Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Isn’t Johansson a LW? I need @Chainshot to put another depth chart together.

Johansson - Mittelstadt- Nylander
MoJo said he has mostly played LW with some C sprinkled in. Obviously, someone will be playing on their off wing to round out the top 9. My guess is VO. Maybe because I want him to have that howitzer always loaded.

Either way, after Reinhart and Okposo, there's a few guys that could probably play on either side...
VO
Thompson
Vesey
Nylander
Sheary

I don't really think MoJo is one of them though.

Reactions: Mitts888

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
LWCRW
SkinnerEichelReinhart
JohanssonMittsOkposo
ShearyLarssonThompson
VeseyRuotsalainenNylander
GirgensonsLazar
OlofssonDea
CJ SmithSobotka
Wilson
Ellie
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

And then there's Rodrigues who is pretty position flexible.

Reactions: Mitts888

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I think he was more a casualty of the numbers game, he played LW on the Steelheads, I dont know if his game translated over to RW which we are very low on, outside of Reinhart the next in line is Okposo.. that's pretty ugly.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Off the ice?

Don't really recall any "incidents" other than him reportedly being a little cocky, etc.
Friedman reported a few years ago that Nylander and his agent told Sabres management after the WJC that if Alex didn't get NHL games by the end of the season he would leave for Sweden and other team execs had gotten word of it. There's the rumors that they used Sweden as leverage to being fast tracked to the AHL after being drafted as well.

I think Murray should have called their bluff from the get go and let Nylander develop in Sweden for 2 years. It's one of his bigger mistakes. But he seemed to be stuck with his accelerated rebuild ways. It's also tough for smaller market teams to balk at agents and players when they try to strong arm an organization so I understand why he sent him to Rochester even if it was a terrible decision in hindsight.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Friedman reported a few years ago that Nylander and his agent told Sabres management after the WJC that if Alex didn't get NHL games by the end of the season he would leave for Sweden and other team execs had gotten word of it. There's the rumors that they used Sweden as leverage to being fast tracked to the AHL after being drafted as well.

I think Murray should have called their bluff from the get go and let Nylander develop in Sweden for 2 years. It's one of his bigger mistakes. But he seemed to be stuck with his accelerated rebuild ways. It's also tough for smaller market teams to balk at agents and players when they try to strong arm an organization so I understand why he sent him to Rochester even if it was a terrible decision in hindsight.

Never knew that, interesting. Makes sense in hindsight as to why Murray may have rushed him to the A.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

I remember this as well.

In retrospect, Sweden would have been the best place for him.

Also, Murray was in 'acceleration' mode, and why he threw picks around like he did. He probably believed Nylander could quickly make the roster.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I won't throw shade, even if it appears he might be, but I'll say this: I'm happy to no longer no associated with this player.

coastal

Jun 22, 2016

This is spot on

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Murray seems to have had a unique talent for acquiring headaches/headcases.

Reactions: jc17

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Even with the additions of Vesey and Johansson, I’m hoping Alex is the surprise to make the roster out of camp. He really could be a game changer for the organization after who I would like to see paired with Johansson.
What do people expect? Maybe a poll...

1. Gets traded this summer
2. Another season in Rochester
3. Makes and permanently sticks with the Sabres
4. Traded at the deadline after we pump his tires.
Guess I picked the right day to bump this thread. My ears must have been burning. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->