Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Why are we worrying about his 5on5 play? It's been excellent...
Excellent is pushing it. He looks every bit the rookie. His positioning awareness is a plus in both ends but his engaging forcefully and successfully needs work. That's not even knock but let's bring it down a notch.

Weaves

Oct 28, 2013
Ottawa

Because the narrative has to change from "being a bust" to "he's a poor 5on5 player." Come on, you think he is escaping from criticism THAT easily. :laugh::sarcasm::sarcasm:

I think he has been excellent thus far, his IQ his excellent and much needed.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Excellent is pushing it. He looks every bit the rookie. His positioning awareness is a plus in both ends but his engaging forcefully and successfully needs work. That's not even knock but let's bring it down a notch.
If he keeps getting results I don't care how engaged he looks.

I would like him to shoot more though.

Reactions: Chainshot

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

His xGF/xGA are a bit of a concern. He's putting up good counting numbers, but he's also getting an avalanche of OZs, with a 53% CORSI. I feel better about Alex than prior to the season, but it's still too early to know where he lands in his large floor-ceiling range.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
His xGF/xGA are a bit of a concern. He's putting up good counting numbers, but he's also getting an avalanche of OZs, with a 53% CORSI. I feel better about Alex than prior to the season, but it's still too early to know where he lands in his large floor-ceiling range.

It’s a small sample either way. Counting stats, xGD, corsi, whatever. I have zero concern about him getting a bunch of OZone starts. Nylander is an “offense first” type player. Let him build up some confidence by putting up some stats and working on defensive zone stuff as it comes along.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
This guy's is gonna have a career based on how good he will be on the half wall on a PP.

I like Jack in that spot, but I think Jack can to on his strong side to and be more of a passer then shooter on the PP.

Nylander - Reinhart - Skinner
Dahlin - Eichel

How on earth was Tage Thompson here all season over Alex.

Ooh ooh, I know, I know...

[This thread will be fun if/when Nylander doesn't produce in the AHL playoffs, and Amerks fans predictably **** all over him and identify him as one of the primary reasons they lost.]

Reactions: Ball1374 and Weaves

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
From what I see I'd feel comfortable saying he can become a top six 60 point scorer. I really like his brain he can play fast as well as skate fast.

Reactions: Paxon

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
It’s a small sample either way. Counting stats, xGD, corsi, whatever. I have zero concern about him getting a bunch of OZone starts. Nylander is an “offense first” type player. Let him build up some confidence by putting up some stats and working on defensive zone stuff as it comes along.

No doubt, but those are the reasons I think it's premature for an overly enthusiastic projection. All things being equal i'd prefer to see poor results with underlying good metrics than good results with poor metrics.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
No doubt, but those are the reasons I think it's premature for an overly enthusiastic projection. All things being equal i'd prefer to see poor results with underlying good metrics than good results with poor metrics.
Underlying metrics are results.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If he keeps getting results I don't care how engaged he looks.

I would like him to shoot more though.
This is the rub to me, because as thrilled as I am with his production I am not going to expect him to just carry it over into next season. We've seen youngsters get hot in late season call-ups enough to know better. That's not to say I am not pleased with his progress or believe he can't produce in the top 6 next year. I'm just saying my expectations are going to be tempered until either his all-around game looks more consistent (will take time - not a knock) or he actually manages to produce over a long stretch, which would be great.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ooh ooh, I know, I know...

[This thread will be fun if/when Nylander doesn't produce in the AHL playoffs, and Amerks fans predictably **** all over him and identify him as one of the primary reasons they lost.]

As an aside: I'm actually expecting someone like Dalton Smith to come out for Bambi Tage and for that to have an underlying impact on the outcome.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
His advanced stats have not been great.
1st in CF%
1st in SCF%
5th in HDCF% (behind the 4th 1st line players and Pilut)

Corsica has him at about 46% expected goals share wile moneypuck has him at 51% so I have NO IDEA what's going on there lmao

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Nylander was a top 8 pick for a reason. At the very least it looks like he will be a 15 goal, 35-40 point middle 6 winger. I would be ecstatic with a consistent 20g,50p a season type production. He just turned 21 and will play nearly the entire 19-20 season before he turns 22. Nylander and Olofsson will be 2 of our 6 top 9 wingers next year.

Deleted member 27798

Comments about Nylander being soft or unwilling to battle along the boards and in the corners...not every player is going to be physical. Some are scorers, some are gritty, some are good defensive players. It's when you have a team of "soft" skilled players in your top 9(which the Sabres are), is when you get in trouble.

Botts needs to address the right "mix" of players in the off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad