Speculation: Alex Pietrangelo Megathread: contract talks with the Blues have stalled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
March I could see, but I don't think the return would be very good for Stastny.

100% would require Marner or Nylander dealt, and likely others as well.

I am not sold on bringing him in, to be honest. If the COVID never happened, sure, but now?

I wouldn't expect a great return for either. The entire purpose would solely be cap space if we had a Petro or OEL lined up. A 2nd or 3rd for Stastny. A decent 3rd line wing and futures for Marchie.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
No it wouldn't petro is not a defensive dman. He is a offensive dman. Quinn is only and offensive dman. So you want petro to play pure defense and Quinn be the offfense?

I think if Pie was asked to cover defensively and take fewer risks, he would be just as good as Tanev, perhaps better. He's got better physical tools, better breakout pass. He's always been asked to do more in his career though.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
March I could see, but I don't think the return would be very good for Stastny.

100% would require Marner or Nylander dealt, and likely others as well.

I am not sold on bringing him in, to be honest. If the COVID never happened, sure, but now?

I mean if you have 7 skaters+ Andersen taking 65M how do you ice an NHL lineup?

Pietro would be awesome but there's a limit on how many 9-11M contracts you can have, and Tavares+ Pietro would be on those on the wrong side of 30y for good amount of time.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It might be do-able for 2 seasons but Pietrangelo could be a huge mistake for Toronto in 3 years with no reason to think the cap will go past 83m any time soon. Trading Nylander won't solve it.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Petro's wife just had a baby yesterday. I am sure his primary focus right now is not on hockey.

I have said for a while if he leaves STL it was known he was going to leave prior to the Faulk trade. All the talk throughout the season didnt seem to make any sense. The Blues never put in any effort in trying to resign him. It was widely reported Armstrong didnt even speak with Petro's agent until the team played in Toronoto which I believe wasnt until January.

Everyone knows the Blues most important person to sign after the cup win was Petro but they made several other moves like Faulk and Schenn without saying a word to Petro's agent. That does not make sense under any circumstance unless there is other information that has not been made public.

It could also be something like a contract was already agreed to but they were waiting until after the season to sign it because other moves needed to be made first to stay under the off season cap, but then Covid happened and its thrown a wrench into the plans.

Either way the Blues' actions do not seem like there was any urgency in signing Petro so I think they either knew he what he was going to resign for, at least pre Covid, or knew he wasnt going to be resigned

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Petro's wife just had a baby yesterday. I am sure his primary focus right now is not on hockey.

I have said for a while if he leaves STL it was known he was going to leave prior to the Faulk trade. All the talk throughout the season didnt seem to make any sense. The Blues never put in any effort in trying to resign him. It was widely reported Armstrong didnt even speak with Petro's agent until the team played in Toronoto which I believe wasnt until January.

Everyone knows the Blues most important person to sign after the cup win was Petro but they made several other moves like Faulk and Schenn without saying a word to Petro's agent. That does not make sense under any circumstance unless there is other information that has not been made public.

It could also be something like a contract was already agreed to but they were waiting until after the season to sign it because other moves needed to be made first to stay under the off season cap, but then Covid happened and its thrown a wrench into the plans.

Either way the Blues' actions do not seem like there was any urgency in signing Petro so I think they either knew he what he was going to resign for, at least pre Covid, or knew he wasnt going to be resigned

Or it's more complicated than that because it's hard to sign a player of his age for that price and length and keep the depth necessary to contend. If what Pietro wants is a bit rich and Armstrong's trying to pitch him on winning more Cups, that's an involved process of figuring out what everyone else will make and what replacements might be available in the market. It definitely didn't have to be known that he'd sign or leave so far ahead of time to arrive at the current state of things - which, by the way, is still largely unknown.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
So the soft 3 time 60 pt player who has never cracked 30 goals is what’s considered “elite” these days. He is maybe a 7 million dollar player.
90 + point player for 82 consecutive games since dec 2018 (21 years old). Your team got a guy like that?

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
90 + point player for 82 consecutive games since dec 2018 (21 years old). Your team got a guy like that?

Yeah, C....R....O...S....B....Y. who doesn’t make 10 million and has rings to back up his contract. Does your team have any rings from the post lockout era. Heck does your team even have a 1st round win in the Marner era?

Reactions: Linds

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Marner: 291 points in 300 games
Domi : 251 points in 375 games
Translation
The difference between the two averages so far is a 44 pt/year player and it is getting higher every year.
Anyone who thinks this trade is close should get off the crack.
$10.9M-$3.2M=$7.7M
So is it wise in the salary cap era to pay a 44pt/year player $7.7M?

I'm not saying that the trade makes sense, but hockey trades have value beyond point totals and for Toronto to make the acquisitions the OP was speculating about they would have to clear a LOT of cap space, which increases the value of a player on a better deal. '80% solution at 30% cost' is actually a sound business decision, even if it would make some of the fans jump off their roofs.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Yeah, C....R....O...S....B....Y. who doesn’t make 10 million and has rings to back up his contract. Does your team have any rings from the post lockout era. Heck does your team even have a 1st round win in the Marner era?
Stop spitting at ur phone junior. 3 points in the playoffs. Better trade crosby for salary room by ur dumb logic

Last edited:

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
The Blues window closes if Pietrangelo is gone. It'd be stupid for St. Louis to let him go.
Give the Blues next year to sort out who they want to keep. Dump a lot of players at the trade deadline next year for picks and futures and start your 4 year rebuild. Armstrong would be gone and Bill Armstrong would oversee the draft and rebuild.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Yeah thats not true at all. The blues were built as a team not like toronto where they have 4 tremendous players and the rest men. Blues lost thier best goal scorer tarasrnko 10 games into the season still one division. 1 player can fall and the load shifts to other players. Petro missed 10 12 games and parayko stepped up.

I think to say if petro goes so do chances of blues winning is just irrational

Pie’s production and play eclipses every other DMAN and hell, Most of the Forwards on the squad. Their window slams shut if he walks, he and ROR are THE pieces of their puzzle.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Pie’s production and play eclipses every other DMAN and hell, Most of the Forwards on the squad. Their window slams shut if he walks, he and ROR are THE pieces of their puzzle.
I'd say anyone not named Thomas, ROR, Parayko or anyone under 23 years old, would be available for futures.

DRAGO 18

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh
Does the Brodin deal impact the Pietrangelo contract at all? (i.e. "defensive defenseman making 6 a year over 7 years) increase the annual salary of an "all-around" defenseman in Pietrangelo?

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Or it's more complicated than that because it's hard to sign a player of his age for that price and length and keep the depth necessary to contend. If what Pietro wants is a bit rich and Armstrong's trying to pitch him on winning more Cups, that's an involved process of figuring out what everyone else will make and what replacements might be available in the market. It definitely didn't have to be known that he'd sign or leave so far ahead of time to arrive at the current state of things - which, by the way, is still largely unknown.

I get what you are saying but Armstrong didnt speak with Petro's agent until well into the season. It is hard to do any of the above if you don't know what Petro is looking for. If what we have been told is true, and both sides pretty much confirmed it, and Armstrong didnt speak to Petro's agent until the team was in Toronto then he made the Faulk trade and signing with no indication of what it would take to sign Petro. Therefore your hypothetical of Petro wanting more than Army was willing to give him would have no merit on any moves made prior to mid January. Unless there was other highly important information known I cannot think of any reason Army would not have reached out much much sooner

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I get what you are saying but Armstrong didnt speak with Petro's agent until well into the season. It is hard to do any of the above if you don't know what Petro is looking for. If what we have been told is true, and both sides pretty much confirmed it, and Armstrong didnt speak to Petro's agent until the team was in Toronto then he made the Faulk trade and signing with no indication of what it would take to sign Petro. Therefore your hypothetical of Petro wanting more than Army was willing to give him would have no merit on any moves made prior to mid January. Unless there was other highly important information known I cannot think of any reason Army would not have reached out much much sooner

The same logic also says Armstrong couldn't have known Pietro wanted to go to free agency that early.

I'm not proposing a hypothetical, I'm saying any one of those could be true as well as other scenarios given the information we actually know. You're claiming to be able to infer too much.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
$10.9M-$3.2M=$7.7M
So is it wise in the salary cap era to pay a 44pt/year player $7.7M?

I'm not saying that the trade makes sense, but hockey trades have value beyond point totals and for Toronto to make the acquisitions the OP was speculating about they would have to clear a LOT of cap space, which increases the value of a player on a better deal. '80% solution at 30% cost' is actually a sound business decision, even if it would make some of the fans jump off their roofs.

Dumbest post of all time. There are FINITE roster places. You can't just add 44 points. You pay the 7m+ not only because Marner gives up UFA years that Domi doesn't, but because he's 2-3x the more valuable player while taking up one roster spot.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Kerfoot and Johnsson both don’t have negative value. At the very least a cash strapped team will take them for a pick or prospect because their large bonuses have been paid already.

Kerfoot has a salary of 2.67M for the next 3 seasons and Johnsson 2.87M for the next 3 seasons.

This can be very valuable for the right team. Much better then overpaying a washed up vet.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Kerfoot and Johnsson both don’t have negative value. At the very least a cash strapped team will take them for a pick or prospect because their large bonuses have been paid already.

Kerfoot has a salary of 2.67M for the next 3 seasons and Johnsson 2.87M for the next 3 seasons.

This can be very valuable for the right team. Much better then overpaying a washed up vet.
Kerfoot is not worth the 3.5 cap. At least not with what he showed in Toronto. Johnson is a better value but there will be questions with his previous injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad