Player Discussion Alexandar Georgiev

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Just going to put this out there now: if these things remain unchanged, no one should be shocked if the Rangers go with a three man rotation after the holidays.
I believe it. He is doing what we all hoped he would. Forcing the conversation. Along with what is going on at Hartford, this is a scenario that no one envisioned. Not one, but two possible successors to a player who has been the best at his position in franchise history.

And, btw, lots of credit to Allaire. You are hearing some of the same mantra from Georgiev that a very young Henke used so say. Be there an be square.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Just going to put this out there now: if these things remain unchanged, no one should be shocked if the Rangers go with a three man rotation after the holidays.
If Georgiev maintains this level of play, I have a hard time seeing him being sent down, even if only for a couple games.

Last edited:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If Georgiev maintains this level of play, I have a hard time seeing him being sent down, even if only for a couple games.

I don't think georgiev will go down...they clearly aren't worried about protecting his waiver status and the way its going he'll play 11 more games and need waivers before Igor is ready.

so in a 3 goalie rotation you'll probably be looking at 3 goalies on the roster at a time (since we don't carry 23 guys anyway) if Igor coming up to get a few starts and then going back down when he isn't playing. that would be my guess...how you break down the games split without injury is the mystery.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
It'll never happen but the Rangers need to "Ray Bourque" Lundqvist.

the problem with that idea is what cup contender needs a goalie? unless someone gets hurt or wants hank as a backup. those teams normally aren't looking for a starting goalie at the deadline

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
the problem with that idea is what cup contender needs a goalie? unless someone gets hurt or wants hank as a backup. those teams normally aren't looking for a starting goalie at the deadline
SJS would make a ton of sense – if they can right the ship somewhat.

Veteran squad, cosmopolitan area, good friends on the team, existing goalie with a history of pitching stinkers at the absolute worst time. Also, I think his sister lives in the area?

They just need to stop the nosedive.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
SJS would make a ton of sense – if they can right the ship somewhat.

Veteran squad, cosmopolitan area, good friends on the team, existing goalie with a history of pitching stinkers at the absolute worst time. Also, I think his sister lives in the area?

They just need to stop the nosedive.

how is Sj turning it around without martin being part of it? also the sharks currently have $255k in cap space

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
So at this point is Georgiev the number one and playing the majority of games as the hot hand?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So at this point is Georgiev the number one and playing the majority of games as the hot hand?
I think Lundqvist has 6 starts and Georgiev has 5. If Georgiev keeps it up, he may begin to pick up the majority of starts, but Lundqvist is still going to get his games in as well. And then Shesterkin is in the picture, as well.

Reactions: Puckclektr

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
Georgiev on Monday vs Ottawa. Then its back to back vs Detroit and Carolina. I'm sure Georgiev and Lundqvist will split those starts. Then who gets Florida on Sunday?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Its a tough situation for the next 1 1/2 years until Lundqvist is gone dealing with 3 goalies...but my take on the situation is that its a mistake to move georgiev simply because shesterkin has been hyped in the system for years and assumed to be the top guy. shesterkin might very well be the better guy but georgiev has played well enough that you can't just make that assumption. I think its a mistake to move either without knowing who is really better and unfortunately there is almost no chance we'll know that for sure within the next year.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

that never happens at the NHL level. It hurts all 3 goalies. Forget that idea

Last edited:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Its a tough situation for the next 1 1/2 years until Lundqvist is gone dealing with 3 goalies...but my take on the situation is that its a mistake to move georgiev simply because shesterkin has been hyped in the system for years and assumed to be the top guy. shesterkin might very well be the better guy but georgiev has played well enough that you can't just make that assumption. I think its a mistake to move either without knowing who is really better and unfortunately there is almost no chance we'll know that for sure within the next year.

Spot on can’t trade Georgiev. This is going to be very uncomfortable next year and I really don’t know what they’re going to do. They won’t go with 3 goalies though. That’s not happening. They will either trade Georgiev (worst idea), Shesterkin will go to Russia for a year. (Very possible) or they’ll have a break up with hank. How ugly that would be? we don’t know. Be great if he just retired. 38 in March I mean it’s time man

Reactions: Leetch3

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
that never happens. It hurts all 3 goalies.

short term you could make it work...the guy that would lose starts would be hank (who at his age plays too much anyway)...so the only one hurt might be hank's ego but I'd like to hope he understands the situation. doing it for a full year would be tougher

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Spot on can’t trade Georgiev. This is going to be very uncomfortable next year and I really don’t know what they’re going to do. They won’t go with 3 goalies though. That’s not happening. They will either trade Georgiev (worst idea), Shesterkin will go to Russia for a year. (Very possible) or they’ll have a break up with hank. How ugly that would be? we don’t know. Be great if he just retired. 38 in March I mean it’s time man

sending igor back to russia doesn't really help though cause you still won't know what you have with him in the nhl...

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
sending igor back to russia doesn't really help though cause you still won't know what you have with him in the nhl...

won’t be our choice. He’s not going to stay in the A next year if he doesn’t have to. But he has a 2nd year escape clause built in. If need be we can loan him back to SKA until hanks contract expires.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I doubt they’d send him down at this point. But I could see a scenario where Lundqvist’s share of the starts are split between him and Shesterkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad