Player Discussion Alexandar Georgiev

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I am 6'3", and I certainly do not feel like I am taller than 91% of the population.
Actually at 6'3", it's more like 98%.

I generally have about 30-35 male students per semester and I can count on one hand the ones that are my height or taller, so I don't know.

I guess you just never noticed it? :dunno:

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Actually at 6'3", it's more like 98%.

I generally have about 30-35 male students per semester and I can count on one hand the ones that are my height or taller, so I don't know.

I guess you just never noticed it? :dunno:

Most of the people (males) I associate with, not including the people at work, are all about the same height. Most of the guys I've coached youth soccer with are all around the same height as me.

I'd even say the high school athletes I am around are all over 6'0" and most are at least 6'3".

My 11 year old daughter is 5'6", and she IS head and shoulders over everyone in 4th and 5th grade at school. A few 12 year olds she plays soccer with are around her height.

My wife is 5'1". Go figure.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Almost never.

I do watch a bit of college basketball and volunteer with high school...
Seriously though, I think it's because when you see someone taller than you, it's more notable than when you see someone shorter than you. You'll remember it more, so your gut feeling about the height of the population compared to you will be disproportionately high.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Seriously though, I think it's because when you see someone taller than you, it's more notable than when you see someone shorter than you. You'll remember it more, so your gut feeling about the height of the population compared to you will be disproportionately high.
Could be, though as someone who is 5'7", when I see other men that are shorter than me (particularly significantly shorter than me) it's just as jarring as seeing someone 6'4" or whatever. It's probably all relative, to some degree.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I hope they're smart with how they navigate this situation so that they put themselves in a position where they can utilize both of them. Imagine rolling a goalie tandem of Georgie and Shesty in a couple of years?

That's what I'm thinking. If the Rangers do decide to move him they better get at least a 1st rounder for him and not a tail end of the first round. There's no reason to think he's not going to be a really good starting goalie. But I'd be happy to have him and Shesterkin sharing the Rangers goaltending duties if not this year then next year. Henrik's a HOF'er but they're the future.

Reactions: egelband

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
That's what I'm thinking. If the Rangers do decide to move him they better get at least a 1st rounder for him and not a tail end of the first round. There's no reason to think he's not going to be a really good starting goalie. But I'd be happy to have him and Shesterkin sharing the Rangers goaltending duties if not this year then next year. Henrik's a HOF'er but they're the future.
Exactly, and as long as they can transition this in a way that's respectful to Hank, I don't think there will be any problems.

Georgiev is up for a new contract this summer, and I hope they reward him with a long-term deal at a reasonable AAV. I think getting him in the 4 year, $2M range would be a fair deal for both parties based on what goalies have been getting recently. The only issue is it doesn't line up with Shesty's ELC, so they're missing out on a really strong tandem at a really low cost.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
seems weird to have his much NHL ready, or nearly ready, talent. good problem to have. somethings gotta give. we just have to make a decision.

ADA and fox.

georgie and shesty.

chad and howden

staal and
_1___1.jpg

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
There's only one stipulation I would insist on for in his new contract.

His name must be pronounced Jorjiev.

Gheeorghee-ev drives me crazy every time I hear it.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Could be, though as someone who is 5'7", when I see other men that are shorter than me (particularly significantly shorter than me) it's just as jarring as seeing someone 6'4" or whatever. It's probably all relative, to some degree.

I'm 5'4 and have given up finding anyone not Asian, Hispanic, or female that is shorter than me.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah if he continues playing the way he has played basically since being promoted to the NHL, it's hard to justify trading him. I know Shesterkin is a great prospect, but still. Georgiev looks phenomenal and he's doing it in the NHL. It's not like with Talbot where we had to move him because Lundqvist had many years left ahead of him.

I'm a huge Lundqvist fan but Georgiev needs the majority of the remaining starts. Maybe Hank will feel compelled to retire. I know he has a lot of money on the table, but who knows. He's owed $5.5M for next year; maybe he can go back to Sweden and make up $2M of that or so. Hank strikes me as the type to realize his time has passed and not stand in the way of progress.

They show Hank on the bench during Georgiev's starts and his look is almost like, "I know."

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The rangers should keep hank, Georgie, Igor...all of them.

having all of these options isn’t a problem we have to fix.
It will require some finesse, as @Mac n Gs also said above. I hope Shesterkin (and Georgiev, to a lesser extent since he’s already getting prime time exposure) is cool with waiting out “The Henrik Situation”.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
So no one thinks Hank may waive at the deadline ?

Perfect world is Georgie, Shestyorkin w Huska in the A for next year

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The rangers should keep hank, Georgie, Igor...all of them.

having all of these options isn’t a problem we have to fix.
Eventually Shesterkin will really need NHL starts. And with Georgiev playing like he has, the proposed "solution" of sending him down for periods so Shesterkin can come up becomes unjustifiable. So then it becomes problematic.

I mean Georgiev is making a case for being the #1 now and moving forward, regardless of Shesterkin's past successes.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Just going to put this out there now: if these things remain unchanged, no one should be shocked if the Rangers go with a three man rotation after the holidays.

Reactions: Leetch3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->