Confirmed with Link: Alex Tanguay new Assistant Coach

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He doesn't have any coaching experience isn't he?. He was highly skilled pass first with very high shooting percentage. I was expecting someone who replaces Blashill. Tanguey is nice an quiet guy, I don't expect him replace Blashill, I don't like this move
2 years, Des Moine Wild. TV analyst prior to that.

He doesn't need to replace Blash, he just needs to help Blash figure out the offensive end of things. I don't care if he never becomes a head coach, he just needs to be a good offensive assistant. Take control over the PP. Figure out a better scheme than "dump but don't chase".

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
He doesn't have any coaching experience isn't he?. He was highly skilled pass first with very high shooting percentage. I was expecting someone who replaces Blashill. Tanguey is nice an quiet guy, I don't expect him replace Blashill, I don't like this move

What is the downside of this move? You could tell by the way that he played that he was a great thinker of the game. Might as well give him a try and if this staff isn't making progress then Yzerman can clean house and bring in a new coach who can influence a new staff when this team is looking to seriously move up the standings.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Matches what I was looking for. An up and coming offensive-minded coach to replace Bylsma. Liked him as a player as well.

Was hoping we wouldn’t just take another guy that gets recycled around the league.

Alex Tanguay will soon be one of those guys recycled around the league.
Hope it pays some dividends. We'll see.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
What is the downside of this move? You could tell by the way that he played that he was a great thinker of the game. Might as well give him a try and if this staff isn't making progress then Yzerman can clean house and bring in a new coach who can influence a new staff when this team is looking to seriously move up the standings.
Are we going to see Bergreen and Raymond on the team from day one? Guys with similar skills

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
How the hell are you always so confident about things you have so little understanding.

I'd love a detailed explanation why Tanguay won't be a good assistant coach. Please, don't spare us of a single shred of your expertise here.

Read much?
I never said he wouldn't be a good assistant coach.

All I said is that he'll likely be a coach who circulates around the league.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Read much?

I suppose a coach that gets recycled around the league is actually an above average coach. Coaches don't get hired into an organization for life in this era.

Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Read much?

So your entire commentary is that coaches tend to not stay one spot forever. Great. Thanks for chipping that in when Frk It was happy about not hiring a retread.

"One day he'll be a retread."

Brilliant.

The fact that I read all day means I used context clues to assume you had something more substantial to say. That's on me. My bad. You didn't.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He's an ex-player who's worked up from the AHL to the NHL.
He could be a coach in the NHL, on and off, for the next 20 years.

Brind'Amour was hired as an Assistant originally and is doing well.

Even if it's just like an Adam Oates type of hire, I would take it. I thought he helped give Washington's PP a boost and worked as a PP consultant for a bunch of teams afterwards. Didn't work out as a head coach, but had some good years as an Assistant.

He was a skilled and creative player, I think he could be a good influence on Zadina and Raymond in the upcoming years. Willing to give it a try as opposed to just getting another guy like Bylsma.

Reactions: jkutswings

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
So your entire commentary is that coaches tend to not stay one spot forever. Great. Thanks for chipping that in when Frk It was happy about not hiring a retread.

"One day he'll be a retread."

Brilliant.

The fact that I read all day means I used context clues to assume you had something more substantial to say. That's on me. My bad. You didn't.

What's so f***ing great about not hiring a retread?
It's a superficial point to begin with because, chances are, Tanguay is a retread about to happen. Chances are, Tanguay is already getting the job precisely because he is a retread. (Retreading players into the coaching ranks).
It isn't like Tanguay has some great coaching record here that shows he earned it.

I don't give a f*** whether someone is a retread or newb - as long as they're a good coach with something positive to offer.

We won't know if there's anything substantial here for awhile.

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Fresh perspective, some PP/offense success/experience as coach at a lower level, creative/smart former player who may relate to today's NHL'ers better.

Nothing to lose but draft position, up or down. If he works out, we increase some of our players trade values while keeping our best players happier=$ saved on next contract, luring UFA's, resigning RFA's cheaper etc.. If he doesn't we get a better draft pick %.

Win-win.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What's so f***ing great about not hiring a retread?
It's a superficial point to begin with because, chances are, Tanguay is a retread about to happen. Chances are, Tanguay is already getting the job precisely because he is a retread.

I don't give a f*** whether someone is a retread or newb - as long as they're a good coach with something positive to offer.

We won't know if there's anything substantial here for awhile.

Who did you actually want? Or are you just here in to yell and make a scene?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Brind'Amour was hired as an Assistant originally and is doing well.

Even if it's just like an Adam Oates type of hire, I would take it. I thought he helped give Washington's PP a boost and worked as a PP consultant for a bunch of teams afterwards. Didn't work out as a head coach, but had some good years as an Assistant.

He was a skilled and creative player, I think he could be a good influence on Zadina and Raymond in the upcoming years. Willing to give it a try as opposed to just getting another guy like Bylsma.

I'm not impressed with Brind'Amour myself.
Reminds me a lot of Gallant.
Motivator. Not a systems guy.
But I think he's a better motivator than Gallant.

Let's see if Tanguay can't breathe some life into the offense and the PP. I sure hope so.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Who did you actually want? Or are you just here in to yell and make a scene?

Dude, I'm not the guy who went into attack mode. That's Benchy Bulldog.

I don't have anything against Tanguay (anymore).
I don't have any knowledge that's particularly talented.

Though I'm sure some beat writers are trying to spin the idea that he's an up-and-coming star as we type.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad