Rumor: Alex Pietrangelo discussion #2- Will it happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I agree on him bolting. There are a lot of young stars in Canadian markets. Auston being American would be huge in a big market like LA for example. I could see a lot of pressure on him to sign in a market like that.

That's my guess if he does decide to leave.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Unfortunately, it seems that Kid Kyle subscribes to the same philosophy as many fans. When a big name UFA is available for "just cash", then you must sign him.

He got caught up in being the guy that brought JT home. My guess is he's about to do the same thing with AP.

Then we can all marvel at all the elite talent he has acquired, and brag to our friends that are fans of other teams about them while they watch their teams win playoff rounds.
yup , he was too busy patting himself on the back and didn't realize he just f***ed our cap

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Nylander is very good passer, and his ability make a good pass only helps his shooting ability. IF the Leafs trade Marner to make room for AP, I could see Hyman/Mathews/Nylander line. Then Mikheyev/JT/Robertson. JT has had history of making his wingers better. He doesn't need Marner. I don't see any problems with the lines.

He's a good passer but a selfish player, which when you have the skill he has that is not an unusual character trait.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I agree on him bolting. There are a lot of young stars in Canadian markets. Auston being American would be huge in a big market like LA for example. I could see a lot of pressure on him to sign in a market like that.
i don't think he'd care about any pressure to sign in the US but i do see him as a west coast type of guy and i'd put one of the Cali teams at the top of his list if he does bolt

Reactions: egd27

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
.. Except AP fills the team's biggest need that's been a need for a long time.

It does. My concern is how many other needs get neglected or created by filling it with an $8-9M player.

You've been around a while, do you recall the "the Pens won cups with a patchwork defense" argument?
That was quite popular for a while among the Dubas fanatics, was it all BS ?

Reactions: hotpaws

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
If we ever made this Pietrangelo thing work, it would be premised on only spending money on him and then trading guys like Dermott, Johnsson and company elsewhere to make cap room, would bring back an additional return, that could help the team address other needs. We would be killing two birds with one stone.

The scenario you described is like killing one bird with one stone, and also based on the Blues choosing Petro over Parakyo, which doesn’t appear to be their preference. And we get the worse defenseman in the end.

Like I said, Pietrangelo is the best option for us.

I don’t agree with you. Apparently, the last few years Paryako has been the Blues shut down dman, getting most of the dzone starts, while Pietrangelo has been getting the ozone starts.
He is not the big shut down defender he used to be.

Censored23

May 20, 2011
Just out of curiosity, and not sure if its already been asked here, but are there any LTIR contracts the Leafs could take on in order to go above the cap limit and fit everyone?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Just out of curiosity, and not sure if its already been asked here, but are there any LTIR contracts the Leafs could take on in order to go above the cap limit and fit everyone?
what-if-i-5b6c5b.jpg

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
It is called supply and demand. Nobody held a gun to Dubas' head. Dubas paid the market price for a UFA.
yup he paid market price for a ufa , doesn't mean he's worth the salary

it's like saying Clarkson was worth his contract because NoNo paid market price and also lower since there was the corresponding rumor of another team offering more which in this case was Edm

Reactions: ToneDog

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
based on what exactly ?
Based on him playing with Zach and Mitch and we got a 90 point player here again. He will produce more with right fit wingers. Needs a bigger winger who can create space and get pucks. and helps to have a guy who can give him da sweet finishes. also all 3 guys trained in G hockey.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
you don't get 1 extra penny of cap space by adding ltir contracts since whatever you can go over the cap is taken up by the contract you put on ltir

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Based on him playing with Zach and Mitch and we got a 90 point player here again. He will produce more with right fit wingers. Needs a bigger winger who can create space and get pucks. and helps to have a guy who can give him da sweet finishes. also all 3 guys trained in G hockey.
based on how we got worse and the Islanders got much better i'd say he isn't worth his deal

11m dollar players should be game changers , not just a guy who can vulture points around the net

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Bob Mackenzie already reported Matthews camp came to the negotiating table seeking an 8 year deal. It was Dubas who wanted less term; a lower salary to provide wiggle room.

You’re right about team friendly though.

Yes, he did. But at what number? That's the key. If he came in at McDavid or higher that's a non starter. So it's basically like saying im not really looking for an 8 year deal. Whereas McDavid took far less money than he could have to ensure a long term deal. This tells me Matthews doesn't view Toronto as his long term hockey home. So I would treat him the same way.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
based on how we got worse and the Islanders got much better i'd say he isn't worth his deal

11m dollar players should be game changers , not just a guy who can vulture points around the net
Well we got lots of other guys in same boat ... I would argue none of our guys today are game changers ... Matty likely will become our only 1 next season as his game is progressing nicely
Willy might but he has issues with zone trap playoff hockey
Mitch same thing

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Morgan is a 1st pairing LHD but I can't argue with the rest of your post. I would go as far as stating we need to completely rebuild the 3rd and 4th line, into a checking, grinding, PK / defensively minded type players. Guys you throw out with 2 minutes left in the game with a one goal lead.

What I fear is Dubas will just continue to add small skilled players with defensive issues, keep throwing them out because he thinks a hockey version (all skill / all show) of the Harlem Globetrotters is going to win you a cup.

We have (2) 1st line RW, one guy everyone wants to play with and one guy that can't find a center.

I don't like debating Reilly on here, but he's not effective as a top pair D. Your top pair should be put out in all situations including shutting down the other team's top line. There's no way that describes Morgan. Morgan is a great pick mover, who should be put in situations where he can use his offensive skills. Ideally he's 3rd pair, but also used on PP and offensive zone starts.

The issue with our forward lines is you need one of your top two minute lines to be an effective checking line, but also be able to score. In theory that could be Hyman-Tavares and someone who plays a heavy game.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
i don't think he'd care about any pressure to sign in the US but i do see him as a west coast type of guy and i'd put one of the Cali teams at the top of his list if he does bolt

I don't think he cares about playing in the US from a patriotic standpoint or anything. I just think his people, NBC, and even the league would love to have him be the face of the league down south. He can't do that playing in Toronto. I think he'll be pressured to sign in the US.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Reactions: Bluelines

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Nylander is very good passer, and his ability make a good pass only helps his shooting ability. IF the Leafs trade Marner to make room for AP, I could see Hyman/Mathews/Nylander line. Then Mikheyev/JT/Robertson. JT has had history of making his wingers better. He doesn't need Marner. I don't see any problems with the lines.

He's a good passer but a selfish player, which when you have the skill he has that is not an unusual character trait. I'm not convinced he is the best winger for Matthews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad