were rated MUCH higher than him, dominated in their leagues, and some in international tournaments. I will not be shocked when Holmstrom becomes nothing more than an AHL or Swedish league veteran, with maybe 30-100 NHL games total. Just a TERRIBLE pick, knew it immediately.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Interesting Alexander is a left handed shot that plays on the right side. Atleast he is versatile, can probably play on both sides. This won't hurt.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Slightly reminiscent of the Clark pick some years ago, also in the third round. Hard to see any real upside for someone taken this early. Probably could have got him in the 7th

scott99

May 13, 2005
SYNOPSIS:
In general, we've now seen three years of drafting under Lamoriello. As someone who has been very busy with NHL prospects for over a decade now, my feeling on each draft the day after was as follows:
2018 - Ecstatic. Felt we killed it.
2019 - Indifferently disappointed. Simply felt that better prospects were available at every juncture of the draft and didn't understand the need for those overagers at that point.
2020 - Disappointed. Simply feels like either personal politics in the scouting staff or unexplainable infatuation delivered no less than our 3rd and 4th rounders. It doesn't feel like the staff has any emphasis on BPA or any strategical feel for what guys are going to be available when or if they even need to be drafted. This group looks like they could have mailed in the list before the draft and would have gotten four of the five guys right where they expected them.

It's fairly clear to me that whichever of the scouts has the kind of sway to have this team take Holmstrom over say Tomasino or McMichael last summer, had the very same say in us taking Ljungkrantz already in the third round yesterday. The guy clearly has a decisive word on that front. It also looks like the guy scouting the Q gets one pick a draft. Bolduc was a bit surprising, but is looking good. Dufour was the most "sane" of the picks yesterday. Like with Coskey and Bibeau last summer, we used one of few picks on an overager who likely wasn't getting drafted one way or another. I don't quite understand this tactic, because players like this can just be added after the draft solely for money. At least with Coskey, we knew that the team had seen a lot of him due to Wilde and Jenkins.

All in all though, the past two drafts parlay the impression that this staff
A) Doesn't watch and make use of who is falling or look to drop back if you want a guy who no-one else is looking at anyways.
B) Is very set in its ways/mindframe and could care less if they fly against conventional wisdom. Which can be ok, "if you're right". We won't know that for a good long while.

This was Chapin's comments. The utmost draft expert on HF Islander's board. Maybe the whole HF Board. He says it 1,000,000 x more eloquently than I do, but he's basically saying the same thing I was saying. Of course I was ridiculed, and people thought, "oh it's scott99's usual draft rant", but when it's said by a wordsmith (and I mean that in a good way) and supreme draft expert like Chapin, it's given more weight, and understandably so. I absolutely take Chapin's word as gospel, he's the ultimate NHL draft expert.

Reactions: Isles727

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
hard to get my panties twisted when we didnt have a 1st or 2nd round pick. most picks late in the 3rd round or beyond dont make it....so getting the guys you want at that point is fine.

that being said, i didnt like the Holmstrom pick last year with some centers available and an area of need....

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
hard to get my panties twisted when we didnt have a 1st or 2nd round pick. most picks late in the 3rd round or beyond dont make it....so getting the guys you want at that point is fine.

that being said, i didnt like the Holmstrom pick last year with some centers available and an area of need....

Sorokin,Pelech,Toews,Cizikas,Lee,and Martin all were 3rd or later selections . Except for Sorokin of course I have to think where would we be without them .

I like these guys better than the Ryan Strome, MDC, Nino Neiderreitter and Griff mistakes . It’s called heart baby. As Isles fans we have really gotten behind our later picks and always are excited when they succeed. Probably because we know our top picks usually have sucked . This is not in any way a slight at your post. Just adding something to the 3rd round and later thoughts.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Sorokin,Pelech,Toews,Cizikas,Lee,and Martin all were 3rd or later selections . Except for Sorokin of course I have to think where would we be without them .

I like these guys better than the Ryan Strome, MDC, Nino Neiderreitter and Griff mistakes . It’s called heart baby. As Isles fans we have really gotten behind our later picks and always are excited when they succeed. Probably because we know our top picks usually have sucked . This is not in any way a slight at your post. Just adding something to the 3rd round and later thoughts.

Yeah I certainly hear that, its always nice when you get value from those picks, my only point is that they're generally crap shoots. If we knew Lee would be Lee, he wouldnt have lasted until the 6th round...

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Yeah I certainly hear that, its always nice when you get value from those picks, my only point is that they're generally crap shoots. If we knew Lee would be Lee, he wouldnt have lasted until the 6th round...

well Lee is an exception because he was undecided if he would play football or hockey so we took a shot . If I remember it correctly of course .

Reactions: scott99

scott99

May 13, 2005
well Lee is an exception because he was undecided if he would play football or hockey so we took a shot . If I remember it correctly of course .
You nailed it. He was a HS QB, and several college teams wanted him to play football. The ONLY reason he slipped to the 6th round. Was a goal scorer everywhere he played. At worst, would have been a 3rd round pick.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
You nailed it. He was a HS QB, and several college teams wanted him to play football. The ONLY reason he slipped to the 6th round. Was a goal scorer everywhere he played. At worst, would have been a 3rd round pick.

he still holds the Minnesota record for H.S. yards in a game at 581 yards . 477 passing and 104 rushing in one game . With the Jets and Giants both 0-4 Anders Lee might right now be the best quarterback in the New York metropolitan area.

( the kid on the Buffalo Bills is doing great so I cut ny state out. LGI )

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
he still holds the Minnesota record for H.S. yards in a game at 581 yards . 477 passing and 104 rushing in one game . With the Jets and Giants both 0-4 Anders Lee might right now be the best quarterback in the New York metropolitan area.

tenor.gif

Isles727

Nov 20, 2010
The only reason Lee fell to 6th round was because all the other teams were convinced he was going to play football for his career. That's only reason why.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

If you're old enough to remember, Charlie Ward was once, the best QB in NY. In 1997, this was the NY QB's.

Giants: Danny Kanell (10) / Dave Brown (6)
Jets: Chuck Clements Glenn Foley Neil O'Donnell
Bills: Todd Collins Alex Van Pelt

If you combined all 7 and built 1 QB out of them......He would still suck!

Pellegrino

Oct 30, 2007
Sweden
At least someone in the scouting system has seen something that no one else has with this kid. Or we can hope so at the very least.
Not really. My home town Gävle has had plenty of NHLers over the years and Ljungkrantz was hardly a hidden gem, his talent was very well-known here and we always expected him to get drafted in his draft year.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Not really. My home town Gävle has had plenty of NHLers over the years and Ljungkrantz was hardly a hidden gem, his talent was very well-known here and we always expected him to get drafted in his draft year.
Yeah, but apparently not in the 3rd round. Every agency seems to have had him ranked as a 7th rounder or thereabouts, but we'd love a little insight from you what he is like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->