Confirmed with Link: Alex Tanguay new Assistant Coach

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I can't see how he could possibly be worse than Disco. It's better than what CBJ did by promoting their version of Disco to head coach.

Even if it's only an incremental improvement, it's still a win. The team is moving in the right direction (I hope). Regardless, I got what I asked for so I have no complaints.

Whatever.
It's the consensus around here to think Dan Bylsma is the problem.
Bylsma actually won a Stanley Cup in this league. As a head coach.
And if you look at his Buffalo days and compare them to other Sabre coaches, it's starting to look like he was far from the problem, there, too.

I'd take Bylsma over Blashill every day of the week.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
How do they go about filling these vacant coaching positions, ask former players if there's anyone they are still in contact with from their playing days who have dabbled in coaching?

I'm not a huge Babcock fan, but I give him credit for searching the coaching pools of various leagues for experienced guys who have shown success at running a team over years. Drury seems like he was hired based on name recognition and his desire to get a foot in the door at this level.

Oh well, worst case is he sucks for a year, helps us tank then gets a foote to the ass and sent on his way.

Last edited:

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
New power play hype song:

sabotage.jpg
Looks like a hell of a show. I keep seeing the commahshuls for it but I can't figure out what time it's on.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Whatever.
And if you look at his Buffalo days and compare them to other Sabre coaches, it's starting to look like he was far from the problem, there, too.

Yeah, has nothing to do with the roster, lol. Bylsma wasn't THE problem, he was A problem. This team obviously has other issues.

I'm not a fan of either Blash or Bylsma, I'll take my chances with Tanguay though.

Amazing that you stat watch coaching too when you know what the 2009 Pens roster looked like.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I am cool with this. I hated Tanguay because he was an Av but I had a grudging respect for his talent. I don't know anything about him as a coach but I suspect Yzerman has taken his time to find the right guy. The fact he hired a former Av makes me believe he has to be good, otherwise why would Yzerman hire a freaking Av?

Best thing is that Tanguay is totally an outsider.
There's no Detroit connection, no Tampa connection, no Blashill connection or Team Canada connection.

He is totally fresh brains for the coaching staff.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Best thing is that Tanguay is totally an outsider.
There's no Detroit connection, no Tampa connection, no Blashill connection or Team Canada connection.

He is totally fresh brains for the coaching staff.

Exactly this. Sometimes an organization needs fresh eyes from outside rather than promoting from within. An outside perspective on what is ailing the team's strategies is very welcome right now, and I'm glad we're getting a fresh new hire instead of someone that's been bouncing around the league for 20 years as an assistant or head coach.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Why would Stevie hire a good that's not good, regardless of which team he played for?

Hockey players are a strange breed anyways, their loyalty is always with the team they're on. Look at all of the enforcers, and how often they changed teams. The Caps signed Lundqvist and Chara last offseason.

We hired a GM from Tampa, a team that eliminated us from the playoffs and kicks our asses almost every season, should we be mad?
Yeah, wasn't being serious about the rivalry. I stand by my comment that I am optimistic that Tanguay will be a good hire.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Just like in all religions, legends and traditions matter. There is a reason behind the fact that no trade had ever occured with the Avs until the Nemeth deal.
There wasn't a trade before Nemeth because there wasn't a trade to be made. I'm more pissed off at the Pens than the Avs, Holland had no issues dealing Sheahan to them. If you've got a chance to fleece your enemy, you take the opportunity every time.

The Wings haven't made a trade with Toronto, Boston, Minnesota, Islanders or Jets in over 2 decades. Sometimes the deal just isn't there. I wouldn't look too much past that, especially considering Sakic is well respected as a player and GM. The guy is almost on par with Yzerman as far as that goes.

The rivalry died when the Wings changed conferences. Teams generally don't trade within their division, but that's happened a lot lately too. As bad as this team is, I don't think Stevie has a "do not trade with" list. His phone line is open to every team willing to overpay, lol.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
There wasn't a trade before Nemeth because there wasn't a trade to be made. I'm more pissed off at the Pens than the Avs, Holland had no issues dealing Sheahan to them. If you've got a chance to fleece your enemy, you take the opportunity every time.

The Wings haven't made a trade with Toronto, Boston, Minnesota, Islanders or Jets in over 2 decades. Sometimes the deal just isn't there. I wouldn't look too much past that, especially considering Sakic is well respected as a player and GM. The guy is almost on par with Yzerman as far as that goes.

The rivalry died when the Wings changed conferences. Teams generally don't trade within their division, but that's happened a lot lately too. As bad as this team is, I don't think Stevie has a "do not trade with" list. His phone line is open to every team willing to overpay, lol.

Kyle Quincey. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Gniwder

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I like this hire. I always liked Tanguay.

I skated with him a couple of times way back in the day. He struck me as a really nice, unpretentious guy. I have no idea if he can actually coach (plenty of good players can't), but like TZE, I too liked his work as an analyst. Like I said, he can't be worse than Disco.

Reactions: lilidk

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I skated with him a couple of times way back in the day. He struck me as a really nice, unpretentious guy. I have no idea if he can actually coach (plenty of good players can't), but like TZE, I too liked his work as an analyst. Like I said, he can't be worse than Disco.
We set the bar low in Detroit....

Centers: Can't be worse than Nielsen or Ehn
Defesemen: Can't be worse than Bowey, Ericsson, Daley
Assistant Coach: Can't be worse than Disco

Next head coach: Can't be worse than Blash

LOL.

Reactions: 14ari13

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Whatever.

Yikes.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Sounded well that Tanguay is gonna add some "player-thinking" aspects in our game. It was nice to hear how Blashill thought that when you become coach and coach for years, you became "too coach". Tanguay is gonna bring these new ideas in, more from players view.

I'm very happy what they talked about this signing.

Reactions: 14ari13

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
- like henkka said ' an outsider ' makes me very happy as opposed to another 'super friend' ex wing
- this signing also got me thinking since ive always been super un-impressed by blysma that blash
displayed some real dumbness when he hired him . and im now thinking 19 hired tangtotallyguay with
the idea that in 2 years he could be the new top gun

Reactions: Henkka

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Just seeing this hahahaha WUT!!!! Anyway welcome aboard Tanguy was a very respected player and if he can bring that success to the bench I am all for it.

Let's bring Chris Drury aboard too Mr. clutch!

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Yikes?
Blashill
One playoff win vs 4 losses

Bylsma
--

43 playoff wins vs 35 playoff losses
1 Stanley Cup
1 Jack Adams Award

And while Bylsma was not successful in Buffalo
Here's the Sabres record before, during and after Byslma.

13-14 .317 Nolan
14-15 .329 Nolan
15-16 .494 Bylsma
16-17 .476 Bylsma
17-18 .378 Housley
18-19 .463 Housley
19-20 .493 Krueger
20-21 .330 Krueger

Out of the last 8 years, Bylsma had the best season and the third best season.
Of the 4 coaches, three of them had at least one train-wreck season. Bylsma did not.

And none of these incompetents had a trainwreck season like Blashill's.
Out of the two-year coaches, Bylsma, by far had the best record.

Yikes? LOL.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yikes?
Blashill
One playoff win vs 4 losses

Bylsma
--

43 playoff wins vs 35 playoff losses
1 Stanley Cup
1 Jack Adams Award

And while Bylsma was not successful in Buffalo
Here's the Sabres record before, during and after Byslma.

13-14 .317 Nolan
14-15 .329 Nolan
15-16 .494 Bylsma
16-17 .476 Bylsma
17-18 .378 Housley
18-19 .463 Housley
19-20 .493 Krueger
20-21 .330 Krueger

Out of the last 8 years, Bylsma had the best season and the third best season.
Of the 4 coaches, three of them had at least one train-wreck season. Bylsma did not.

And none of these incompetents had a trainwreck season like Blashill's.
Out of the two-year coaches, Bylsma, by far had the best record.

Yikes? LOL.

This post typifies you so perfectly. Try to use some statistical analysis of a few things that ignores all context and pretend that it's the absolute truth.

Yeah, Bylsma's career is "better" if you ignore the quality of players on the teams, the age of the key players in the organizations, the general direction of the organizations, the actions and efforts of the management staffs.

I don't plan on getting too far into this discussion because I know where it ends up, but I will leave you with this.

Jeff Blashill is a better coach than his overall record suggests.
Dan Bylsma is a worse coach than his overall record suggests.

There is a reason why Dan worked for Jeff. Edit: and why Dan "decided to pursue other opportunities"

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
This post typifies you so perfectly. Try to use some statistical analysis of a few things that ignores all context and pretend that it's the absolute truth.

Yeah, Bylsma's career is "better" if you ignore the quality of players on the teams, the age of the key players in the organizations, the general direction of the organizations, the actions and efforts of the management staffs.

I don't plan on getting too far into this discussion because I know where it ends up, but I will leave you with this.

Jeff Blashill is a better coach than his overall record suggests.
Dan Bylsma is a worse coach than his overall record suggests.

There is a reason why Dan worked for Jeff. Edit: and why Dan "decided to pursue other opportunities"

Bylsma is worse than his Pittsburgh record suggests.
But he's clearly been the best coach Buffalo has had out of the four they had.

And Blashill is a f***ing bum.
Dress up the pig however you want, but his season two years ago was a f***ing disaster.
Lots of bad coaches coach bad teams without having season-long meltdowns like that.
Bylsma is better than Blashill.
Period.

Yzerman is comfortable with Blashill's losing. So he stays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad