Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I mean first off "This fanbase is never satisfied with the way things are, ever." is demonstrably false. And you used the words of a poster with 100 posts to their name to generalize to the entire fanbase.

But the team is in freefall and people are lashing out because they want it to feel like management is a dissatisfied with the way things are as the rest of us are. There's not much to be satisfied with at the moment.
48 points in 40 games?? Am I missing something? This may well be a free fall, as I don't think anyone thought Huts and the 1st line were going to carry them the whole way, but it could also just be a slump. Flip flopping the Americans roster with the Sabres roster(which seems to be a pretty popular idea), isn't the answer anyway.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Interesting to track Zadina's production.

17 points in 28 games. I think Nylander had a similar start in his first half of his AHL rookie year before cooling off considerably.

Josh007007

Jan 17, 2019
Any shot of him being called up and being a big offensive weapon.

It's sad when you've Ben waiting on this kid for so long to do something in the NHL

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
He should have never been in the AHL at 18
He should have made the opening day roster
He has almost as many points as last year in 30 less games

To some his development might look slow or bad but no CHL player plays in the AHL until they are 20. He has had to deal with injuries over his AHL career but is definitely improving year over year.

Reactions: Reddawg

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
He should have never been in the AHL at 18
He should have made the opening day roster
He has almost as many points as last year in 30 less games

To some his development might look slow or bad but no CHL player plays in the AHL until they are 20. He has had to deal with injuries over his AHL career but is definitely improving year over year.

If "last year" means 2 years ago, this is correct

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Not many guys with similar AHL production levels have been successful producing in the NHL. Yes, there's more to the game than scoring, but this is the role he'd be expected to play.

There certainly are some that have, like Mark Stone, but more like the exception than the rule.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Not many guys with similar AHL production levels have been successful producing in the NHL. Yes, there's more to the game than scoring, but this is the role he'd be expected to play.

There certainly are some that have, like Mark Stone, but more like the exception than the rule.

DeBrusk as well.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
DeBrusk as well.
Debrusk was a bit better at the same age, but anyway there are a lot of players that can be named but still the minority.

Nylander reminds me of grigorenko in a way. I'm not firmly in the "trade camp" though because I don't think he has much value.

The chance he becomes a good player is probably higher than the value of whatever he would get us in a trade.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

ROCHESTER, N.Y. —There’s a certain pressure that comes with being a first-round pick in the NHL, let alone one selected in the top 10. For Alexander Nylander, the expectations of his draft position and hockey legacy have made the process of becoming an everyday player in the NHL even more challenging.

By now, Nylander’s history is known. He was taken eighth by the Sabres at the 2016 NHL Draft in front of a hometown crowd at KeyBank Center. He’s the son of longtime NHL star Michael Nylander. In the middle of his third season with the AHL’s Rochester Americans, the 20-year-old is the brother of budding Maple Leafs star William Nylander.

After being selected by former GM Tim Murray and now under Jason Botterill’s regime, Nylander has been given the slow and steady path to the NHL by going through the AHL. There are some who view the AHL as a professional purgatory, but it’s the top professional developmental league in the world. For a player of Nylander’s upbringing, playing against career professionals rather than schooling kids his age or younger in junior hockey can pay off.

“I’m a lot more experienced and I know that this league is a tough league. It’s hard to play here, which I’ve learned my first two years,” Nylander said. “It was nice coming in this year, I was ready last year but that injury changed a lot of that season. That was my first injury ever in my life so it was weird to come back from that, but I just think of all the things I’ve learned and I feel a lot better now. I’m way more experienced and I’m still learning things and trying to get better every day.”

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON

Who has he been playing with in the A?

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Lets say hes a bust (I dont think he is as good as his draft position)

You better move his ass before everyone else figures it out

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
He had a great preseason, it was a mistake to send him down. He should have been rewarded for his play but Botts sent him down. Yes it was only preseason but that is the point of preseason. To me that is a mark on Botts.

Reactions: Vesperia

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
The Nylander family is certainly suspect to the floater gene.
He will be frustrating to watch even if he becomes somewhat productive at the next level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad