Player Discussion Alexandar Georgiev

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
George as a young, cheap, start eating goalie who can be pretty solid >>>>>> whatever made up future considerations draft pick a team will give us for him in a trade.
Yeah, but the point is you can only have 2 goalies in the NHL. If Shestyorkin comes over and is NHL level out of the gate, someone has to go.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I understand your point, it's more difficult. And mine is that being undersized at the position doesn't preclude you from being at least a very good goalie, if not a great one. And the difference between 6'1" and 6'2" can literally be how the team chooses to list you. If you lined up a bunch of 6'0" hockey players and a bunch of 6'1" hockey players, I bet half of the guys in the 6'1" line would be the same size or shorter than the guys in the 6'0" line. So maybe Georgiev and Shesterkin are actually shorter? Maybe their size is correct but, say, Holtby and Bobrovsky are 6'1"? Who really knows.

I guess my secondary but more important point is that it seems silly to worry about size when we don't actually know their size or have any idea if it's an issue for them. Any struggles I've seen from Georgiev, I wouldn't chalk up to his size.

The size of other goalies has nothing to do with Georgiev, Shesterkin, or any other goalie in the league. This isn't like with skaters, where you worry about small ones getting outmuscled too much.

The Predators heir-apparent to Rinne, who has already played 27 games this year, is 5'11"... there's no worry about size among goalies if the athleticism is there.

Reactions: haveandare

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I would not be shocked if a team was interested in acquiring Georgiev over the summer. Of course this would be dependant on Shesterkin and his success/the FO's plans for him this coming year.

Reactions: CasusBelli

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Examples of less flexibility? You mean style? Or using the splits more often like Hank tends to? I think that's more style related but I could be wrong.

It certainly has something to do with style, but I mean flexibility in the sense of being comfortable in the splits and specially doing a full on split. Goalies that can, use it. Like Quick, another slinky or Richter on Bure.

Also, no backup goalie is yielding anything worth trading, no matter how young. Cambot had a decent return but he took the reigns that season for a while when Hank went down and the team didn't miss a beat, and that's what sold teams on him.

Cambot and Ranta were our backups but rated as starters, we developed them into that. We did it twice, we'll do it again.

Reactions: Rongomania

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The size of other goalies has nothing to do with Georgiev, Shesterkin, or any other goalie in the league. This isn't like with skaters, where you worry about small ones getting outmuscled too much.

The Predators heir-apparent to Rinne, who has already played 27 games this year, is 5'11"... there's no worry about size among goalies if the athleticism is there.

If Saros is the heir apparent they’re in trouble because he’s ok at best mainly due to his size. When you can find me a stud under 6’2 let me know hasn’t been one not named hank or Quick in years.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If Saros is the heir apparent they’re in trouble because he’s ok at best mainly due to his size. When you can find me a stud under 6’2 let me know hasn’t been one not named hank or Quick in years.

Again, the size of other goalies has nothing to do with the size of Saros or any other goalie coming into the league.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Okay so for some reason we'll set aside Lundqvist and Quick. Aside from the aforementioned Halak, Khudobin, Saros, Hutton, Howard, and Allen, we could have: Belfour was 5'11". Giguere was 6'1". Vokoun was 6'1". Nabokov was 6'0". Tim Thomas was 5'11". Theodore was 5'11". Beezer was 5'8"! CuJo was 5'11". Richter was 5'11". Andy Moog was 5'9". Vernon was 5'9". Osgood was 5'10". Hebert was 5'11". And you can go on and on. Some places list Patrick Roy as 6'0" and not 6'2"--which was an earlier point I made about listed heights being nonsense in many cases.

There are some all-time greats in there, and there rest of the guys comprise some of the best goalies of the past 30 years. There's obviously a trend towards larger goalies, which makes plenty of sense. There's also been a trend towards larger, stronger players in general, and yet there's a subtrend towards smaller, skillful players as well. So, I really don't see the issue here. Neither guy--Georgiev nor Shesterkin--fits the "ideal" mold of a 2010's goaltender, but there's ample evidence from both the current era and decades past that small goalies can have great success in the league.

The KHL is the second-best league in the world and Shesterkin's "lack" or height hasn't appeared problematic there. I haven't seen anything in the NHL with Georgiev that made me say, "Damn, if only he were [listed] an inch taller!" And IDK what you're even talking about with Saros being "ok at best because of his size." Do you have a documented list of instances where his size has prevented him from making saves?

I'm not going through this anymore because it's all garbage.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
For any futbol fans, remember Jorge Campos? 5'6" but the guy was athletic as shit, and one of the best goalkeepers of his generation. In a truly worldwide sport.

Reactions: yzerman

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Mike Richter was 5'11" standing on a phone book.

Not saying smaller goalies can't succeed today but I think smaller goalies could be more successful back in the day. Stick technology and skill level has really progressed to where everyone can raise the puck top shelf. Systems and puck movement make the goalies move more today vs just iso'ing on a shooter.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
My only fear or hesitation with smaller goalies is that it is often more tiring to play the goalie position at a smaller size. Hank gets away with it because he plays so deep his movements are more confined. But a normal smaller goalie will most likely be more fatigued over the course of a season. So for me, either guy should be limited to 55 games on average

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The Leafs must really hate The Russian Interference. Almost 100 saves in 2 games.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Not saying smaller goalies can't succeed today but I think smaller goalies could be more successful back in the day. Stick technology and skill level has really progressed to where everyone can raise the puck top shelf. Systems and puck movement make the goalies move more today vs just iso'ing on a shooter.

Just to play Devils advocate... Couldn't you also say that equipment is a lot larger than it was in Richters heyday for example? Maybe a smaller athletic goalie has more of an equalizer nowadays?

Maybe there is an issue with your borderline goalies being impacted, but you can't tell me Richter, Beezer, Cujo, Belfour, Vernon etc... wouldnt be able to play today bc they aren't tall enough. Hasn't even been that long since Tim Thomas stood on his head to win a cup.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Mike Richter was 5'11" standing on a phone book.

I used to love working on the media guides. Richter varied from 5'10 to 5'11.

Brian Leetch went from 5'11 to 6'1 in a span of several seasons...in his late 20s. I believe he then shrunk to 6'0 again, but never returned to 5'11.

Mark Messier hit 6'2 in his late 30s.

Saw the same with other teams --- Jeremy Roenick somehow grew to 6'1 long after his growing days were over. For many years, 6'0 was the magic number that teams would try to help their players reach.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I used to love working on the media guides. Richter varied from 5'10 to 5'11.

Brian Leetch went from 5'11 to 6'1 in a span of several seasons...in his late 20s. I believe he then shrunk to 6'0 again, but never returned to 5'11.

Mark Messier hit 6'2 in his late 30s.

Saw the same with other teams --- Jeremy Roenick somehow grew to 6'1 long after his growing days were over. For many years, 6'0 was the magic number that teams would try to help their players reach.
At 6'1", I've read that I'm taller than 91% of the population.

In the NHL, I would go from the 91st percentile to about the 33rd percentile.

I find that hard to believe.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So my post was deleted because "I can't copy-paste full articles". Yeah, I was just translating but whatever.

Георгиев: с молодежкой брал серебро, в главной сборной хочу выиграть золото

Everyone can sort it out themselves now. Bye
Thanks for sharing this.

For translation, people should try Google Chrome since it will use Google Translate to automatically translate pages without redirecting or anything. I'm sure there are plugins for Firefox or whatever, but I stick with Chrome even though it's a resource-hog. I read lots of foreign language articles for hockey purposes and it's a godsend.

Anyway, back to the interview, Georgiev seems like a really solid kid. Reasonable expectations for himself, not put off by competition with anyone, enjoys the city, and so forth. Just seems very grounded, and like he's really enjoying his time. Not super concerned with how many starts he gets.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Thanks for sharing this.

For translation, people should try Google Chrome since it will use Google Translate to automatically translate pages without redirecting or anything. I'm sure there are plugins for Firefox or whatever, but I stick with Chrome even though it's a resource-hog. I read lots of foreign language articles for hockey purposes and it's a godsend.

Anyway, back to the interview, Georgiev seems like a really solid kid. Reasonable expectations for himself, not put off by competition with anyone, enjoys the city, and so forth. Just seems very grounded, and like he's really enjoying his time. Not super concerned with how many starts he gets.

The Chrome translation is very confusing though. That's why I decided to put some effort in and translate the most interesting points of the interview

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The Chrome translation is very confusing though. That's why I decided to put some effort in and translate the most interesting points of the interview
Yeah, it's not perfect. It's not always great with Russian, some nuance is lost, but I think it gets the general point across. Swedish is seems to do well with. Finnish, it's usually okay, but every once in a while things are a mess. Czech and Slovak seem to be good, usually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad