Confirmed with Link: Alex Tanguay new Assistant Coach

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Bylsma is worse than his Pittsburgh record suggests.
But he's clearly been the best coach Buffalo has had out of the four they had.

And Blashill is a f***ing bum.
Dress up the pig however you want, but his season two years ago was a f***ing disaster.
Lots of bad coaches coach bad teams without having season-long meltdowns like that.
Bylsma is better than Blashill.
Period.

Yzerman is comfortable with Blashill's losing. So he stays.
Daley, Bowey, Ericsson, Biega, Cholo, Goloubef, Hicketts, Lashoff, McIlrath, Lindstrom
That is about the worst defensive roster I've seen in 40 years as a hockey fan.

The only beef I have with Blash that season is that he started Howie 27 times. Other than that, there's really not much any coach could have done with that team.

Blash is a transition coach. He's not very good at developing offensive players though, and I'm hoping Tanguay addresses that weakness. Bylsma couldn't, because he's actually very similar to Blash.

If anything, I'm looking forward to a new PP scheme. Zone entry, more puck and player movement, higher percentage shots instead of shooting from the circle every time. If Tanguay's PP scheme reflects the way he played then we should see an improvement. You don't average 18.6 career SH% shooting from the perimeter.

I'm more excited about Tanguay than I am about Hakstol.... that's recycling the old coaching carousel. Disappointed with Francis' choice.

In any case, good luck Alex....
ac7e86fd8c6a6953b686cc0e7b9a8900.gif

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Blash is a transition coach. He's not very good at developing offensive players though, and I'm hoping Tanguay addresses that weakness. Bylsma couldn't, because he's actually very similar to Blash.

Blashill very well may prove to be a transitional coach that is just occupying the seat, but I think it’s a mistake to try to read into what he is good or poor at based on what the team has produced over the last few years.

This last year was the absolute worst possible style of hockey that you could ask for to develop offensive ability. It would be more appropriate to assess development in defensive play from the younger players because it was the thing that was evident to be the emphasis of coaching. And to be fair, a player like Zadina showed drastic growth defensively.

What I am encouraged about as you’ve alluded to is that Tanguay strikes me as a guy who will really push new offensive concepts and approach that end of the ice differently. It makes me believe that Yzerman and Blashill both acknowledge that last year was an improvement in one half of the ice, but the other half of the ice regressed.

And maybe Blashill was kept on solely as a Red Wings culture teacher. We know Yzerman is a vocal supporter of Blashill’s teaching philosophy and how he goes about the daily routine. It wouldn’t surprise me if he ends up just being a day by day example for Tanguay as he gets his feet wet behind an NHL bench and is ultimately groomed as the heir apparent. Not my ultimate bet…but I could see it.

Reactions: Gniwder

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What I am encouraged about as you’ve alluded to is that Tanguay strikes me as a guy who will really push new offensive concepts and approach that end of the ice differently. It makes me believe that Yzerman and Blashill both acknowledge that last year was an improvement in one half of the ice, but the other half of the ice regressed.

Both Yzerman and Blashill said pretty much exactly this in their end of year pressers. Both highlighted the need for generating more offense as the biggest issue for the team.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I'm excited to see what he can do because our PP was a joke. Hoping Stevie can get us at least another top 4 dman with at least some outlet passing ability. The minute Kronner retired and Green tanked we stopped being able to generate offense, and our forward group is going to generate more in transition than on the cycle. (Maybe Ray and JB can help some there too)

Reactions: 14ari13

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Yikes?
Blashill
One playoff win vs 4 losses

Bylsma
--

43 playoff wins vs 35 playoff losses
1 Stanley Cup
1 Jack Adams Award

And while Bylsma was not successful in Buffalo
Here's the Sabres record before, during and after Byslma.

13-14 .317 Nolan
14-15 .329 Nolan
15-16 .494 Bylsma
16-17 .476 Bylsma
17-18 .378 Housley
18-19 .463 Housley
19-20 .493 Krueger
20-21 .330 Krueger

Out of the last 8 years, Bylsma had the best season and the third best season.
Of the 4 coaches, three of them had at least one train-wreck season. Bylsma did not.

And none of these incompetents had a trainwreck season like Blashill's.
Out of the two-year coaches, Bylsma, by far had the best record.

Yikes? LOL.

Yikes.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Bylsma is worse than his Pittsburgh record suggests.
But he's clearly been the best coach Buffalo has had out of the four they had.

And Blashill is a f***ing bum.
Dress up the pig however you want, but his season two years ago was a f***ing disaster.
Lots of bad coaches coach bad teams without having season-long meltdowns like that.
Bylsma is better than Blashill.
Period.

Yzerman is comfortable with Blashill's losing. So he stays.

Woof.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Reading it physically hurt me
I watched a lot of those games, so I feel no pity.

If we're .500 team next season I blame it on Tanguey
Is that good or bad? Quite frankly, the Wings were .500 (pt percentage) since late Feb, and Stevie picks up a decent UFA LHD or two, that wouldn't be hard to achieve.

.500 win percentage is a playoff team (every team to finish .500 win % made the playoffs this season) so I don't see that happening. I expect a lot of OTL.

In any case, I think the chances of getting Wright is very low maybe 3 - 5%.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Bylsma's 1st season with us (18-19) we had the best PP% and ranking of Blashill's reign: 18.06% good for 19th in the league. The following year it was down to 14.88% and 29th in the league and this past season we declined further to 11.41% and 30th in the league.

Blashill's 3 seasons before that his PP coaches (Fershweiler and Torchetti) had 2017-2018: 17.52% and 24th in the league; 2016-2017: 15.08% and 28th in the league and, of course, the dismal 2015-2016 where our PP fired at 4% good for dead last in the league.

I bring these numbers up because I don't think it really matters who we hire to coach the PP. Either the collected assembly of player talent is too lacking in skill/creativity or the head coach has set parameters that prevent the PP coaches from getting more out of his PP units. Or we have just hired three shitty PP coaches in a row. My estimation is that Tanguay isn't going to cause these numbers to spike in any real way unless Blash lets him go creatively and/or the team brings in more offensively gifted talent. Sure, the numbers should go up from last season, but this hire isn't going to magically turn the PP around.

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
Bylsma's 1st season with us (18-19) we had the best PP% and ranking of Blashill's reign: 18.06% good for 19th in the league. The following year it was down to 14.88% and 29th in the league and this past season we declined further to 11.41% and 30th in the league.

Blashill's 3 seasons before that his PP coaches (Fershweiler and Torchetti) had 2017-2018: 17.52% and 24th in the league; 2016-2017: 15.08% and 28th in the league and, of course, the dismal 2015-2016 where our PP fired at 4% good for dead last in the league.

I bring these numbers up because I don't think it really matters who we hire to coach the PP. Either the collected assembly of player talent is too lacking in skill/creativity or the head coach has set parameters that prevent the PP coaches from getting more out of his PP units. Or we have just hired three shitty PP coaches in a row. My estimation is that Tanguay isn't going to cause these numbers to spike in any real way unless Blash lets him go creatively and/or the team brings in more offensively gifted talent. Sure, the numbers should go up from last season, but this hire isn't going to magically turn the PP around.

If Yzerman was under any real impression that Blashill was imposing any kind of arbitrary restrictions that was hindering someones ability to do their job then I don't imagine he would have been extended. From Blashill's job security perspective this also makes absolutely no sense, with his job on the line and more than probably 90% of the fan base wanting his head, I would have thought that Blashill would be pleading with Disco D to get him some kind of resolution to the problem.

If we are going to just make up things about our coaching staff then I think it is entirely more plausible that DB sabotaged the powerplay so that he could try and snag Blashill's job on an interim basis, now Blashill is extended he is out the door to "explore other avenues". Seems way more plausible but is equal amounts conjecture.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
If Yzerman was under any real impression that Blashill was imposing any kind of arbitrary restrictions that was hindering someones ability to do their job then I don't imagine he would have been extended. From Blashill's job security perspective this also makes absolutely no sense, with his job on the line and more than probably 90% of the fan base wanting his head, I would have thought that Blashill would be pleading with Disco D to get him some kind of resolution to the problem.

If we are going to just make up things about our coaching staff then I think it is entirely more plausible that DB sabotaged the powerplay so that he could try and snag Blashill's job on an interim basis, now Blashill is extended he is out the door to "explore other avenues". Seems way more plausible but is equal amounts conjecture.

Talk about jumping to a melodramatic conclusion.
You'll note my words: "I don't THINK it really matters..." "My ESTIMATION..." Never once did I portray my comments as anything more than my opinion - which is something we are all here to share and express, right? Stop claiming I am making up anything about anybody and learn to comprehend what you are reading.
I gave three opinions of possible scenarios why I feel the PP might be awful during Blashill's 6 years coaching the team. These were spit-balling opinions from a hockey fan. Nowhere did I make anything up other than what conjecture I have in my head. I guess I could have just bitched and moaned that Bylsma sucks - rather, I chose to see if there might be other reasons for 6 seasons of PP failure.
Now, for people who are not hyper-sensitive, I do find it plausible (IN MY OPINION) that something in Blashill's coaching fundamentals is an ingredient that might hamper the power play. I do not know how much control the assistant coaches have over their sphere. Did Bylsma and will Tanguay have 100% control over the team's powerplay structure and personnel or will the head coach have some hand in that to a greater or lesser degree? Is it that crazy to speculate (without accusing or making anything up about anyone) that Blash might have some blame in our PP being so awful during his tenure?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

I think the decline in talent was the biggest factor. But I also like that Yzerman continues to install "his guys" and is getting some fresh perspective from outside the organization for the climb back up the mountain as talent returns.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
LOL are their still people refusing to accept that any coach on this team is going to get us at best 1-2 spots in the standings. This roster is not only bad it is worst "in history" territory. This is why I was complaining so much about the organization extending the streak. How are people feeling about the streak now after years of watching some of the worst hockey the NHL has ever broadcasted? If you want to blame someone, blame the "get in and anything can happen" fan gas lighting campaign that paved the road to get us here.

Blash is doing something in the locker room that Yzerman thinks the team needs. Blash is not doing much worse, or even any worse at all, than any other coach would do with this roster. Those are the only two statistics I need to stay chilled the F out and focused on the draft. If watching wings hockey is a struggle and the conclusion is 'it's the coach' I think that shows an unwillingness to embrace reality driving the inability to have grounded expectations.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Don't forget Todd Gill (who played for the '01 Wings and '02 Avalanche--would have been way better off the other way around).
Wasn't he injured all the time in both seasons?
I'm sure he's very good. But this feels a little weird.
It feels very weird.
Why would Stevie hire a good that's not good, regardless of which team he played for?

Hockey players are a strange breed anyways, their loyalty is always with the team they're on. Look at all of the enforcers, and how often they changed teams. The Caps signed Lundqvist and Chara last offseason.

We hired a GM from Tampa, a team that eliminated us from the playoffs and kicks our asses almost every season, should we be mad?
Yzerman is and always has been a red wing. We just lent him for a little while.

Whatever.
It's the consensus around here to think Dan Bylsma is the problem.
Bylsma actually won a Stanley Cup in this league. As a head coach.
And if you look at his Buffalo days and compare them to other Sabre coaches, it's starting to look like he was far from the problem, there, too.

I'd take Bylsma over Blashill every day of the week.
You say Yzerman doesn't understand hockey?
Best thing is that Tanguay is totally an outsider.
There's no Detroit connection, no Tampa connection, no Blashill connection or Team Canada connection.

He is totally fresh brains for the coaching staff.
Maybe .
I skated with him a couple of times way back in the day. He struck me as a really nice, unpretentious guy. I have no idea if he can actually coach (plenty of good players can't), but like TZE, I too liked his work as an analyst. Like I said, he can't be worse than Disco.
I thought he skated with you.
Yikes?
Blashill
One playoff win vs 4 losses

Bylsma
--

43 playoff wins vs 35 playoff losses
1 Stanley Cup
1 Jack Adams Award

And while Bylsma was not successful in Buffalo
Here's the Sabres record before, during and after Byslma.

13-14 .317 Nolan
14-15 .329 Nolan
15-16 .494 Bylsma
16-17 .476 Bylsma
17-18 .378 Housley
18-19 .463 Housley
19-20 .493 Krueger
20-21 .330 Krueger

Out of the last 8 years, Bylsma had the best season and the third best season.
Of the 4 coaches, three of them had at least one train-wreck season. Bylsma did not.

And none of these incompetents had a trainwreck season like Blashill's.
Out of the two-year coaches, Bylsma, by far had the best record.

Yikes? LOL.
Why nobody hires him?

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Well we seem to be able to complete side to side passes from circle to circle. When I say "we" I mean Lucas Raymond, as two such passes led to goals against CBJ. The pp has looked good so far, though it is still early. Leddy and Raymond have certainly made a noticeable impact - I'm not going to praise Drury for that. I'm pleased that he's put a stop to that silly drop pass. Our entries have been better for sure, but, again, better personnel and a low quality of competition may have accounted for much of that. We'll see what the pp numbers are about 20 games into the season.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Well we seem to be able to complete side to side passes from circle to circle. When I say "we" I mean Lucas Raymond, as two such passes led to goals against CBJ. The pp has looked good so far, though it is still early. Leddy and Raymond have certainly made a noticeable impact - I'm not going to praise Drury for that. I'm pleased that he's put a stop to that silly drop pass. Our entries have been better for sure, but, again, better personnel and a low quality of competition may have accounted for much of that. We'll see what the pp numbers are about 20 games into the season.
Tanguay, not Drury. Wrong Av, Chris is GM of the Rangers, lol.

Agree that the level of competition was low, but even with the B team on the ice today you can see the difference in PP philosophy. More movement and passing, less stationary "you need to stand here" coaching. I just remember how good Fabbri looked on the PP until Disco coached him out of everything that was working.

You could have the perfect passers, but any pass going from a stationary player to another stationary player is very easy to break up. The Disco philosophy wouldn't have worked with Raymond and Leddy. I'm quite happy to have Alex.... so far.

Reactions: CaptainZetterberg40

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Tanguay, not Drury. Wrong Av, Chris is GM of the Rangers, lol.

Agree that the level of competition was low, but even with the B team on the ice today you can see the difference in PP philosophy. More movement and passing, less stationary "you need to stand here" coaching. I just remember how good Fabbri looked on the PP until Disco coached him out of everything that was working.

You could have the perfect passers, but any pass going from a stationary player to another stationary player is very easy to break up. The Disco philosophy wouldn't have worked with Raymond and Leddy. I'm quite happy to have Alex.... so far.
Yes, wrong Av. Thanks for the correction. I didn't get to see the Pittsburgh game, so that is promising.

Ill add that on Raymond's second pp assist the BJ players were so out of position that the Zamboni could have driven from Raymond to Larkin without being touched, so getting a puck through was no difficult task.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad