Speculation: Alex Pietrangelo Megathread: contract talks with the Blues have stalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Petro is going to the Leafs 100%. Everyone should understand this by now. Something team friendly around $8.9 per. Book it. They can easily fill out the roster with the Thornton's and Simmonds for a million each. Dubas will get credit but players will want to come home during the pandemic.
Isn't AP's wife from St. Louis? I could be wrong here

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Leafs fan, would love Pietrangelo, cant see it happening.

My assumption is his agent floated Toronto as a possibility because it means guaranteed press, and Toronto probably has the cash to front load a deal with heavy signing bonuses which = covid protection.

For the Leafs to be able to offer even the 7.5m or so that St.Louis has apparently already offered, they would need to make 2 or 3 moves OR downgrade from Freddies 5m to a near league minimum costing G.

Reactions: qqaz

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Or it's more complicated than that because it's hard to sign a player of his age for that price and length and keep the depth necessary to contend. If what Pietro wants is a bit rich and Armstrong's trying to pitch him on winning more Cups, that's an involved process of figuring out what everyone else will make and what replacements might be available in the market. It definitely didn't have to be known that he'd sign or leave so far ahead of time to arrive at the current state of things - which, by the way, is still largely unknown.

Could be that St.Louis was trying to go for another cup, thinking another long good playoff run (or potentially win) could make him want to come back for cheaper?

I dont see him leaving, but someone on their back end likely has played their last game as a member of the Blues.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004

My assumption is his agent floated Toronto as a possibility because it means guaranteed press, and Toronto probably has the cash to front load a deal with heavy signing bonuses which = covid protection.

For the Leafs to be able to offer even the 7.5m or so that St.Louis has apparently already offered, they would need to make 2 or 3 moves OR downgrade from Freddies 5m to a near league minimum costing G.

thats what Doughty did... used Toronto as leverage to get his monster deal, shame for Petro Covid is screwing everything. ...he could always sign a 2 year deal, then cash in

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
thats what Doughty did... used Toronto as leverage to get his monster deal, shame for Petro Covid is screwing everything. ...he could always sign a 2 year deal, then cash in

When did Doughty do that?

Doughty was just straight up that he'd stay if the Kings pay up. That's it.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

1.) I agree Petro is totally negotiating through the media. He seems to be using this leverage in a way that others haven’t in a long time. When was the last time this happened?

2.) I think it’s pretty clear that he is pissed with st L. You could see the body language and anger. I would be too. I mean. Your captain and cup winner brings u a cup in June. And by sept you have signed a potential replacement before even talking to him? The way the blues have done this is just crazy.

3.) it all comes down to whether the blues pushed too far on him. They are still probably the favourite

4.) my outside bet is Vegas. But Toronto in theory absolutely could sign him and compete with the

A core of

Matthews. Marner
Tavares. Nylander

Rielly Petro.
Muzzin

For the next 2 years. They wouldn’t have to move a F until riellys contract was up.

Reactions: qqaz

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Isn't AP's wife from St. Louis? I could be wrong here

I am sure staying in St. Louis is their first second and third choice. But if he has to go perhaps the idea of raising their kids near family (aka Toronto) may be enticing. May be a tough for her. Having said that...if he is leaving because of money it’s not like Leafs can offer much more than the Blues. I just don’t see why he leaves the Blues for marginally more money unless it gets personal.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
4.) my outside bet is Vegas. But Toronto in theory absolutely could sign him and compete with the

Ask yourself this... if you had triplets, plus now a newborn, came from a rich family, and already had just under $50m in career earnings, would you sign in Vegas -- which is 3 hours from your wife's family and 4 hours from your own?

Even if it resulted in another $10m in the bank at the end of the day to sign elsewhere, to me it seems like the only plausible destinations for Pietrangelo are St. Louis and Toronto -- likely with full NMC protection.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

A core of

Matthews. Marner
Tavares. Nylander

Rielly Petro.
Muzzin

For the next 2 years. They wouldn’t have to move a F until riellys contract was up.
Assuming Pietrangelo at $9M in that scenario, that's over $65M for 4 forwards, 3 D and Andersen as the goalie. You still need to fill 10 forwards, 4 defensemen and a back up goalie - 15 roster spots - with the remaining $16M or so. Add Campbell, Holl and Hyman and now you're down to around $10.5M for 12 roster spots. That's barely above league minimum for half of your roster. And you still need to fire sale guys like Kerfoot and Johnsson.

Those top guys are going to get really, really tired.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Ask yourself this... if you had triplets, plus now a newborn, came from a rich family, and already had just under $50m in career earnings, would you sign in Vegas -- which is 3 hours from your wife's family and 4 hours from your own?

Even if it resulted in another $10m in the bank at the end of the day to sign elsewhere, to me it seems like the only plausible destinations for Pietrangelo are St. Louis and Toronto -- likely with full NMC protection.

You can buy you in laws and you family each a their own house in Vegas for a lot less than 10m .......... I am not saying hes even thinking about Vegas, who really knows but 10m is a LOT of money, yeah he has 50m earnings, but after taxes, expenses and agent fees, that 10m might be what he feels he needs to live comfortable for the rest of his life.

I never fault players for taking more money when it is a bunch more and 10m is a bunch more

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Could be that St.Louis was trying to go for another cup, thinking another long good playoff run (or potentially win) could make him want to come back for cheaper?

I dont see him leaving, but someone on their back end likely has played their last game as a member of the Blues.

I think it's much simpler than that. Doug Armstrong has been the blues GM for 9 years. He has own way of doing things -- notably in that he has always built his teams on depth. There were 39 players with a cap hit of $8m or more last year -- he had none of them. Even when Tarasenko signed in 2015, he was only the 18th highest paid player in the league.

Pietrangelo's representation likely indicated to Armstrong last summer that the comparables for his deal should be Karlsson & Doughty. Sure, maybe you can get him on a "hometown discount" (the Kings couldn't), but when you're negotiating from that point, it still likely means that Pietrangelo is going to cost in/around $10m season even with a big "hometown discount". At $10m/season, that's basically Pietrangelo & a replacement-level player, or Parayko & Faulk.... so he makes his move.

To me, the only reason Pietrangelo wasn't traded is A) they felt they could run for another cup, and B) once that happened, it became obvious that he really didn't / doesn't want to "test the market'... for him it's either Toronto or St. Louis; and combined with the COVID effects on the salary cap, Doughty/Karlsson contracts simply aren't going to be on the table from anyone.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I am sure staying in St. Louis is their first second and third choice. But if he has to go perhaps the idea of raising their kids near family (aka Toronto) may be enticing. May be a tough for her. Having said that...if he is leaving because of money it’s not like Leafs can offer much more than the Blues. I just don’t see why he leaves the Blues for marginally more money unless it gets personal.

I think the money thing is the bonuses. You get paid your SB if you play or not.

Salary is paid every 2 weeks and is /82.
So if you sign for 8 million in bonuses. You get 8 million. Either way

if you sign 8 million salary. Then if you play half a season you get half pay.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
You can buy you in laws and you family each a their own house in Vegas for a lot less than 10m .......... I am not saying hes even thinking about Vegas, who really knows but 10m is a LOT of money, yeah he has 50m earnings, but after taxes, expenses and agent fees, that 10m might be what he feels he needs to live comfortable for the rest of his life.

I never fault players for taking more money when it is a bunch more and 10m is a bunch more

I don't know about his wife's family, but I'd suspect that his family has absolutely no interest in living in Vegas.

He's got $48m in career earnings, less when you consider all the fees, etc.... but if the options are $10.5m x 7 to to to Vegas, or $9m x 7 to stay in St. Louis or go to Toronto; I'd imagine that it's really not a difficult choice.

For a guy like that, he'll be well beyond "living comfortable for the rest of his life" in either scenario.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don't know about his wife's family, but I'd suspect that his family has absolutely no interest in living in Vegas.

He's got $48m in career earnings, less when you consider all the fees, etc.... but if the options are $10.5m x 7 to to to Vegas, or $9m x 7 to stay in St. Louis or go to Toronto; I'd imagine that it's really not a difficult choice.

For a guy like that, he'll be well beyond "living comfortable for the rest of his life" in either scenario.

for what it’s worth. Chris Johnston was saying it was between st L and Vegas during the pause.

He shook his head and laughed and said that Petro wouldn’t want to sign here and that “there are other places he can go” and mentioned Vegas.

of course the reality is that since that time. Petro has come out and said he was his childhood dream to play in toronto and it is an exciting possibility. multiple insiders have Now said TO is high on his list.

I personally think a big part of this is negotiating through the media.

the markets mentioned are

1.) the team that throws SB out like candy (give me SB before toronto offers me)

2.) the team that is a rival that has tax free market (I can make more money in vegas)

as a TO fan. Personally I am souring on it. With the market being as it is. I think toronto can probably get better deals from teaMs that are squeezed for cash.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

I think it’d have to come at the expense of Nylander which might not be a bad swap for Toronto. They’re definitely maxed out on high-dollar contracts. Can’t bring anymore in without shipping some out.

He’d fill such a big need, I think I’d go for it and sort the rest out later.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
I think it’d have to come at the expense of Nylander which might not be a bad swap for Toronto. They’re definitely maxed out on high-dollar contracts. Can’t bring anymore in without shipping some out.

He’d fill such a big need, I think I’d go for it and sort the rest out later.

The only way it works for Toronto, IMO, is if its a shorter deal with max signing bonuses AND Alex/his agent believe the salary side of the equation for 2020-2021 season may be squished by a shorter season. (i.e. 54 game season results in only 2/3rds pay) AND the St.Louis deal is mostly salary based.

If he makes 7.5mx8 in St. Louis, and its front loaded on the salary side, he could see a decent hit if next years games are reduced. ($50m total, IF year one is 2/3rds salary)
If he makes 8x4 in Toronto, he can get around 90% of it as signing bonus, and would need to sign a a 4 year deal for just under $5m to 'equal' in total possible earnings.

Does he think at 34 he will be able to sign a 4.75m x 5 year deal?
Is it worth the risk? Does he bet on the cap in 4 years being above the current one?

Lots of logic steps needed to be taken to make a business case to leave IMO. The emotional side, who knows!

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
for what it’s worth. Chris Johnston was saying it was between st L and Vegas during the pause.

He shook his head and laughed and said that Petro wouldn’t want to sign here and that “there are other places he can go” and mentioned Vegas.

of course the reality is that since that time. Petro has come out and said he was his childhood dream to play in toronto and it is an exciting possibility. multiple insiders have Now said TO is high on his list.

I personally think a big part of this is negotiating through the media.

the markets mentioned are

1.) the team that throws SB out like candy (give me SB before toronto offers me)

2.) the team that is a rival that has tax free market (I can make more money in vegas)

as a TO fan. Personally I am souring on it. With the market being as it is. I think toronto can probably get better deals from teaMs that are squeezed for cash.

From a hockey and $ standpoint, Vegas absolutely makes a lot of sense. They're a great team, have shown a willingness to spend money, have little on the right side, and can make the space with 1-2 moves. They're also a sun-destination, which of course a lot of players prefer. However, given Pietrangelo's personal circumstances, I just can't see it.

The problem is -- of the two teams he'd ideally want to go to -- St. Louis and Toronto -- I don't think either one really wants him.

The Blues will be happy to have him back, but there is a limit to how badly. Obviously nobody knows exactly what the number is -- but at some point they're going to decide that they're better off with Parayko & $Xm in cap freedom than they are with Pietrangelo and whatever they get for Parayko.

Toronto is desparate for a big-time RHD, and Pietrangelo likely fits their style of play, but what's it going to mean in terms of long term costs?

If signing Pietrangelo means you really should trade Marner, then that's a problem, because the likely scenario is that you'll trade Nylander, only to find next year that you need to get less top-heavy, but now no longer have Nylander, then you've got a problem. If you're signing Pietrangelo to ultimately replace Rielly who walks as UFA, then again you have to ask yourself -- what's the point? While the Leafs do not have an internal replacement like the Blues do, they do have a decent pool of assets with which to utilize -- including a former 17th OA pick that needs a change of scenery, at 15th OA pick in this year's draft, and a 25 year old middle-6 winger with a pretty good contract.

Reactions: quityerwhinin

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
No it wouldn't petro is not a defensive dman. He is a offensive dman. Quinn is only and offensive dman. So you want petro to play pure defense and Quinn be the offfense?

Vancouver ran Edler and Ehrhoff, two primarily offensive-minded defensemen, for years. They did pretty well. Not to mention, Petro is quite solid playing defense. So yeah, he'd be fine at it.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Vancouver ran Edler and Ehrhoff, two primarily offensive-minded defensemen, for years. They did pretty well. Not to mention, Petro is quite solid playing defense. So yeah, he'd be fine at it.
Maybe running them on separate lines. On the same line no. I think the dream duo won't be quit as dreamy as you think

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
His defense is not great. I would rather haVe a bozak And pay slightly more. Kerfoot may have time to bring his game up another knotch. At this point teams are not going to jump all over him

He’s actually very good defensively, but okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad