Rumor: Alex Pietrangelo discussion #2- Will it happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Just sharing this article I found...

Blues, Alex Pietrangelo Discussing New Deal

Blues, Alex Pietrangelo Discussing New Deal

While word emerged last month that the Blues had advised their captain Alex Pietrangelo to test the open market, the two sides have re-engaged in conversations in the hours leading up to the opening of the market, reports Jeremy Rutherford of The Athletic (subscription link). They have already lost the ability to offer him an eight-year deal, however, and are now capped at offering seven like any other team.
Rutherford cautions that no real progress has been made in talks at this point but it appears that St. Louis is willing to be more flexible in the structuring of their offer. The team does not offer signing bonuses or no-move clauses but perhaps there is some wiggle room in that area now as they look to make a last-ditch effort to keep Pietrangelo.
With roughly $5MM in cap space to work with, St. Louis would need to clear out some salary to be able to afford to keep the 30-year-old around. Rutherford reports that it’s believed teams are willing to take on the final year of Tyler Bozak’s $5MM deal but that the Blues would need to provide an incentive to clear out the center. Justin Faulk’s $6.5MM pact for seven seasons could also be in play but again would require a sweetener to move. Those options will only likely be considered if St. Louis can keep their top defender in the fold by getting Pietrangelo to sign on the dotted line.

They're messing with us to keep the trade "frenzy" active. He's probably already re-signed

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Would love Pietrangelo, but man, can't get over how 60% of the flat cap would be tied to five players. An extremely solid five-player core no doubt, but that'll need a lot of maneuvering to make all the other pieces fit.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I'm not overly for the Pieterangelo deal. But you know Dubas is about to move heaven and earth to make it happen. Trust me.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I'm not overly for the Pieterangelo deal. But you know Dubas is about to move heaven and earth to make it happen. Trust me.

I agree, I'm not entirely for signing him. But what makes you think Dubas is going all in to make it happen? I've seen no recent news about us clearing cap space. And other teams seem way more Pietrangelo-ready.

I think there's next to no chance he signs here, and I'm ok with it.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I agree, I'm not entirely for signing him. But what makes you think Dubas is going all in to make it happen? I've seen no recent news about us clearing cap space. And other teams seem way more Pietrangelo-ready.

Which teams seem more Pietrangelo ready? Of the 3 teams mentioned most often, the Leafs have the most cap space currently.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
If he doesn't come here I'm going to do burnouts in front of his Nonna's house.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Pietrangelois is the captain and anchor of that team. It would be foolish to let him go. I've long suspected that he was using free agency as leverage for a better contract offer from the Blues. I hope I'm wrong.

That said, I don't think Dubas wants to break up the core of the forwards. He even promised that Nylander would not be traded when he signed him. Who's next to clear up (THAT MUCH) cap space if Pietrangelo is available? That would be Marner, and I highly doubt the Leafs incompetent GM would consider that radical move. Remember, his philosophy is high skill offense over defense.

If I was to guess, Dubas is more likely to go after TJ Brodie, who incidentally, did not have a good season for the Flames. That would be a classic Leafs move to go after a former star on the rapid decline.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I felt good about Tavares despite the rumours we weren't the favourites to sign him.

I do not feel good about signing Pietrangelo. I still think he ends up back in St-Louis. Part of me hopes he stays there and the Leafs don't have to do flips to make him fit.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Why would they clear cap space if they don't know where he'll sign? And it would pretty easy to do - Nylander/marner

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Which teams seem more Pietrangelo ready? Of the 3 teams mentioned most often, the Leafs have the most cap space currently.

But VGK is known to be clearing space. They've been shopping Fleury hard, and are working on a Stastny deal. They seem like they're getting their ducks lines up, from what I can see.

Columbus, too, just moved cap space and roster space on their blueline.

I don't hear similar info about Johnsson or Holl or Kerfoot, for us to make room.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I felt good about Tavares despite the rumours we weren't the favourites to sign him.

I do not feel good about signing Pietrangelo. I still think he ends up back in St-Louis. Part of me hopes he stays there and the Leafs don't have to do flips to make him fit.

Yeah I'm ok either way
We get him, we land the big d-man we've been waiting for
We don't, we probably get 2 d-men and have more flexibiity

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Today is a big day for Dubas and our Leafs going forward based on the outcome of free agency.
I've read we're expecting Malgin and Rodriguez on the 4th line, so not sure we'll be that active.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
But VGK is known to be clearing space. They've been shopping Fleury hard, and are working on a Stastny deal. They seem like they're getting their ducks lines up, from what I can see.

Columbus, too, just moved cap space and roster space on their blueline.

I don't hear similar info about Johnsson or Holl or Kerfoot, for us to make room.
Columbus needs to clear space to sign their on RFA's.

Vegas needs to move 3 high ticket players to fit him in. Even after Stastny, the Leafs still have way more cap space.

You don't hear it because this morning a reporter says that Dubas already knows the price he can get for whomever he wants to move out. And there is always a cone of silence around the Leafs, no leaks.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

If heaven or earth means Kerfoot or Mango I agree. He knows what it would take and if he was genuinely intent on it I think we would see more smoke. Why isn't he clearing any cap unless maybe other UFAs are his plan A?

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Columbus needs to clear space to sign their on RFA's.

Vegas needs to move 3 high ticket players to fit him in. Even after Stastny, the Leafs still have way more cap space.

You don't hear it because this morning a reporter says that Dubas already knows the price he can get for whomever he wants to move out. And there is always a cone of silence around the Leafs, no leaks.

Fair point. I didn't hear that report.

I still don't see it happening. But maybe that's just my opinion peppering my perception.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Speaking of Brodie, he would already be a Leaf today if not for Kadri refusing to go to Calgary last year, so the rumour goes.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Fair point. I didn't hear that report.

I still don't see it happening. But maybe that's just my opinion peppering my perception.
I think it's completely up in the air at the moment. Hard race to handicap.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I really can't see how Petro circles back to the Blues unless they give in to him demands or no other team will meet them. I mean if they really wanted him, it should have been done.

Remember what happened with Stamkos?

Sometimes it just about hearing what other teams have to offer and see your worth in the market. Blues are being financially responsible at this point and not willing to give into player demands in an uncertain Covid and Cap world, however I wouldn't be surprised if AP circled back to the Blues with a current valid market offer and give his current team the last & final say on this issue to determine this outcome.

If I were in his shoes this is certainly what I would do, if my heart wasn't really into leaving.

Reactions: Myopic

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Remember what happened with Stamkos?

Sometimes it just about hearing what other teams have to offer and see your worth in the market. Blues are being financially responsible at this point and not willing to give into player demands in an uncertain Covid and Cap world, however I wouldn't be surprised if AP circled back to the Blues with a current valid market offer and give his current team the last & final say on this issue to determine this outcome.

If I were in his shoes this is certainly what I would do, if my heart wasn't really into leaving.

I remember. Lou blew it.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
IIRC, Winnipeg cleared cap space in an attempt to re-sign Stastny once upon a time. Ultimately, Stastny chose to sign with VGK. Tough to say if VGK clearing cap space now will help with signing Pietrangelo. Fair to say CBJ could be a contender here too. I'm less optimistic about him re-signing with STL. With things getting to this point, I find myself liking Toronto's chances quite a bit more. Interested to see the final destination to this journey.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
If heaven or earth means Kerfoot or Mango I agree. He knows what it would take and if he was genuinely intent on it I think we would see more smoke. Why isn't he clearing any cap unless maybe other UFAs are his plan A?

He is fighting for his life.He doesn't care about 5 years from now. If he can he will sign him. Just is... Brodie won't do shy. De.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $365.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark