Confirmed with Link: Alex Nylander traded to Chicago for Henri Jokiharju

Member 308457

Nylander wasn't working in Buffalo for several reasons. There weren't enough good players to plug him into and management couldn't handle how to motivate him. According to Nylander, "(Chicago is) Really good with development players, so they actually know what they're doing." Sounds like a backhand slap to the Buffalo development team and you know what? He's right. As for Jokiharju, we'll see. All I can see at this point is a #8 for a #29 and an overloaded d corps. There's still a lack of scoring but we're a work in progress...as usual.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I am not sure what to make of the trade. I think I am happy. Nylander showed flashes of having it all--size, skating, puck skills-but somehow it was like a dragonfly--off and on. Yeah he was rushed, yeah the coaching or lack of it and the constant change did not help. But I think effort should be non stop even if - especially if-you are trying to make the team. Did things come too easy to him too early? Did he think he was entitled? I don't know but we sure did not see him try to put his best foot forward too often. He and we needed change--before his value diminished and his ability to make himself a pro just ebbed away.
As for Jokiharju He is another average sized RD with good skating skills and some ability to move the puck. He is young and cost controlled. We have a bunch of those guys and I do not know where he will rank. Still he will likely be easier to move if it comes to that and his position is one where we ought to get optimal value.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I am not sure what to make of the trade. I think I am happy. Nylander showed flashes of having it all--size, skating, puck skills-but somehow it was like a dragonfly--off and on. Yeah he was rushed, yeah the coaching or lack of it and the constant change did not help. But I think effort should be non stop even if - especially if-you are trying to make the team. Did things come too easy to him too early? Did he think he was entitled? I don't know but we sure did not see him try to put his best foot forward too often. He and we needed change--before his value diminished and his ability to make himself a pro just ebbed away.
As for Jokiharju He is another average sized RD with good skating skills and some ability to move the puck. He is young and cost controlled. We have a bunch of those guys and I do not know where he will rank. Still he will likely be easier to move if it comes to that and his position is one where we ought to get optimal value.

Do a little more research on Jokiharju and watch some video of his play, then look at his analytics, and you'll know you're happy.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Finnish J is always pronounced the same way, there are no exceptions for Finnish names. Yokiharyu. Hard R(Finnish has no soft R).

Writing Finnish names for English speakers the way most resembling the original is quite a fun game :) I would go for Yokehuryou, the first "u" as in "hurry", and the stress always, yes, literally always, on the first syllable. Laine would be maybe Lieneh and Aho simply impossible...

Reactions: Ginger Papa

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Writing Finnish names for English speakers the way most resembling the original is quite a fun game :) I would go for Yokehuryou, the first "u" as in "hurry", and the stress always, yes, literally always, on the first syllable. Laine would be maybe Lieneh and Aho simply impossible...
Finnish names always start representing Japanese ones, I find. Well, they're often pronounced the same way so if a person's familiar with Japanese, that can help...

Reactions: llwyd

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Well, some linguists have speculated that Finnish and Japanese might be related :) Certainly pronouncing Japanese words is pretty easy for Finnish speakers - though the grammar is simply insane...

The HF Etymology Team has concluded that both countries were founded by aliens disguised as reindeer.
Suomi - Sumo
Land of the Midnight Sun - Land of the Rising Sun
Samurai - Samuristolainen

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
For those defending Nylander, have you ever consistently watched him play? And no snark intended, because if you've seen him a dozen times or more in Rochester than that's more than I have.

The games I saw him in Rochester he was often invisible, did not drive play, and quite honestly, looked a bit disinterested when he didn't have the puck.

If this was the result of an organization and coach failing to motivate him, then Chris Taylor has to be an awful coach.

And most accounts are that he isn't...

Reactions: Freeeeedom

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
According to Nylander, "(Chicago is) Really good with development players, so they actually know what they're doing." Sounds like a backhand slap to the Buffalo development team and you know what? He's right.

I just have to ask, if Alex knows that much about player development - more than the Sabres org, apparently - then why didn't he develop himself?

Member 308457

I just have to ask, if Alex knows that much about player development - more than the Sabres org, apparently - then why didn't he develop himself?

It sounds like you're asking a rhetorical question so I'm not going to address it, as in, you can't develop yourself.

As improved as the Amerks were last year, all you had to do is look up and see the "parent team" Sabres were probably worse than the Amerks, except for that 10 game stretch. So getting called up was like getting sent down. After three years of that nonsense, from Nylander's point of view, the Sabres have to look like an amateur organization. It must be very difficult being motivated to wearing the Sabre crest when all they do, year after year, is tank.

I look at the last eight years of Sabre hockey and think that management owes us a great team for all the suffering they've caused with their idiocy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TheStorm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad