Speculation: Alex Pietrangelo Megathread: contract talks with the Blues have stalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Canucks should let Markstrom and Tanev walk and go after Pietrangelo.

Sell him on the young promising core and living in one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Shouldnt be hard.

salivating at the thought of Hughes-Pietrangelo top pairing.

That'd be an amazing pairing. good lord.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
This will get done! Posturing by Alex here...but they can't afford to let the guy go.

I don't know, I'd be pretty pissed too if my team traded for and immediately extended two players who combined represent my cap hit but offer less value as players. They're not even younger players with room to grow for that matter.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I don't know, I'd be pretty pissed too if my team traded for and immediately extended two players who combined represent my cap hit but offer less value as players. They're not even younger players with room to grow for that matter.

Really seems like such an obvious unforced error with very minimal upside.

Reactions: BringTheReign

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The Blues Captain who WON THE CUP AND HOISTED IT ON BOSTON ICE. Living legend in the STL and a true top 10 scoring DMAN. How do you not sign him? It’s just money and he helped bring home the Cup after 50+ years of cursed nonsense. SIGN HIM.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I've seen more than one 4th line tweener make a beautiful high skilled scoring play, that doesn't mean we can start comparing him to Kane. How often and how consistently they can apply their skills to create offense isn't particularly close, even if Domi can do a lot of the same things Marner can in a vacuum.

Domi's highlight reel on the year is probably shorter than Marner's highlight reel in a month where he's feeling it.

I don't think anyone questions the fact that Marner is the more consistent offensive producer but that doesn't mean that Domi doesn't have a great skill set as well. He is a creative passer and possesses some truly slick hands and agile skating. Calling him "barely a hockey player" in comparison to Marner's skill level is insulting. Domi does not lack skill but he seems to lack determination which is the main reason his points totals dropped this past year.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
No it wouldn't petro is not a defensive dman. He is a offensive dman. Quinn is only and offensive dman. So you want petro to play pure defense and Quinn be the offfense?

he’s a stud defensively and his ability to read plays helps him offensively. I wouldn’t call him an offensive defenseman. But Petro is a guy that could play with pretty much anybody. Canucks could bring Coliacavo out of retirement, pair him with Petro and give them the tough assignments and then let Hughes feast off the rest.

As long as Hughes knows to stay back when Petro makes the initial read to jump up in transition, they’d be fine together. Maybe you’d only get 35 pts out of Petro instead of 50, but you’re paying Petro to control games and whatever offense you get is icing on the cake.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Toronto imo should trade Marner/Nylander for a package from the wild (Marner would cost more, but wild need a center) for Dumba +, and sign Petro.
Would significantly make the team better.
Just my two cents (If they can fit it under the cap)

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Toronto imo should trade Marner/Nylander for a package from the wild (Marner would cost more, but wild need a center) for Dumba +, and sign Petro.
Would significantly make the team better.
Just my two cents (If they can fit it under the cap)

Not for Dumba. Those are just better players going out from a Toronto's perspective. I'm open to moving Nylander for that D piece (not Dumba), but not Marner.

Only guys I'd trade Marner for are untouchables in Hughes, Makar, Heiskenen, and Jones. I think there is still untapped potential with Marner and he's already elite.

Last edited:
Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
This is a tough one for the Blues, Pietrangelo is 30. How much and how long do you want to invest in him?
He seems like the type of defender that should age pretty well, so I think it would be best for the Blues to do whatever possible to hang on to him.

I know a lot of Leafs fans want him, but I can't see that happening. Too much money tied up in other areas.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He seems like the type of defender that should age pretty well, so I think it would be best for the Blues to do whatever possible to hang on to him.

I know a lot of Leafs fans want him, but I can't see that happening. Too much money tied up in other areas.
Maybe he does age better, but it's always a risk. I look at Karlsson, and how quickly he fell off. He's not going to come cheap this is for certain.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Maybe he does age better, but it's always a risk. I look at Karlsson, and how quickly he fell off. He's not going to come cheap this is for certain.

Not sure it's fair to compare EK to AP in the sense that EK was coming off a couple of recent serious leg injuries. His entire game is built on his mobility. AP doesn't have recent injury problems. There will definitely be some dropoff late in a contract with term due to age, but it won't be nearly as early in the deal as EK.

Reactions: CupInSIX

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Not sure it's fair to compare EK to AP in the sense that EK was coming off a couple of recent serious leg injuries. His entire game is built on his mobility. AP doesn't have recent injury problems. There will definitely be some dropoff late in a contract with term due to age, but it won't be nearly as early in the deal as EK.
I can agree with that.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
The Blues window closes if Pietrangelo is gone. It'd be stupid for St. Louis to let him go.
Yeah thats not true at all. The blues were built as a team not like toronto where they have 4 tremendous players and the rest men. Blues lost thier best goal scorer tarasrnko 10 games into the season still one division. 1 player can fall and the load shifts to other players. Petro missed 10 12 games and parayko stepped up.

I think to say if petro goes so do chances of blues winning is just irrational

Last edited:

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Yeah thats not true at all. The blues were as a team not a few superstars like toronto. Blues lost thier best goal scorer tarasrnko 10 games into the season still one division. 1 player can fall and the load shifts to other players. Petro missed 10 12 games and parayko stepped up.

I think to say if petro goes so do chances of blues winning is just irrational

God damn man I feel like I just caught a stray :(

If he went to Vegas, what salary would they move? Once MAF is gone and Lehner signs, they were going to have about 4 million cap space I thought. Maybe move Schmidty?

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Holland needs to step away from the OEL table and make a big offer to Pietrangelo. He’s the exact dman we’ve needed for a decade. If you manage to sign him, Nurse + Neal + pick can be packaged to a team with lots of cap space (NJ/DET/MTL) for a winger to play with Mcdavid. Larsson can also be shipped out for a 3c. Filling the 3 major holes in our roster one after another.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
God damn man I feel like I just caught a stray :(

If he went to Vegas, what salary would they move? Once MAF is gone and Lehner signs, they were going to have about 4 million cap space I thought. Maybe move Schmidty?

Stastny then Marchessault if necessary. Those are guys we have in house replacements for with Glass and Tuch. Moving Schmidt would just create another hole. We need Petro to play WITH Schmidt.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Stastny then Marchessault if necessary. Those are guys we have in house replacements for with Glass and Tuch. Moving Schmidt would just create another hole. We need Petro to play WITH Schmidt.

March I could see, but I don't think the return would be very good for Stastny.

Tough to see Toronto without trading one of their core players.

Otherwise they have 7 guys taking 60 million, not including starting goaltender

100% would require Marner or Nylander dealt, and likely others as well.

I am not sold on bringing him in, to be honest. If the COVID never happened, sure, but now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad