Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
I'm curious as to that as well. They have a number of options for scoring line wingers now so there is less pressure there. Smith and perhaps Olofsson are in the mix. But his involvement/engagement are certainly better than before. It would be interesting to see if he had not been in Rochester for these last two years and was simply doing what he's doing this year as a first year player. I suspect the hype would be much stronger to get him in the lineup sooner rather than later.
He would have been one of the top prospects in hockey if he stayed in OHL.Saw him against Windsor spit fires,very tantalizing skill set but very physically immature.Hard to believe that sabres management and his agent would think its a good idea to put him in AHL him being so physically immature.Hope he develops and now looking legit
I'm curious as to that as well. They have a number of options for scoring line wingers now so there is less pressure there. Smith and perhaps Olofsson are in the mix. But his involvement/engagement are certainly better than before. It would be interesting to see if he had not been in Rochester for these last two years and was simply doing what he's doing this year as a first year player. I suspect the hype would be much stronger to get him in the lineup sooner rather than later.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
He would have been one of the top prospects in hockey if he stayed in OHL.Saw him against Windsor spit fires,very tantalizing skill set but very physically immature.Hard to believe that sabres management and his agent would think its a good idea to put him in AHL him being so physically immature.Hope he develops and now looking legit

I thought they didn’t have a choice with Alex to leave him in juniors.

I was under the impression that it was either Rochester, or back to Sweden.

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
I thought they didn’t have a choice with Alex to leave him in juniors.

I was under the impression that it was either Rochester, or back to Sweden.
Oh really? Ok then how did he get to Barrie? I would have put him back to Sweden then if that's the case.He was too physically immature for a tough league like AHL and Rochester was in shambles as well

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Oh really? Ok then how did he get to Barrie? I would have put him back to Sweden then if that's the case.He was too physically immature for a tough league like AHL and Rochester was in shambles as well

He was there on loan from his Swedish club in his draft year. I don't know whether that necessarily means he couldn't have gone back after the draft, but he might've needed to be loaned from Sweden again.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I liked his game tonight. But I’ve liked his game most of the Rochester games I’ve seen.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Anyone know if Nylander has been playing LW or RW more predominantly in Rochester? I'm wondering where he's more likely to play in Buffalo when the time comes.
Strictly LW. All three of Nylander, Olofsson, and Smith have played LW on their top three lines, with only Smith having a weekend or two at RW/C among the three.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Nylander must be terrible if his spot is taken by TT.
I would bet good money that if Nylander had won the spot out of camp the same thing would be consistently said about Tage and there would be an uproar to switch them. This fanbase is never satisfied with the way things are, ever. No matter what the plan or timetable is.

Think about this...if Nylander was in the NHL struggling and Thompson was in the AHL doing fairly well, do you think TT (if promoted) would be a better NHL player than he is now, or a worse one? I say worse. 30+ games of NHL experience can't be replicated in the AHL, and as long as his confidence stays up (which it should, as the coaches are working with him and playing him rather than burying him in the pressbox) it can only be a good move for the future. Maybe that's at the expense of right now, and that's fine, right now is less important.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
The sabres have missed the playoffs the past 7 years and you're over here berating the fanbase for not being satisfied? o_O
When we were in the middle of the winning streak people were still griping about Thompson being in the lineup over others in Rochester. I think it would be far more detrimental to the future of the team to send him down now rather than coaching and building him up over the rest of the season. There will be injury callups and plenty of them, everyone is going to get a chance. Hell, we're still putting Remy Elie and Sobotka out there...lets deal with that situation before messing with the prospects who actually have a good future with the team.

Weaves

Oct 28, 2013
Ottawa
I would bet good money that if Nylander had won the spot out of camp the same thing would be consistently said about Tage and there would be an uproar to switch them. This fanbase is never satisfied with the way things are, ever. No matter what the plan or timetable is.

Think about this...if Nylander was in the NHL struggling and Thompson was in the AHL doing fairly well, do you think TT (if promoted) would be a better NHL player than he is now, or a worse one? I say worse. 30+ games of NHL experience can't be replicated in the AHL, and as long as his confidence stays up (which it should, as the coaches are working with him and playing him rather than burying him in the pressbox) it can only be a good move for the future. Maybe that's at the expense of right now, and that's fine, right now is less important.

I understand your point, first off.

But we don't know how Nylander would do in the NHL, that's the problem. Should have made the team after his pre-season.

But what we DO know, is that Thompson SHOULD be in the AHL, and is not.

Bring up Nylander already!

Reactions: Vesperia

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I understand your point, first off.

But we don't know how Nylander would do in the NHL, that's the problem. Should have made the team after his pre-season.

But what we DO know, is that Thompson SHOULD be in the AHL, and is not.

Bring up Nylander already!
Seems like an appropriate place to quote Fezzy from earlier today...Thompson has been our best statistical forward from outside the top line, by a fair margin.

You pose a convincing counterargument...

Last 6 games:
60.9 CF% (1st among forwards)
58.s SF% (2nd)
61.5 SCF% (2nd)
57.1 HDCF% (2nd)

and he's done all of that while playing with a mishmash or Sobotka, Pommers, Girgs, Larsson, and a few others...

The game is there, the points will come. He's playing very well and his game is rounding into form. Patience is a virtue.

Weaves

Oct 28, 2013
Ottawa
Seems like an appropriate place to quote Fezzy from earlier today...Thompson has been our best statistical forward from outside the top line, by a fair margin.

The game is there, the points will come. He's playing very well and his game is rounding into form. Patience is a virtue.

Fair enough.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thompson seems to be driving the boat again this past week and despite my dislike of Sobotka and Pominville, that was the only line with push against the Bruins and to an extent against the Isles.

That said, I wonder what someone like Nylander could do for Mitts. Get him someone who can also create a bit off the rush, distribute and finish in their own right while getting up the ice with speed... see if that works.

In the meantime, I hope he is healthy and pushes his way onto the roster with continued improved play. He's close to getting back to the show, I'd love to see him get a shot. He's no Remi Elie, but hey, who is?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The sabres have missed the playoffs the past 7 years and you're over here berating the fanbase for not being satisfied? o_O
The only team with greater futility over that period was the one with the owner who had to raid his kid's trust funds to get the money to keep said team going.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
When we were in the middle of the winning streak people were still griping about Thompson being in the lineup over others in Rochester. I think it would be far more detrimental to the future of the team to send him down now rather than coaching and building him up over the rest of the season. There will be injury callups and plenty of them, everyone is going to get a chance. Hell, we're still putting Remy Elie and Sobotka out there...lets deal with that situation before messing with the prospects who actually have a good future with the team.
I mean first off "This fanbase is never satisfied with the way things are, ever." is demonstrably false. And you used the words of a poster with 100 posts to their name to generalize to the entire fanbase.

But the team is in freefall and people are lashing out because they want it to feel like management is a dissatisfied with the way things are as the rest of us are. There's not much to be satisfied with at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad