Player Discussion Alexandar Georgiev

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Steve Valiquette in post game last night said the price for Georgie went up for the rest of the NHL. The other 2 commentators looked uncomfortable as he said it.It would be hard to turn down a 1st.

If Gorton receives an offer of a 1st for Georgiev in this next draft he will take it and run.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Shesterkin isn't going to sit in the AHL all of next year. Not with the performance he's putting on down there. And they can't/won't get rid of Lundqvist. Georgiev has been solid, but he's the odd man out unless they would actually consider carrying 3 goalies. I like him, but the Rangers would be wise to sell high if someone is after him.

Reactions: haveandare

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Shesterkin isn't going to sit in the AHL all of next year. Not with the performance he's putting on down there. And they can't/won't get rid of Lundqvist. Georgiev has been solid, but he's the odd man out unless they would actually consider carrying 3 goalies. I like him, but the Rangers would be wise to sell high if someone is after him.

If the trade Georgiev, it'll be because they want to, and not because they'll be forced to in order to accommodate just one year of Hank (that would be terrible asset management). If they have to, they'll go with 3 goalies.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
If the trade Georgiev, it'll be because they want to, and not because they'll be forced to in order to accommodate just one year of Hank (that would be terrible asset management). If they have to, they'll go with 3 goalies.

Agree completely about not trading Georgiev just to accommodate a year of Hank.

This is a good visualization of why we cannot trade Georgiev until we see what we have in Shesterkin in the NHL level.

bJNpTLF.png

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Agree completely about not trading Georgiev just to accommodate a year of Hank.

This is a good visualization of why we cannot trade Georgiev until we see what we have in Shesterkin in the NHL level.

bJNpTLF.png

Even when Hank is less good he is still better than that f***ing hack Price.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Georgiev is the Rangers #1 goaltender. Look at the numbers. The Rangers said Lundqvist didn't play last week because he was "ill". The Rangers twitter people started speculating Georgiev is being "showcased". It turns out Lundqvist had a back issue. The Rangers weren't transparent about the injury which is par for the course in the NHL.

The Blueshirts veteran netminder had not played in eight days, and had only two starts since Thanksgiving. But after dealing with a minor back issue over the past week while understudy Alex Georgiev had been outstanding, Lundqvist returned to make 23 saves in a 3-1 loss to the Kings here on Tuesday night.

“I felt OK,” Lundqvist said. “As the game went on, second and third, felt better and better. But we also played really well. We played a team that unfortunately got the lead then shut it down a little bit. A different type of game.”

https://nypost.com/2019/12/11/henrik-lundqvist-struggles-with-rangers-playing-time-in-jeopardy/

Georgiev has two shutouts this season. He has four shutouts in the last two seasons. Lundqvist has not had a shutout since 17-18.

The Rangers are usually great in November.

Rangers November 17-18 record 9-3-1
Rangers November 18-19 record 9-4-1
Rangers November 19-20 record 9-4-2

The Rangers tend to drop in the standings when December begins. The Rangers were a wildcard team at Thanksgiving 2018. The Rangers are 2-3 this month. Georgiev was fantastic against Columbus and Vegas. The Rangers don't win those games.

Georgiev > Lundqvist

Hank will be 38 in March. His back is bothering him now. He can still have an excellent start or string together two really good back to back starts. His best days are behind him. So many starts with a save % below 90%. Unless the Rangers get an offer too good to turn down, the Rangers should not trade Georgiev because Lundqvist has one more season on his contract and Shesterkin needs to play. The goaltending market is weird.

Lundqvist is a great guy. He does a lot of charity work with The Garden Of Dreams foundation. The Rangers need to move on from Hank. It will be painful. He only has one more season on his contract. Trade. Buyout. Retirement.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It makes far too much sense to just buy Hank out at the end of this year if he doesn't retire.

It makes sense from a cap and business perspective, but I cringe at the optics of it. People would be rehashing that for years and years just like the Leetch trade. It's one thing to buy out a guy like Girardi who had been a warrior and long-time Ranger, but certainly won't see his name mentioned amongst the all time Ranger greats. Buying out Hank is a totally different level.

Really hope he retires a la Datsyuk or asks for a trade.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So everyones flipping cause Shesty is rockiing the AHL? This is a great problem to have as long as he doesnt bold for Russia lol
Didnt work well for Kravstsov so he just needs to pull a Sampsonov and wait for his time. Its soon.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
It makes sense from a cap and business perspective, but I cringe at the optics of it. People would be rehashing that for years and years just like the Leetch trade. It's one thing to buy out a guy like Girardi who had been a warrior and long-time Ranger, but certainly won't see his name mentioned amongst the all time Ranger greats. Buying out Hank is a totally different level.

Really hope he retires a la Datsyuk or asks for a trade.

Retirement probably ideal. Then hire him in some other capacity a few months later like with the Panthers and Luongo.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019

Why can't it be both?

A 3 goalie system is bad for all involved, and bad asset management on the Rangers' part. I really don't see them going that route, at least for an extended period of time. It could potentially happen towards the end of this season if the Rangers are out of it and Georgiev is still here. I don't see them going into next year with 3 goalies as a legitimate plan.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Is anyone worried that Shesterkin can wait that long?
I'm personally not particularly worried about him waiting this season. I really don't think he'll wait an entire season beyond this though, and I'd be doubtful he'd even go back to Hartford to start next season at all if he has any way to avoid it.

Reactions: bbny

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I wouldn't be concerned about this season, especially if they feed him some NHL games, and then send him back down for the AHL playoffs. But I don't think that patience would extend into next season.

That's why I keep coming back to the belief that Georgiev is probably packaged this off-season. Potentially sooner if the right deal came along. But the key part of that statement is "right deal."

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
A three-goalie rotation would just be painful for all involved parties. I don't remember any three-goalie system since the 80s.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon

He'll win the Calder Cup (BAABAAAY!!), so no.

Yes, I'm worried he can't wait that long. BUT he won't ask for a trade or anything.
I think he knows where he's at. He saw Lundqvist and it sounded like Charly Murphy meeting Rick James the first time. "That aura. I've seen it man."

He would wait, but I fear it would hurt him development-wise. He needs to get NHL games ASAP actually.

Reactions: will1066

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I actually don't really have a problem with him getting a lot of games in the AHL, a taste of games in the NHL, and then going back down for the playoffs.

I think that could be a good balance, and offer some insight for the Rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad