Confirmed with Link: Alex Tanguay new Assistant Coach

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Brind'Amour was hired as an Assistant originally and is doing well.

Even if it's just like an Adam Oates type of hire, I would take it. I thought he helped give Washington's PP a boost and worked as a PP consultant for a bunch of teams afterwards. Didn't work out as a head coach, but had some good years as an Assistant.

He was a skilled and creative player, I think he could be a good influence on Zadina and Raymond in the upcoming years. Willing to give it a try as opposed to just getting another guy like Bylsma.
The problem with Oates is that he's a micromanager. That's fine if he's an offensive assistant, but terrible when he's telling the goalies how to play as a head coach. And no, I'm not making that up.

Changes cost Capitals goalie Braden Holtby his confidence - The Washington Post

In any case, I'm on board with this hire.

Reactions: Frk It

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Dude, I'm not the guy who went into attack mode. That's Benchy Bulldog.

I don't have anything against Tanguay (anymore).
I don't have any knowledge that's particularly talented.

Though I'm sure some beat writers are trying to spin the idea that he's an up-and-coming star as we type.

I can't tell you if Tanguay will be a good coach or not, but it's the type of hire I was personally looking for.

I was just wondering since you said you just want a good coach (whether it's a re-tread or new guy), if you had some names in mind of who you would have liked. So we know what alternatives you actually preferred instead of just criticizing this hire.

Last edited:
Reactions: BStinson

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
How the hell are you always so confident about things you have so little understanding.

I'd love a detailed explanation why Tanguay won't be a good assistant coach. Please, don't spare us of a single shred of your expertise here.

He’s going to sabotage detroit as part of a bid to get a job with Colorado.

Sakic: ‘Your resume looks amazing! I see you brought the adversary’s power play to below 3% and their goals per game to 1.2 per game. Consider yourself hired!’

It is known.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
My brain: Alex Tanguay, he's that young guy that played for the Avs

My eyes: Holy crap, that young guy is as old and bald as me.
His hairline was starting to recede even in his first stint with the Avs, he was bald in his second stint.

There's really nothing to dislike about this signing. Young and upcoming coach with NHL playing experience and scoring skills. The Wings can't pass much less score and he can teach that both on a tactical perspective as well as physical execution. This is the coach that guys like Zadina, Raz, and Joey need.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
My brain: Alex Tanguay, he's that young guy that played for the Avs

My eyes: Holy crap, that young guy is as old and bald as me.

Me: Holy crap, I'm 2-3yrs shy of being old enough to be young-old bald guys biological father.

Don't feel bad, he was bald later in his playing career too.

upload_2021-6-30_15-54-49.png

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He’s going to sabotage detroit as part of a bid to get a job with Colorado.

Sakic: ‘Your resume looks amazing! I see you brought the adversary’s power play to below 3% and their goals per game to 1.2 per game. Consider yourself hired!’

It is known.
I think you have him confused with Bylsma. Watch that turd go back to Pittsburgh, lol.

Avs really aren't a rival any more.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I can't tell you if Tanguay will be a good coach or not, but it's the type of hire I was personally looking for.

I was just wondering since you said you just want a good coach (whether it's a re-tread or new guy), if you had some names in mind of who you would have liked. So we know what alternatives you actually preferred instead of just criticizing this hire.

I'm not criticizing the hire.
I don't think there's anything to really like or dislike to be honest, unless you have some special knowledge of the day to day operations of the Iowa Wild.
I'd like to see Larionov - but that's just smoke. I don't know if Larionov would be good - even if he wanted to coach.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Brind'Amour was hired as an Assistant originally and is doing well.

Even if it's just like an Adam Oates type of hire, I would take it. I thought he helped give Washington's PP a boost and worked as a PP consultant for a bunch of teams afterwards. Didn't work out as a head coach, but had some good years as an Assistant.

He was a skilled and creative player, I think he could be a good influence on Zadina and Raymond in the upcoming years. Willing to give it a try as opposed to just getting another guy like Bylsma.

I will also say I think this is big in terms of type of guy, Blash had a staff of hardworking guys in terms of hockey career. We have seen that, but Doug Houda and Dan Bylsma were heart and soul players. Pat Ferschweiler also wasn't a high end skill hockey player, Blash was a goalie.

Tanguay has been impressive as an offensive assistant in Iowa, especially before the world went nutty which is a more usual season and ability to practice the year before. When you can't run normal practices and your offensive talent gets called up to the strangely successful main club while the other one is put out for the year with covid (not that I think he is going to be an offensive dynamo up a level but Rossi helps in the AHL a lot) you are going to get some variance. I like the way he discusses the game when I have seen him in the analyst role as well.

But sorry I wandered, the one big thing here is Tanguay is a top 6 forward that developed the right way on a good team. What I hope he can get through to this staff is that skill player (especially young ones) are going to make mistakes in this league. You have to trust putting them back out there, you have to search for ways to get that messages across without neutering their talent. He will know a little better how to treat a player in a scoring drought. I think that was pretty vital to get on this staff, a guy that understands offensive development. Excited to see it, happy to welcome him aboard.

I would have been fine with raiding Europe, but I am pretty happy with this move, curious to see some of the things Tanguay brings.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Instinctively feels wrong.

Yzerman obviously goes above gut reactions.

Good with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad