Rumor: Alex Pietrangelo discussion #2- Will it happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
And this current year coming up is technically our 5th year of the Shanaplan get it right!

This is technically the 7th draft Shanahan has been in the organization for, as his regime started months before the 2014 William Nylander draft - which he had some input on having played with William's dad.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
I think it's Vegas or Leafs now.

Don't see St Louis on a 7-year deal looking as appealing when teams start tossing signing bonuses and NMCs his way tomorrow.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Vegas and Leafs with Nucks and Panthers in the mix.
Can Vegas just sign Hall and let us have Pietra.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Its definitely Vegas. They're already moving out salary to make it work. They must know it's them.
there's like a million reasons to clear up salary at this point, number 1 is that they're currently over the cap and have no choice. They very well could sign Pietrangelo, but it's not a given

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I really dislike how desperate the Blue Jackets are to dump salary all of a sudden. The Jarmo connection also has me a bit nervous, though you'd think us being his hometown plays in our favour along with the general batshit insanity that is the USA right now.

Last edited:

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
I still don't belive the Vegas theory. Vegas HAVE to move salary anyway. They are already over the cap. I know they can be, but they can hardly do anything now, whether it's Pietro or anybody else.

Why would a 30 year old guy with 4 little kids move to a completely new city without any family connection is just beyond me. It is still St.Louis or Toronto, the other options are only being used for negotiation tactics.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Why would a 30 year old guy with 4 little kids move to a completely new city without any family connection is just beyond me. It is still St.Louis or Toronto, the other options are only being used for negotiation tactics.

Hard to say. He can afford nannys and nice private schools for the kids wherever he goes. He might like nightlife too. Then again, he might want to get out of the limelight and go someplace quieter. Or warmer. Wife might have an input either way.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
The longer this has gone on the more unlikely I feel that he'll sign here. I'm fine with it though. We'll end up filling a few spots instead of getting a star player if that's how it goes. Still would love to have him.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
The longer this has gone on the more unlikely I feel that he'll sign here. I'm fine with it though. We'll end up filling a few spots instead of getting a star player if that's how it goes. Still would love to have him.
Isn't it the opposite.

The longer it goes the better our chances.

No one heard a peep when Tavares chose us.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I really can't see how Petro circles back to the Blues unless they give in to him demands or no other team will meet them. I mean if they really wanted him, it should have been done.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Just sharing this article I found...

Blues, Alex Pietrangelo Discussing New Deal

Blues, Alex Pietrangelo Discussing New Deal

While word emerged last month that the Blues had advised their captain Alex Pietrangelo to test the open market, the two sides have re-engaged in conversations in the hours leading up to the opening of the market, reports Jeremy Rutherford of The Athletic (subscription link). They have already lost the ability to offer him an eight-year deal, however, and are now capped at offering seven like any other team.
Rutherford cautions that no real progress has been made in talks at this point but it appears that St. Louis is willing to be more flexible in the structuring of their offer. The team does not offer signing bonuses or no-move clauses but perhaps there is some wiggle room in that area now as they look to make a last-ditch effort to keep Pietrangelo.
With roughly $5MM in cap space to work with, St. Louis would need to clear out some salary to be able to afford to keep the 30-year-old around. Rutherford reports that it’s believed teams are willing to take on the final year of Tyler Bozak’s $5MM deal but that the Blues would need to provide an incentive to clear out the center. Justin Faulk’s $6.5MM pact for seven seasons could also be in play but again would require a sweetener to move. Those options will only likely be considered if St. Louis can keep their top defender in the fold by getting Pietrangelo to sign on the dotted line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad