Rumor: Alex Pietrangelo discussion #2- Will it happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Maple Leafs in talks with Pietrangelo
20 minutes ago

"General manager Kyle Dubas confirmed Friday that he has spoken with Alex Pietrangelo's agent, Don Meehan, as the Toronto Maple Leafs explore the possibility of adding the most coveted UFA of the class.
""We have flexibility. It's just a matter of how big a splash we want to make," said Dubas, who signed Wayne Simmonds earlier in the day.
Paying for such an expensive defenceman long-term could be cap-restrictive for the Maple Leafs down the road, especially with the salary cap remaining flat for an undetermined number of years.
"We have to be mindful of that as we navigate these waters," Dubas warned.
Dubas made his pitch to Meehan but has not spoken yet with Pietrangelo directly. Dubas want details of those talks to remain private.
No team currently spends more of its budget on forwards, so bringing in such a big fish would necessitate another move.
Dubas is hoping to help sell potential free agents on the chance to win with a talented offensive group.
The Maple Leafs are still looking to upgrade the right side of their defence and add sandpaper to their bottom six, and Dubas believes options for that still exist in free agency and trade.
“We’re trying to remain as patient and as flexible as possible,” Dubas said.
The Vegas Golden Knights are also among those gunning for Pietrangelo, and the St. Louis Blues cannot be ruled out either."
-Jeremy Rutherford (@jprutherford) October 9, 2020
Thats pretty encouraging.

Reactions: rmyk and Myopic

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Kawhi Leonard left a team that just won an NBA championship to go home. Let's hope Pietrangelo does the same.
He also did the Batman rejection just to buy Clippers time to get the players he wants to play with on the Clippers. Wondering if DelZotto signing with Leafs will work?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Just took a look at Cap Friendly.
On Vegas, only Stone got a Bonus driven contract, where Lehner's deal only had bonus in the first year(signing).
If Leafs can do more Bonus upfront like all their contracts, that might just be the difference.

34Matthews

Oct 3, 2013
while waiting for Petro.. most other teams are getting their guys. Once he signs elsewhere then we will hear about how we tried..really hard.. to upgrade our D.. Im ok with adding a few tougher pieces but they will all be gone before Dubas decides who he wants and can afford.

Reactions: brhymes19

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
There's the understatement of the year.

Are you quoting me? I don't remember saying that.

I don't think the Leafs have ever had a chance to land a #1 d-man the quality of Pietragelo, who some might argue, is still in his prime. If you've got a shot at one of those you take it.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
while waiting for Petro.. most other teams are getting their guys. Once he signs elsewhere then we will hear about how we tried..really hard.. to upgrade our D.. Im ok with adding a few tougher pieces but they will all be gone before Dubas decides who he wants and can afford.
Does the trade route not exist anymore? People are freaking out for no reason.

str8kila

May 5, 2016
Maybe the limitations r time? Maybe they give him till say noon tmrw or Monday? Then they need to move on . Or maybe there isn't any limitations on contract structure. Who knows we r all reading into it different

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Are you quoting me? I don't remember saying that.

I don't think the Leafs have ever had a chance to land a #1 d-man the quality of Pietragelo, who some might argue, is still in his prime. If you've got a shot at one of those you take it.

It was in your post.......I believe it was someone else that actually said it.

I like AP a lot......I hope if they sign him that KD has a better plan to deal with the costs than he did with JT.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Carlo C said he just got off the phone with him.

He said

-st l is still there
-Toronto is a strong possibility.
-Vegas is a possibility as well.

said that they talk most days. He talks to him multiple times a day. He clearly is doing that for a reason. Why would you talk to a radio host from your hometown? It makes no sense.

str8kila

May 5, 2016
LeBrun says his gut still thinks vegas . Says that all 3 teams . Toronto. St louis and vegas would have to make moves after he signed to free up money. Said that there is a team in on him that if they got it would effect a certain defensemen on that team. Gotta think its a vegas player. Either Martinez or Schmidt would be shipped out. Cant see it being parayko

bpower

Aug 21, 2005
Carlo C said he just got off the phone with him.

He said

-st l is still there
-Toronto is a strong possibility.
-Vegas is a possibility as well.

said that they talk most days. He talks to him multiple times a day. He clearly is doing that for a reason. Why would you talk to a radio host from your hometown? It makes no sense.

They were teammates?

Reactions: TheKnucklePuck

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Most likely were told he's going to another team so they have other plans in place... sign Brodie etc.

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
I smell a Stamkos #2 under normal circumstances but St Louis is staunchly against signing bonuses. As soon as this happens if it does, we are trending in to a entirely different period.
The changes that will be necessary to structure him in would be significant..

$8,000,000 A.P with $6,106,000 space right now. So .......

I've heard a rumor Florida may e willig to trade Mackezie Weeger

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Move Nylander and we can still sign Pietro. Tavares can play with less wingers, he made moulson a 30 goal scorer multiple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad