Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I intentionally did not reply to the llast post you quoted me in, because i don't want to clog this thread with Nylander posts. You are free to shuffle back a few pages in this thread or view my post history and see an in-depth reason why i felt Alex would be more effective in the NHL vs the AHL.

The rationale is not compicated, and it makes total sense if you look at the Nylander's in general. They are all the same kind of players, highly skilled, but always leaving you wanting more. Its not "sample size", dude is literally better than 75% of our forwards at worst and has been for some time. Just dont listen to the AHL and Twitter folk cause they all say he is terrible.

This board when they see his skill: :eek:

Ya I read your previous posts. They don’t fit the facts of his family either.

I hope he blooms nicely. But his struggles in the ahl sound like injuries and not being ready. Not family voodoo.

Great shot last night, hope he can keep it up.

Reactions: Weaves

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Watch history repeat itself when it is assumed Nylander can be the goal scoring winger to replace Skinner’s production.

It's more than just recent history as well -- think back to Foligno's initial recall... or Stafford's.... or hell, Pyatt's if we go back further. Expecting unsustainable late-season production to be the norm has bitten more than one person in the ass, both fan and front office type alike.

That said, good on Alex for showing up, being engaged, and producing some results.

Reactions: 5 Minute Major

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah, I would not disagree. Skinner was virtually invisible last night. He is hurt. It would be a good time to see what Nylander can do with more skilled players. He played well enough to play with Eichel and Reinhart last night. Alex can play left wing, he did the entire year on Mississauga. Would like to see him play with 2 smarter players. I think this line can work. And it would give the Sabres an idea if they should go all in on Skinner this summer.

Nylander was also mostly playing LW in Rochester this season as well. I'd like to see him get some turns on Jack's wing -- left, right, it doesn't matter, just want to see if there is a spark there.

Reactions: Mitts888

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
I still saw too many "mail it in" shifts last night...peel away down low instead of getting into the corners or throwing a hit. The good news is that he looks a lot more dangerous with the puck off the rush than he did before. There is something to work with...even if it will eventually be another team trying to put the pieces together.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
What’s Esa Tikkanen up to these days?

Haha, if only. I still think Girgs is that guy, at least of who we currently have.

We just need a coach with the guts to stick it out, even when Girgs might lag behind in raw production to his linemates.

He and Hyman are the same dudes. Size, speed, scrappy and excellent sticks on the forecheck.

Those types of guys drive the energy on a top line and create so many opportunities for the talent. It’s so basic and yet we have had nit wit coaching for so long.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Sabres' Nylander getting a chance with Eichel

Nylander%204.jpg

Buffalo, NY (WGR 550) - Not only are the Sabres getting a look at Alex Nylander, but on Saturday he’s going to get an opportunity to play with Jack Eichel. In his last two games Nylander has a goal and two assists. He said this is going to be a great opportunity, “It’s great for me to play with a player like that, so I’ve just got to keep moving my feet and playing a simple game getting pucks to the net and try to create plays to Jack and Sheary.”

Phil Housley really has nothing to lose by giving Nylander this chance. He said, “We’re going to give him the opportunity with Jack and see what he can do.

“Jack’s excited to play with Alex because he brings a skill set and I think he’s just got to attack the game like he did in the third period and when he does that, he’s effective.”

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I liked his backcheck on the odd-man rush late in the period.

Not the same sort of catalyst effect on Sheary tonight, but that goal was a beauty.

Weaves

Oct 28, 2013
Ottawa
Another snipe tonight

4 points in 3 games.

Very small sample size. Doubters ready to eat crow?

Nah, the odd poster will though. Wonder who the Amerks guys are gonna hate on now, they lost their bff. I figured Alex would do better in the NHL and here we are. Great to see.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Another 2 points today or did he not touch the puck on Eichel's goal?

Last I saw, the Eichel goal was listed as unassisted, but that was only a minute or 2 after it happened, so that might not have been final. In any case, the goal was another nice snipe.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Another snipe tonight

4 points in 3 games.

Very small sample size. Doubters ready to eat crow?
i was and still slightly am a doubter, i remember mitts last year and now this year so im not gonna get my hopes too high especially after having doubt with his development. I'm open minded though would be so sick to have a floundering prospect become top 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad