Confirmed with Link: Alex Tanguay new Assistant Coach

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
So Blashill hates hair, and is bent on removing hair people from the coaching ranks????

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
poster_fab36dd0b0ee450882bf4d21991033c7.jpg
upload_2021-6-30_15-54-49-png.450549
assistant-coach-doug-houda-of-the-detroit-red-wings-has-his-official-picture-id612170540

All bald.

3/3.

Don't forget he also had that Pat guy that had no hair as well.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I puked reading that. But hope he does well for you guys. Maybe if he does good enough you can send him back to Denver :laugh:

Nope. He is going to have the life sucked out of him first, then return to Denver. You can have him after he experiences the doldrums with us.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
That's where I'm at.

I hated the Avalanche during that era but Tanguay was nowhere near the top of my shit list. Am I forgetting something?

That he should have been high on your shit list.

Joking aside, I’m intrigued by this hire and even though I hated him on the Avs I always thought he was a very smart player that made the right plays at the right time. I’m hoping he can impart that knowledge to our kids.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Always negative cry babies on this board, why I don't read it much lol
dear omnipotent hockey gods of this galaxy bless your dear hearts for hearing my prayers and sending your angel CTS to do your and my bidding . yes yes this , ' always negative cry babys around here ' x 1,000,000

personally im ecstatic its not a retread , keep the search going trying to find new versions of the best at their job in the nhl . and also that its a player yzerman was on the ice with so he knows first hand he is of smart hockey mind .

Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I am cool with this. I hated Tanguay because he was an Av but I had a grudging respect for his talent. I don't know anything about him as a coach but I suspect Yzerman has taken his time to find the right guy. The fact he hired a former Av makes me believe he has to be good, otherwise why would Yzerman hire a freaking Av?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
This just in, Red Wings researching into personal time machines. Plop a person in the machine for a couple weeks and they come out as a 25 year old version of themselves. Bringing in Alex Tanguay is the first step into utilizing this new technology.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
As it turns out, the ignore feature is probably my favorite thing on this board now. I don't have to read some ridiculous hot take and can just be excited that maybe we brought in a good hockey man with Tanguay. Maybe he's a good PP mind and we can start giving him some tools to actually build a workable PP. Big part of why I want us to offer Alec Martinez in UFA.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I am cool with this. I hated Tanguay because he was an Av but I had a grudging respect for his talent. I don't know anything about him as a coach but I suspect Yzerman has taken his time to find the right guy. The fact he hired a former Av makes me believe he has to be good, otherwise why would Yzerman hire a freaking Av?
Why would Stevie hire a good that's not good, regardless of which team he played for?

Hockey players are a strange breed anyways, their loyalty is always with the team they're on. Look at all of the enforcers, and how often they changed teams. The Caps signed Lundqvist and Chara last offseason.

We hired a GM from Tampa, a team that eliminated us from the playoffs and kicks our asses almost every season, should we be mad?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
What's so f***ing great about not hiring a retread?
It's a superficial point to begin with because, chances are, Tanguay is a retread about to happen. Chances are, Tanguay is already getting the job precisely because he is a retread. (Retreading players into the coaching ranks).
It isn't like Tanguay has some great coaching record here that shows he earned it.

I don't give a f*** whether someone is a retread or newb - as long as they're a good coach with something positive to offer.

We won't know if there's anything substantial here for awhile.
Dude, that is about the strangest hot take ever. I don't see how you can call a coach a retread because he played in the league.

My concerns are:
- Limited coaching experience, and if he's able to transfer his skills and knowledge to players
- How much leash he's given by Blash. Blash obviously prefers the dump and chase. Is Alex going to get enough leeway to modify the offensive strategy and structure?
- Working with Houda... how does the team develop a transition when Houda's basic philosophy is to fling the puck out?
- He lived in Patrick Roy's basement

Find some real reasons to complain.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Dude, that is about the strangest hot take ever. I don't see how you can call a coach a retread because he played in the league.

My concerns are:
- Limited coaching experience, and if he's able to transfer his skills and knowledge to players
- How much leash he's given by Blash. Blash obviously prefers the dump and chase. Is Alex going to get enough leeway to modify the offensive strategy and structure?
- Working with Houda... how does the team develop a transition when Houda's basic philosophy is to fling the puck out?

Hey man, you gotta get that experience somehow. Even Bowman was an entry level employee at some point.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hey man, you gotta get that experience somehow. Even Bowman was an entry level employee at some point.
Playing devil's advocate. I'm fully on board with this signing.

2 years as AHL assistant is a short resume. That's all I was pointing out. 15 years as a top end player mitigates that.

Living with Roy though.... that's gotta cause some psychological scars.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

2 years as AHL assistant is a short resume though. That's all I was pointing out. 15 years as a top end player mitigates that.

I think that mars his reputation as well.

Maybe Yzerman is playing the long game on this for when we suck? Hire a former rival to throw him under the bus when things go bad?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base

2 years as AHL assistant is a short resume. That's all I was pointing out. 15 years as a top end player mitigates that.

That just means he has resolve & his mettle is upto SY's standards.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

My concerns are:

I'm not complaining.
I just don't think we've unearthed some coaching gem. I listened to his presser - nothing especially great there.
I don't see all that much in Iowa that makes me think he's a great find.

I also don't see anything negative about the guy.

I don't much to praise or criticize.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm not complaining.
I just don't think we've unearthed some coaching gem. I listened to his presser - nothing especially great there.
I don't see all that much in Iowa that makes me think he's a great find.

I also don't see anything negative about the guy.

I don't much to praise or criticize.
I can't see how he could possibly be worse than Disco. It's better than what CBJ did by promoting their version of Disco to head coach.

Even if it's only an incremental improvement, it's still a win. The team is moving in the right direction (I hope). Regardless, I got what I asked for so I have no complaints.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad