Speculation: Alex Pietrangelo Megathread: contract talks with the Blues have stalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Come on guys, according to conspiracy theo... Uhm I mean Montreal media, Petro is coming to Montreal.

Bergevin signed Allen and then Edmundson to entice Petro to sign in Montreal.

Come on now, it's so obvious.

Then he will trade Petry and get a killer haul, followed by Danault and Domi for scoring wingers probably even try for Tarasenko!
Then he will trade for Mikko Koivu as his 3rd line center for a 4th rounder and prospect and have A Koivu retire as a Hab.

this is the darkest timeline

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
As far as I know, the Leafs only have 6.1 available. That’s without Hyman getting a new contract, an entire 4th line, Soup getting resigned, Engvall getting a new contract (unsure of his contract status), plus a buffer. Feel free to correct me on any of these things (other than the 4th line). I just don’t see how this is feasible for the Leafs. Marner, Matthews or Tavares are the only people that clears out enough space, or Nylander, Andersen, and (Overpaid slightly dman).
Hyman is signed for the year. Engvall for another 2. Soup will be cheap.
If they sign Dermott and pietro, 2 of holl and Marincin and callen could go.
It could be done...especially given that Anderson will most likely be moved before his contract is up.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
If Pietro signs with Leafs, Habs will take Marner for Domi.

I think that would actually benefit both teams. Leafs would look scary with Pietro + Domi though.

Marner for Domi wouldn’t happen regardless. Domi ++ maybe. Depending on what Domi would re-sign for.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Blues not doing everything they can to keep him and Petro ending up somewhere else.. i'll believe it when i see it
Could Armstrong have a number in mind that he won't go over when it comes to resigning Petro. They have Parayko signed for another 2 years who could move up into Petro's spot. The Blues won the cup last year so they don't have to sign a long-term deal with Petro for a high cap amount if they don't want to. Petro is looking for one more long-term deal which will bring him to 37 or 38 years of age but teams are starting to look at those type of deals for players in their early 30's. Players always say they want to remain with their current team but since he has a cup ring, he'll be looking to be paid. Time will tell if he resigns or goes elsewhere.

Reactions: kb

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Hyman is signed for the year. Engvall for another 2. Soup will be cheap.
If they sign Dermott and pietro, 2 of holl and Marincin and callen could go.
It could be done...especially given that Anderson will most likely be moved before his contract is up.

I agree Soup will be cheap. Same with Dermott (I figure both will get roughly the same amount of AAV and contract length barring an overpayment for the first couple of years [so either two years at ~2M AAV or 5 years at ~4-4.5M]). I’d take a bath on Johnsson’s perceived value and trade him for a pick as salary dump or trade him for McCann or Tierney, and the same for Kerfoot. Sign a cheaper RHD that can skate but really is useless offensively (IE Tampa picking up Bogosian this year for $700K and he’s playing with Hedman) to pair with Reilly.

Ideally Johnsson traded first for someone like McCann or Tierney, then Kerfoot traded where it’s a salary dump trade then sign a cheap RHD.

I’d completely avoid the big fish on the UFA market unless they will sign for 4-5 years.

Reactions: Notsince67

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He is staying in St. Louis is my honest guess. For those wondering if he does go to UFA if he will get paid. Of course he will get big time money. Covid or not, big namer like him is going to get the big bucks, it is UFA after all, and there would be at least 7-8 (more likely 12-13)teams after him all bumping the price up.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I would be shocked if Pietrangelo’s AAV isn’t 10+. COVID or not, the guy is going to get paid. The premier guys aren’t getting squeezed, it’s the role players that will get screwed.

I would agree if teams had a little more advanced notice if that makes sense. But teams were 4 months out from free agency planning on a 84 million cap, most teams were probably planning on spending around that much in salary. Then suddenly not only is the cap staying at 81.5 which squeezes teams, but a huge portion of teams are going to be cutting salary costs to the point where the 81.5 number is mostly meaningless, they're going well below that. It's a 10 million dollar change in planning out of nowhere. Most teams didn't have more than 15-20 million in planning space below a 84 million cap to suddenly lose 10 million of that is going to be catastrophic.

According to CapFriendly the median Cap Hit before free agency is 68.547 million(Montreal). I would have did salary expenditures because that's more important in a covid world but I would have have to look at each page individually and don't have time. The median roster size is 17. A lot of these teams are going to have self imposed salaries capped in the 70's. For a team that caps it at 75 million that's a median of 6.5 million in salary space with 6 roster spots available. Sure there are teams with more, but most either have way more roster spots to fill(and important RFAs who will also be squeezed) or don't spend much anyway.

I don't think that it's just teams are going to be squeezed so they're going to choose to squeeze the middle guys, I think teams are going to be so squeezed that the middle guys are going to be completely squeezed dry but it won't be enough and teams will have no choice but to squeeze the high end guys as well. There's just no room.

The teams that are over their budget before we start are going to be forced to move guys from ownership, even if it takes a huge trade loss to happen. The teams that have space will likely use it to massively win trades that the other teams have no choice but to do. It's a great spot for those teams to be in. 1 or 2 of them might decline to give them a leg up for Hall or Pietrangelo, and if the fit it right it wouldn't shock me to see 10 million in such a scenario. But I'd put money on his contract starting with an 8 and think it's more likely that it starts with a 7 than a 10. Hall's might start with a 6. It's not fair, and it sounds insane, but most of the NHL is broke right now.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
If Pietro signs with Leafs, Habs will take Marner for Domi.

I think that would actually benefit both teams. Leafs would look scary with Pietro + Domi though.
And if Pietrangelo signs with the Habs, the Leafs get Suzuki for free!

Er, that’s how this works, right?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
For a short while two years ago. Either way I think both of us can agree that neither of the players in question are fourth liners.

Domi isn't in the same realm as Marner....at the age Marner scored 94 points Domi scored 38. Domi was on the fourth line less than 4 weeks ago....

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
And if Pietrangelo signs with the Habs, the Leafs get Suzuki for free!

Er, that’s how this works, right?

Try harder. If we could land Pietro + something of value (aka Domi) not something (for free lol give your head a shake) for Suzuki, I'd think about it.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Domi isn't in the same realm as Marner....at the age Marner scored 94 points Domi scored 38. Domi was on the fourth line less than 4 weeks ago....

Not saying Domi is better than Marner, like at all but at some point, you need to make a move because your team is built so wrong & pressure is getting higher.

If by any chance Leafs are lucky enough that Pietro wants to join, he's exactly what Leafs need but it comes at a price. Tavares, Matthews & Nylander (not a fan, soft as butter but is cap hit is what Leafs need) won't go, what else can they move to fit Pietro in?

Marner is the answer to make room, not Johnsson, not Gauthier, not Kerfoot, it won't be enough or if you move all of them, you're back at square one with no depth.

Domi is a top 6 forward, a LW (Hyman is on the 1st line for god sake), brings grit, will save you around 5M on cap + marketability in TOR (whether you like it or not). He hits around 45-50 pts with Habs.. he'd be a 60 pts player on Leafs roster with Matthews/Tavares.

30 points difference between the two to add Pietro (is there 1 team that needs a #1 RHD more than the Leafs?)... that's worth it.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Not saying Domi is better than Marner, like at all but at some point, you need to make a move because your team is built so wrong & pressure is getting higher.

If by any chance Leafs are lucky enough that Pietro wants to join, he's exactly what Leafs need but it comes at a price. Tavares, Matthews & Nylander (not a fan, soft as butter but is cap hit is what Leafs need) won't go, what else can they move to fit Pietro in?

Marner is the answer to make room, not Johnsson, not Gauthier, not Kerfoot, it won't be enough or if you move all of them, you're back at square one with no depth.

Domi is a top 6 forward, a LW (Hyman is on the 1st line for god sake), brings grit, will save you around 5M on cap + marketability in TOR (whether you like it or not). He hits around 45-50 pts with Habs.. he'd be a 60 pts player on Leafs roster with Matthews/Tavares.

30 points difference between the two to add Pietro (is there 1 team that needs a #1 RHD more than the Leafs?)... that's worth it.

If Pietrangelo comes, Marner isn't going. Nylander isn't going. AM & JT aren't going. There are tons of ways to make this work, and countless articles written about it. Dubas has said many times trading a 23 year old 90+ point winger is stupid and he's right. Not happening.

Reactions: Ciao
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad