Player Discussion Alexandar Georgiev

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Well, it’s being discussed. Especially if Shesterkin keeps performing close to where he’s at now and Lundqvist keeps sitting where he’s at.

unless hank is injured they aren’t going to carry a third goalie. It’s not a thing. Hurts everyone in the process. They want to give Shesterkin a spot start here and there maybe. But they aren’t going to practice and carry a third goalie on the roster this year or next year. Does not happen at this level. None of those guys is going to spend a third of their time and paycheck in the AHL next year and we aren’t going to carry 3 with the cap so tight. Not to mention the other reasons.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
unless hank is injured they aren’t going to carry a third goalie. It’s not a thing. Hurts everyone in the process. They want to give Shesterkin a spot start here and there maybe. But they aren’t going to practice and carry a third goalie on the roster this year or next year. Does not happen at this level. None of those guys is going to spend a third of their time and paycheck in the AHL next year and we aren’t going to carry 3 with the cap so tight. Not to mention the other reasons.

It would certainly be unique, I’ll give you that.

Though admittedly, this is a fairly unique scenario as well.

Cap isn’t an issue at this point though. So whether they go forward with this idea or not, it likely won’t be a monetary decision.

Last edited:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’m not overly concerned about this year. Shesterkin knew this year would be in Hartford. With potential for call up due to injury. I don’t think that changes just because he’s playing well. If he is who we hoped he’d be he should play well.

it’s next year and the cap will be tight and we will not carry 3 goalies on it. It has never worked any team that does it pisses off their goalies and it becomes a distraction. There are only 2 nets at practice it’s a big no no.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
A 33 save shutout brings Georgiev up to 9th in xG based GSAA/60 among goalies with 500+ minutes. Hank shadows him in 12th.
upload_2019-12-1_0-35-45.png

Overall we have gotten the 3rd best goaltending in the league so far according to xG, indicating our goalies are bailing out the awful defensive play of our skaters.
upload_2019-12-1_0-40-28.png

*These numbers seem to include empty net situations, but I didn't feel like adjusting them out.

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-1_0-39-7.png
    upload_2019-12-1_0-39-7.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 1

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
If Georgiev maintains this level of play, I have a hard time seeing him being sent down, even if only for a couple games.
He could get traded for a very high draft pick to a team who needs him. Ultimately, I do think the Rangers will trade one of the two who are elligible this year.

Rotating three goalies is a waste of assets. I'd love to be able to keep both Georgiev and Shesterkin, but I do think the best option for the team from an asset management perspective is to trade one of them this year while the value for them is high. Shesterkin has unlimited upside and Georgiev is a proper starting NHL goaltender. Either one of them should be able to bring back a solid defensement or productive center in a trade. Or maybe a high first round pick. Waiting until next year only stunts Shesterkin's exposure to NHL games.

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He could get traded for a very high draft pick to a team who needs him. Ultimately, I do think the Rangers will trade one of the two who are elligible this year.
Not today, he can't.
Rotating three goalies is a waste of assets. I'd love to be able to keep both Georgiev and Shesterkin, but I do think the best option for the team from an asset management perspective is to trade one of them this year while the value for them is high. Shesterkin has unlimited upside and Georgiev is a proper starting NHL goaltender.
It may seem like a waste of time, but if Shesterkinis forcing the issue, then he is forcing the issue. Trading Georgiev to day or even several months from now, will not really net anything.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
After next season, Lundqvist's contract ends. I think they can get away with rotating 3 goalies for one year.
I think that is what they will do. They literally "have to". It behooves the franchise getting Shesty in there WHILE we have Hank for his last year. If Hank doesn't "like it" in which we all KNOW he won't, well then......that is what he signed up for. He wanted to see his contract through. I know it sucks and kind of NOT doing the right thing by Hank......but he IS getting paid......whether he plays or not. If he has a huge problem with what is BEST for the Rangers, well then.......he is a hypocrite. Shesty has GOT TO get playing time next year or maybe even this year if Hank or Georgie go down for a bit.

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
This insane shutout on 4.26 xGA brings Georgiev up to the clear leader among all goalies in xG based GSAA/60 and just behind Hellebuyck for cumulative GSAA despite playing half the minutes.

His past four starts has had him allow 4 GA on 14.25 xGA for a net +10.25 GSAA. For reference, the GSAA leader Hellebuyck has +10.69 on the whole season.

In addition, no goalie has had a tougher workload than Geo so far, facing an insane 3.39 xGA/game. Hank is 2nd with 3.3 and Lehner 3rd with 2.95.

unknown.png

upload_2019-12-9_3-57-11.png

Whoot Whoot

Biased Rangers Fan
Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles
We ain't winning the cup in the next two years - I prefer the Rangers treat Hank with respect and decide at the end of next year.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I'd definitely want to see a good amount of Igor before handing off Georgiev. While the former has the highest upside who knows how he'll handle the NHL. Georgiev has already shown that he doesn't get rattled very easily and can handle tough assignments on a consistent basis. That's not something that's easy to find

Reactions: ohbaby

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Steve Valiquette in post game last night said the price for Georgie went up for the rest of the NHL. The other 2 commentators looked uncomfortable as he said it.It would be hard to turn down a 1st.

DutchNYR

May 6, 2018
Steve Valiquette in post game last night said the price for Georgie went up for the rest of the NHL. The other 2 commentators looked uncomfortable as he said it.It would be hard to turn down a 1st.

Don't know if we shouldn't turn that down. I'd rather have a great player than have a chance at drafting a great player.

Reactions: ohbaby

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

If a NHL team wants him mid-season I want a good young NHL player in return. Preferably one with some term left on a reasonable deal. The risk of giving up the wrong goalie is just too great to gamble on a lottery ticket.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
How does Georgy compare the Cambot? Is he significantly better?

With Hank dropping out soon, I wouldn't want to trade Georgiev too ... it would have to be a King's ransom for the Prince.

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
How does Georgy compare the Cambot? Is he significantly better?

With Hank dropping out soon, I wouldn't want to trade Georgiev too ... it would have to be a King's ransom for the Prince.
Just looking at xG performance, Cambot was better overall but Geo's current season is slightly better than Cam's best season (2013-14).

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Assuming we had a magic machine that could both Talbot and Geo in the same environment, I think I'd put my money on Geo.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Interestingly enough, I did a quick search, and Geo has now played the same exact number of games as Talbot.

Here's how they compare (Tablot on top and Geo on bottom):
Season GP GS W L OT GS SA SV PCT. GAA SO MINS
2 yrs NYRNHL57533315511015981488.9312.0083306
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
3 yrs NYR NHL57522622615218481696.9182.8943153
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
Interestingly enough, I did a quick search, and Geo has now played the same exact number of games as Talbot.

Here's how they compare (Tablot on top and Geo on bottom):
Season GP GS W L OT GS SA SV PCT. GAA SO MINS
2 yrsNYRNHL57533315511015981488.9312.0083306
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
3 yrs NYR NHL57522622615218481696.9182.8943153
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

One thing to keep in mind though is that Georgiev is nearly 5 years younger than Talbot at this point of their careers. Goalies tend to take a while to develop so its pretty remarkable that Georgiev is doing what he is doing at his age. Most of the other goalies that broke into the league as young as he did are elite prospects like Carter Hart and Ilya Samsonov.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
One thing to keep in mind though is that Georgiev is nearly 5 years younger than Talbot at this point of their careers. Goalies tend to take a while to develop so its pretty remarkable that Georgiev is doing what he is doing at his age. Most of the other goalies that broke into the league as young as he did are elite prospects like Carter Hart and Ilya Samsonov.

And you have to factor in the team in front of Georgiev.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad