Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I don't think his comments were that bad. He thought he'd be in the NHL sooner, so did everyone else.

You can look at his comments about Chicago's development as a shot at buffalo and it could be a little, but could also be his way of saying he's excited for Chicago and knows he has to continue to develop

Onry

Mar 6, 2006
I don't think his comments were that bad. He thought he'd be in the NHL sooner, so did everyone else.

You can look at his comments about Chicago's development as a shot at buffalo and it could be a little, but could also be his way of saying he's excited for Chicago and knows he has to continue to develop

That, sir, is very generous.

But highly unlikely

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'm glad I held back on posting Nylander is a lazy, fragile, horrible, unredeemable sack of crap rants. In order to get good value, it's critical that we trade these crappy players before other GM's know how bad they are. Repeat after me "Tage Thompson is a future all star."

I wonder if this works for vets too? Vladimir Sobotka is a defensively responsible 3C.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
They've all seen Sobotka so you have to focus intangibles.
"He's great in the locker room, leads by example in grooming and hygiene, best bowler on the team, his wife is a model

More for his resume - "Speaks multiple languages, has relocation experience"

Reactions: Buffaloed

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Murray made the first mistake allowing him to rush to the AHL. Then Botterill made the next by handing Tage and Mitts spots in the lineup, which is exactly what Nylander wanted.

Murray and Botterill probably exacerbated the situation but Nylander's issues are his own. There is a good player under there and with proper motivation he could very well thrive. It's just not a great look to require that type of motivation to put forth the necessary work.

Reactions: joshjull

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
To be fair, Nylander did look more NHL ready than both Tage and Casey. I wanted to see a bit more of Nylander with the big club but I'd take Joker over hoping Alex reaches his potential. It probably wasn't going to happen here. It could happen in Chicago. Good luck to him.

Last edited:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
To be fair, Nylander did look more NHL ready than both Tage and Casey. I wanted to see a bit more of Nylander with the big club but I'd take Joker over hoping Alex reaches his potential. It probably wasn't going to happen here. It could happen in Chicago. Good luck to him.
We don't know enough to be fair. The vast majority of what goes on in training camp isn't seen by fans. How diligently did Nylander follow his fitness and diet regimen? How did he respond to being shown different things on video? Did he understand what they were trying to show him? Was he vocal on the ice? Did he socialize and develop comraderie with his teammates?

fingerpainter

Dec 20, 2018
I'm surprised that Hawks fans and non-Buffalo ppl are into the deal - and saying how Nylander has tons of skill and potential. I mean, I hope so, but we really didn't see that, did we?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'm surprised that Hawks fans and non-Buffalo ppl are into the deal - and saying how Nylander has tons of skill and potential. I mean, I hope so, but we really didn't see that, did we?

The skill is definitely there. It's the drive to make anything of it that's the big question mark for Nylander.

Reactions: joshjull

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
We don't know enough to be fair. The vast majority of what goes on in training camp isn't seen by fans. How diligently did Nylander follow his fitness and diet regimen? How did he respond to being shown different things on video? Did he understand what they were trying to show him? Was he vocal on the ice? Did he socialize and develop comraderie with his teammates?

By "looked more NHL ready" I was referring to the on ice play in the NHL, not training camp. He didn't lost or out of place unlike Tage and Casey the majority of their time with the Sabres.

fingerpainter

Dec 20, 2018
Is it too far off to potentially compare him to Joel Armia? In terms of expectations, goal-scoring, AHL production, slow development, and ultimately ending up a decent 3rd liner?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Is it too far off to potentially compare him to Joel Armia? In terms of expectations, goal-scoring, AHL production, slow development, and ultimately ending up a decent 3rd liner?

In terms of raw skill? Sure, but...

Armia was better defensively and didnt shy away from contact. He was great at protecting the puck. I always knew he'd be something in the NHL whether that was a top-line goal scorer or on a checking line. Obviously he didnt hit his ceiling, but he's still a good NHLer. Nylander doesn't have that floor, imo. He's either in a scoring role or out of the league. I think he'll find his way on a secondary scoring line. Probably a 20 goal avg per season. The potential is there to be more ,tho.

deVolt

Jun 4, 2018
Göteborg
I'm glad the Nylander project is over. A very talented player with good hockey sense and filthy hands, above average skating, and good shot.
But all that is nothing if you lack the most important abilities,
motivation, drive, and heart. Abilities you cant teach. The Nylanders father & sons är self-entitled primadonnas,contact-shy, floaters. Good riddance!

Last edited:
Reactions: Genny Screamer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad