Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
1st in CF%
1st in SCF%
5th in HDCF% (behind the 4th 1st line players and Pilut)

Corsica has him at about 46% expected goals share wile moneypuck has him at 51% so I have NO IDEA what's going on there lmao

Hockey reference has him at -0.9 xG. It's a small sample size, but given his high ozone usage you'd think he'd have very good scoring chance generation.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Sabres' Nylander had another frustrating season

Rochester, NY (WGR 550) - Alex Nylander had another injury plagued, disappointing season. The 21-year-old only played 49 games in Rochester and then got 12 games with the Sabres.

In those 49 games the winger had 12 goals and 19 assists for 31 points. His stint in Buffalo started very well, but he tailed off quite a bit at the end. Nylander had two goals and two assists for the Sabres.

In early April Nylander suffered a cut on his leg. He finished the game and Phil Housley said he was day-to-day, but would be fine and ready for the playoffs in Rochester. Nylander never played in the Amerks three playoff games and said the cut didn’t get infected. He said, “No, we got things done on it and it got worse day-by-day and now it’s getting better and better, but I was still not able to recover as fast as I would’ve liked, so it was really unfortunate that I couldn’t be with the team and on the ice like I wanted to be.”

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
That leg cut thing is so weird. I don’t know why this organization continues to be so vague when it comes to injury. If I was a betting man I’d say he was dealing with some type infection. Just a guess, strange nonetheless.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Skinner - Eichel - Nylander maybe. Although I do not rule out that Botterill will add it to some deal.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Wow, talk about a pessimistic under valuation of our prospects

I’m never impressed by him and don’t like the way he plays. He’s the opposite of what this team needs right now.

Would you honestly give up a first for him if you were another team? I like to be optimistic about our prospects but trying not to let my fandom affect my assessment.

Reactions: Rasmus Reichel

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I’m never impressed by him and don’t like the way he plays. He’s the opposite of what this team needs right now.

Would you honestly give up a first for him if you were another team? I like to be optimistic about our prospects but trying not to let my fandom affect my assessment.
Just because you're not impressed with him doesnt mean others dont see more in him. He would still add lots of value in a package deal if needed and I am curious as to why dont you think he is what we need?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's had some tough breaks in terms of injury. It doesn't help the narrative, certainly.

Hopefully he puts in yet another strong off-season of work. It really is too bad that he was advised to stay in NA in his D+1 year and that the team kept him. If he'd had a couple of modest seasons in the SHL, out of sight, and then came in an injury-pocked first NA year featuring the same production he had this year, including the recall, there would be far less concern and likely much greater shine on the kid's future.

At this point, playing him is the way to rebuild his value and if he's productive, great. And if they do rebuild his value and decide to trade him at a later date, that's the team's prerogative. At this point though, his perceived value likely isn't going to be all that great. He might be used as a sweetener in a deal, or in a stalled-prospect-for-stalled-prospect deal, but there isn't going to be "lots of value" in what he's worth on the trade market. "Unproductive, oft-injured perimeter guy with meddling father" is going to take a bit of productive time to get out from under.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
I thought he looked really good in the NHL for the most part. I think with some good coaching, and an honest chance to stick in the top 6, he could be a decent contributor.

I think his skills require playing with other skilled players that have some semblance of Hockey IQ, which he does seem to have. People seem to love to hate on this kid, but he's been one of the more impressive call ups and appears to still have a decently bright NHL future.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Just because you're not impressed with him doesnt mean others dont see more in him. He would still add lots of value in a package deal if needed and I am curious as to why dont you think he is what we need?

He’s can take advantage of opportunities but can’t create them as well as top 6 players on other teams. We need players who have a positive impact on the linemates 5v5.

He’ll be an nhl player but there’s an opportunity cost for having him in the top 6 over someone with a better overall impact. I don’t see him as a gamer in the playoffs either.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Top6 next year
PP1 or 2
I believe!
If he is healthy

Last edited:

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
He’s can take advantage of opportunities but can’t create them as well as top 6 players on other teams. We need players who have a positive impact on the linemates 5v5.

He’ll be an nhl player but there’s an opportunity cost for having him in the top 6 over someone with a better overall impact. I don’t see him as a gamer in the playoffs either.
Who played this year in the top6 as a winger that was actually good except Reinhart & Skinner?
If they don't add (or even lose Skinner) I don't see how not.
There's Oloffsson..that's it...

Sheary not as smart and falls
Erod has the heart but neither the IQ or hands.

Nylander showed top6 smarts/passing/positioning
And stood out to me in his last call up.

Can he do it over a full season?
Let's find out

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

He could be a transitional player who is better than what they have now on the wing, either in terms of production or cost (or both), and function as an upgrade to the roster as part of the pathway forward. Since they don't seem to have players who will make a better overall impact in their pipeline yet, he can assume a position in the lineup that will one day be supplanted by another.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Is he a guy you want in the playoffs? Based on what I've seen of his game, and based on the playoffs we have seen this season, not really. He doesn't have very much intensity in his game.

Then again, our priority is doing well in the regular season right now. So I think Nylander is a good bet to crack the roster in September.

Let's not forget that Alex got called up when we were completely incapable of scoring goals. We were getting shutout left and right. Can't blame him for the offense tailing off, but he did his part.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
He could be a transitional player who is better than what they have now on the wing, either in terms of production or cost (or both), and function as an upgrade to the roster as part of the pathway forward. Since they don't seem to have players who will make a better overall impact in their pipeline yet, he can assume a position in the lineup that will one day be supplanted by another.

I agree with this, his lower cap hit would also be able to cover up the obscene cap hit of Okposo for the next few years. If you get something useful in return, then by all means shop or trade him.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Here's hoping that next year, Tage Thompson has the inverse of the Tage Thompson season.

He's definitely a project forward. He skates well for his stride, but like a pitcher with an awkward throwing motion he has some things to fix. He's 22, so he showed some good things and a lot of work needed.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Who played this year in the top6 as a winger that was actually good except Reinhart & Skinner?
If they don't add (or even lose Skinner) I don't see how not.
There's Oloffsson..that's it...

Sheary not as smart and falls
Erod has the heart but neither the IQ or hands.

Nylander showed top6 smarts/passing/positioning
And stood out to me in his last call up.

Can he do it over a full season?
Let's find out

Even with the additions of Vesey and Johansson, I’m hoping Alex is the surprise to make the roster out of camp. He really could be a game changer for the organization after who I would like to see paired with Johansson.
What do people expect? Maybe a poll...

1. Gets traded this summer
2. Another season in Rochester
3. Makes and permanently sticks with the Sabres
4. Traded at the deadline after we pump his tires.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
The answer for Nylander will be found on the right wing. That’s his entry opportunity. Just have to beat out Tage and a few others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad