Rumor: Alex Pietrangelo discussion #2- Will it happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Yeah, I read about it last night and thought of that post. f***ing time travellers and their Google links

Let this be a lesson to you and A1 just because there is not a link on the web , it does not make the rumor less true .. ;)

Hey I know stuff about a former HOF goalie who played with the Montreal Toilet Seats, no link on the web, but it's first hand info from a former girlfriend. I know stuff about a future HOF goalie who currently plays on the Montreal Toilet Seats because I know his former goalie coach. I know stuff about the Montreal Toilet Seats plans for this draft, I know who the top 3 players are that they are going to target in this years draft because I heard it directly from one of their top executive's mouths. When I say top, I mean tippy top. Lots of stuff can be true you don't need a link to make it true.

Heck am I an Insider...? :) :P

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Let this be a lesson to you and A1 just because there is not a link on the web , it does not make the rumor less true .. ;)

Hey I know stuff about a former HOF goalie who played with the Montreal Toilet Seats, no link on the web, but it's first hand info from a former girlfriend. I know stuff about a future HOF goalie who currently plays on the Montreal Toilet Seats because I know his former goalie coach. I know stuff about the Montreal Toilet Seats plans for this draft, I know who the top 3 players are that they are going to target in this years draft because I heard it directly from one of their top executive's mouths. When I say top, I mean tippy top. Lots of stuff can be true you don't need a link to make it true.

Heck am I an Insider...? :) :P
Didn't you say to google it?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I don’t know for some people. Easy for me, I don’t fu**** moan about it constantly for two fu***** years
again , we're talking about signing a high priced ufa , how the f*** can you avoid talking about the cap ?

i guess we should all be like . lol , we'll sign Petro and trade Andy/Johnson/Kerfoot for 1st's plus quality prospects and then replace them with similar or better players for the league min and then replenish our prospect pool with the 4 1sts we traded for in a stacked draft class

would that make you happy to read endless positive posts which have zero chance of happening ?

Reactions: axlrose87 and egd27

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I don’t know for some people. Easy for me, I don’t fu**** moan about it constantly for two fu***** years
People really need to get a life. Whining on Hfboards is not a life.

Glass is half full here. Because at any point players could be traded for a great return, so it kinda renders the naysaying moot.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
this is literally a thread about signing a player to a contract , how the f*** do you avoid past contracts when discussing the cap implications of signing Petro ?

What is there to say beyond “the contracts currently on this team will make it difficult to sign someone like Pietrangelo?” How many times can we all rehash the negotiations and how overpaid everybody is? Until this team decides to trade one of them we’re stuck with their contracts and cap hits. Gotta live with it.

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
this is literally a thread about signing a player to a contract , how the f*** do you avoid past contracts when discussing the cap implications of signing Petro ?
I think it's fine to discuss the Marleau contract, because......well you know why. :laugh:

Reactions: hotpaws

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
again , we're talking about signing a high priced ufa , how the f*** can you avoid talking about the cap ?

i guess we should all be like . lol , we'll sign Petro and trade Andy/Johnson/Kerfoot for 1st's plus quality prospects and then replace them with similar or better players for the league min and then replenish our prospect pool with the 4 1sts we traded for in a stacked draft class

would that make you happy to read endless positive posts which have zero chance of happening ?

The 2nd paragraph does describe a great deal of posts in here for sure.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
What is there to say beyond “the contracts currently on this team will make it difficult to sign someone like Pietrangelo?” How many times can we all rehash the negotiations and how overpaid everybody is? Until this team decided to trade one of them we’re stuck with their contracts and cap hits. Gotta live with it.
It's because what you are saying requires reasoning and sound logic.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
You are a great GM!!!

Can was sign Taylor Hall while we are at it too? We will have 2 forward lines and 4 defencemen, we will be half of an all start team... :)

We won the A division in the Scarborough Men's League in '84 with 2 centres, 3 sets of wingers, 4 d and a goalie. If they were willing to do that we could have an awesome team.

Reactions: Bluelines

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Anyone still complaining about contracts might be living in the past a bit to much. Every fu**** thread.
The overpayments are the reason the team lacks depth and is mediocre. So I don’t see the DIRECT cause of the teams problems just being ignored going forward. The overpayments will constantly be pointed out. Get used to it.

You can’t really talk about the leafs without mentioning. Watch. I think there’s literally no chance that Pietrangelo comes to Toronto. Why? Specifically because there isn’t enough room for him due to the overpayments.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
These threads are so toxic lately. Two posters in particular are making discussion unbearable. Different opinions are awesome on here but the way you guys are going about it makes me think you’re children. But one of you is a sponsor ffs.

This off seasons plan can’t come fast enough. I’m in the sign AP camp, but if they go another direction then there are definitely positives to be gained. Let’s just get to it!
I'm looking forward to this. I can imagine the trades will pick up closer to the draft as teams are evaluating and leveraging offers at this point.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
7300 posts in 11 years vs 11000+ posts in 9 years. Kinda think that irony is lost on the poster who posted about irony.

The Leafs are set up to go in any direction they choose. They have no anchor contracts.

Tavares might soon be an anchor contract, if not already.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The overpayments are the reason the team lacks depth and is mediocre. So I don’t see the DIRECT cause of the teams problems just being ignored going forward. The overpayments will constantly be pointed out. Get used to it.

You can’t really talk about the leafs without mentioning. Watch. I think there’s literally no chance that Pietrangelo comes to Toronto. Why? Specifically because there isn’t enough room for him due to the overpayments.
We had a $10,100,000 third line that wasn’t much good for our chemistry as a group. They didn’t have much effect on adding another dimension to our play is what I’m trying to say. They can all go and bring in defensive ,gritty players that are still very good for much cheaper. There is option there by moving them and cap space. We know we need more energy players. Robertson style bottom six is the types we need. Younger and physical preferably.

Reactions: Menzinger

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
We had a $10,100,000 third line that wasn’t much good for our chemistry as a group. They didn’t have much effect on adding another dimension to our play is what I’m trying to say. They can all go and bring in defensive ,gritty players that are still very good for much cheaper. There is option there by moving them and cap space. We know we need more energy players. Robertson style bottom six is the types we need. Younger and physical preferably.
Funny how the Kapanen, Johnsson, and (to a lesser extent) the Kerfoot contracts were all seen as Dubas “steals” when signed...

One season later and they’re our cap holes that need to go and make room. Not the overpayments. The “steals”.

Reactions: egd27 and ToneDog

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Funny how the Kapanen, Johnsson, and (to a lesser extent) the Kerfoot contracts were all seen as Dubas “steals” when signed...

One season later and they’re our cap holes that need to go and make room. Not the overpayments. The “steals”.
Maybe they could have helped more and didn’t

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
In the interest of staying on topic while trying not to offend anyone, I will say this.

Whether or not you think some of the contracts are bad or not, they represent a significant percentage of a limited pie, leaving a finite amount to spend on other players. Simple fact.

By adding another player in the $8-9M range, it further reduces the amount that can be spent on the remaining players. Simple fact.

Some believe that a team can compete with some 60% of it's cap tied up in 5 players. I do not share that opinion. I can find no evidence of it happening in the cap era, and again IMO, I doubt you ever see it.

If Mr. Dubas believes that is the route to take, then I hope for his sake he is correct. If he is not, I doubt he works as an NHL GM for a very long time, if ever.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Maybe they were paid too much based on too little. Johnsson got $12 mil for 45 career points at the age of 25.
Marner had 1 less goal and more points than both Kerfoot and Johnsson in half the games approximately. I think that third line killed us and 1 is gone already. Two more mistakes to fix. Long as they are fixed I’m fine with it. Johnsson and Kerfoot need to go

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I’d like to bring him in, but the math doesn’t work for me. You can’t have 5 guys taking up roughly 60% of your cap. I am guessing he’ll come in at 8.5-9M a year? Didn’t teams that just went to the final, and even the 2 other final 4 teams, show that you need actual depth in order to go far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad